Tories launch biggest crackdown on trade unions in 30 years

FlyerTon

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many unions came out solidly for the union? Oh, most of them? Regardless of the views of their membership? Ah well, they must be very happy to have got what they wanted.

• 3 weeks later...

the unions went with better together so stuff them

So you will never support the trade union movement until we achieve independence? That's quite a strong position to take and also a misguided one. Surely protection of workers rights should be supported regardless of political affiliation during the referendum?

So you will never support the trade union movement until we achieve independence? That's quite a strong position to take and also a misguided one. Surely protection of workers rights should be supported regardless of political affiliation during the referendum?

my post was slightly flippant and I certainly do worry that the Tories, now let loose with their overall majority, will start/have started a campaign against the ordinary working man/woman. Having said that, the main unions obviously preferred a Tory UK to an Independent Scotland; at least that was the view of the TU leaders, usually without asking the members

my post was slightly flippant and I certainly do worry that the Tories, now let loose with their overall majority, will start/have started a campaign against the ordinary working man/woman. Having said that, the main unions obviously preferred a Tory UK to an Independent Scotland; at least that was the view of the TU leaders, usually without asking the members

Trade unions will mostly always oppose Conservatist Party governments. I don't think they preferred the Tories as such; i think they were just more or less wholly suportive of maintaining the Union, ideally with a Labour government in power.

Trade unions will mostly always oppose Conservatist Party governments. I don't think they preferred the Tories as such; i think they were just more or less wholly suportive of maintaining the Union, ideally with a Labour government in power.

that worked out well for them

Were they short sighted, stupid or vindictive?

It was obvious the UK was heading for another Conservative government, whether as part of an alliance with UKIP or in it's own right. It was also obvious that when this happened, the Unions would see what little was left of their power stripped even further.

The only way for them to increase their ability to act positively on behalf of their members in the UK would have been to completely redesign the UK political set up. They voted against that.

Fuds.

Were they short sighted, stupid or vindictive?

It was obvious the UK was heading for another Conservative government, whether as part of an alliance with UKIP or in it's own right. It was also obvious that when this happened, the Unions would see what little was left of their power stripped even further.

The only way for them to increase their ability to act positively on behalf of their members in the UK would have been to completely redesign the UK political set up. They voted against that.

Fuds.

Not so sure that your assertion that it was obvious the next UK government would be conservative or Tory/UKIP is correct, especially at the time of the referendum.

When you take into account the large UKIP vote for a tiny return in MPs it was entirely possible that Labour MAY have won the election with a great campaign.

I think that the Unions singular failure has been to blindly follow labour through the Blair years and beyond, I guess like a lot of the Scottish electorate. They should have tried the tail wagging the dog.

On that basis, and their collective stance on BT, they are indeed Fuds.

Not so sure that your assertion that it was obvious the next UK government would be conservative or Tory/UKIP is correct, especially at the time of the referendum.

When you take into account the large UKIP vote for a tiny return in MPs it was entirely possible that Labour MAY have won the election with a great campaign.

I think that the Unions singular failure has been to blindly follow labour through the Blair years and beyond, I guess like a lot of the Scottish electorate. They should have tried the tail wagging the dog.

On that basis, and their collective stance on BT, they are indeed Fuds.

Seemed obvious to me. Borderline non existent Labour leadership, a Tory government that was popular with the City and all that goes with it, and the obvious campaign promoting Labour as being too weak to deal with the Scottish Nationalists was always going to return the Conservatives.

It would have taken a minor miracle for Labour to pull off anything beyond a coalition with the SNP, and in the end it was the threat of that scenario which turned out to be their downfall, as it was always going to be. The Conservatives played their hand well, and Labour, despite knowing how the deck was stacked, were f*cking useless in dealing with it.

I agree somewhat with your synopsis, but I'm in the camp that was hoping that it would be hung parliament with Labour begging the SNP for a loose coalition or an issue by issue agreement. This maybe clouded my view on the run up to the GE, not living in the UK maybe I wasn't seeing the entire picture.

As things turned out, I think the election result has strengthened the case for Indy, I feel sorry for everyone suffering under the Tory cuts, but in the long run it will be good for Scotland.

I just wonder, if Corbyn wins, what the unions / labour / independence stance will alter to. If at all.

UKIP were not expected by many to form part of a government, seeing as they were never going to win enough seats.

They picked up enough votes to suggest the threat they posed to the Tories was real.

Archived