Question for Stranraer Fans

I am a Sunderland fan who is trying to complete all the 42 Scottish league grounds. I have been on a pretty low key visit to East Fife this afternoon and now have my eye on a visit to Stair Park on August 1st when you play Stenhousemuir. Don't tell the wife though as I have not broached it with her yet!!

I sometimes attend Scottish matches with a few fellow Sunderland fans and I am hopeful of persuading a few of them to join me on this particular trip as it looks like it has potential to be a great day out. I don't like to waste the good ones with a drive in on the day and bugger off afterwards sort of trip (no offence to the inhabitants of Methil and Leven).

I have a couple of questions. We like to wear our Sunderland shirts on these trips as it tends to get people into conversation and by doing this we have had some great weekends away in Scotland meeting some fantastic football people. Will the colours be an issue in Stranraer? We also like to have the odd drink or ten and will probably look to stay over and travel back on the Sunday, so are there enough bars to keep us 'entertained', We are not fussy as we are all late 40 somethings who just like a drink and don't expect or particularly want lively music bars and dancing girls. A few pubs and a bit of conversation is all we require.

Finally, I notice you have your own social club, which looks right up our street as what we really enjoy most is meeting fans of other clubs and having a beer and a chat about the football (and anything else really) Will we be welcome in there pre and possibly post match? (remember we will be wearing Sunderland shirts pre match). Seeing a match at a new ground is one thing, but chatting to some proper fans of the clubs involved makes it a far better experience for us.

If I can persuade a few of my fellow Roker Rovers, this would be my 29th Scottish ground and the 8th that a group of us have done. Any info would be greatly appreciated and all the best for the forthcoming season.

We might even give you a rendition of SAFC's Kevin Kyle song if you're unlucky ;)

Suspect your Sunderland shirts would generate plenty of conversation and absolutely no problem, both in the social club and the ground. Possibly worth calling the social club first just to let them know you're coming.

Loads of pubs in the town - think you're right not to expect too many dancing girls though!

You'll be made very welcome at the game and in the town!

Suspect your Sunderland shirts would generate plenty of conversation and absolutely no problem, both in the social club and the ground. Possibly worth calling the social club first just to let them know you're coming.

Loads of pubs in the town - think you're right not to expect too many dancing girls though!

Don't listen to him my mackem chum, you'll get your c**t kicked in.

Cheers mate, Just what I expected as we have been made welcome everywhere we have been in your fine country. If the lads are up for it I will ring ahead to warn them of the Mackem invasion.

When we went on a pre season tour of Falkirk, Arbroath and Stirling Albion last season, we got mentioned over the tannoy at both Gayfield Park and Forthbank, which was rediculous as we never told either club we were coming.

With my previous knowledge of the Scots, I think we will take the risk mate ;)

We are a gregarious bunch that never gets into trouble.

You don't know what these Stranraerians are like man, savage bunch of people.

I went into the home end when they were last in the league with Hibs (98/99) as I was at the butlins in Ayr, stepdad was a massive Stranraer fan.

Hibs scored a last minute winner and I lost 5 teeth and got a broken jaw.

I was 7.

You don't know what these Stranraerians are like man, savage bunch of people.

I went into the home end when they were last in the league with Hibs (98/99) as I was at the butlins in Ayr, stepdad was a massive Stranraer fan.

Hibs scored a last minute winner and I lost 5 teeth and got a broken jaw.

I was 7.

I can see where you went wrong mate. You were not wearing a Sunderland shirt were you?

Schoolboy error.

PS - Done my stint at the Butlins in Ayr when my kids were kids. Now they are adults, me and the wife go abroad and relax instead. Those 'holidays' when the kids were young and we had next to nowt, were great fun at the time but they were also hard work and sometimes I was glad to get back to work for a rest :) .

I am a Sunderland fan who is trying to complete all the 42 Scottish league grounds. I have been on a pretty low key visit to East Fife this afternoon and now have my eye on a visit to Stair Park on August 1st when you play Stenhousemuir. Don't tell the wife though as I have not broached it with her

We might even give you a rendition of SAFC's Kevin Kyle song if you're unlucky ;)

I think I'm correct in saying there's a Sunderland top signed by Kevin Kyle framed and on the wall of the club.

You will all be made very welcome at Stair Park .

I think I'm correct in saying there's a Sunderland top signed by Kevin Kyle framed and on the wall of the club.

You will all be made very welcome at Stair Park .

He's very well liked by our lot and especially the lads I go to the games with. He always gave 100% for us which is all we ever ask of any player.

Am sure you would enjoy your trip they are generally a good bunch. Have stayed overnight a couple times when we have been down there midweek as it takes around 4-5hrs to get there. Saturday trips i usually leave Weds & have a wee trip over to Belfast on the ferry & manage a couple days golf & sometimes a Fri night Irish game before our game on the Saturday.

When we went on a pre season tour of Falkirk, Arbroath and Stirling Albion last season

Was this at the last game of the season against Stenhousemuir?? Seemed to be a lot of Sunderland fans sitting next to me that day.

You will be more than welcome in Stranraer I'm sure.I would love to be in the social club when conversations start,Galloway Irish v Geordie great stuff,I have been away from Stranraer for 30 odd year and folks still think I come from Aberdeen,Belfast,Fife etc have a good un.

Sorry to but in... Was wondering if the Sunderland fans here could help me out? Me and a mate came down last season to watch you play Spurs in 2-2 game- great day out, cheap tickets etc. Looking to do the same again but last season we got tickets for u22s I think for £19 which was a phenomenal price for the game we seen. Is there the same price plan this season as I can't see it on the website? Thanks

Sorry to but in... Was wondering if the Sunderland fans here could help me out? Me and a mate came down last season to watch you play Spurs in 2-2 game- great day out, cheap tickets etc. Looking to do the same again but last season we got tickets for u22s I think for £19 which was a phenomenal price for the game we seen. Is there the same price plan this season as I can't see it on the website? Thanks

As far as I am aware the prices are the same as last season, at least the season tickets are, so no reason to think the match day prices will have changed. They do vary depending on the category of the game, so matches v Newcastle, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and the Manchester clubs tend to be more expensive.

Archived