Players you got wrong

Following on from the recent "Transfer Duds" thread, are there any players that spring to mind who you originally thought would be brilliant...and later turned out to be utter dross...

It was the mention of Teemu Pukki that put me in mind of this. When I saw him at first I thought he'd be a great addition for Celtic. Having played fairly regularly in the bundesliga, and already a pretty experienced international when he arrived in Scotland - I really thought he'd be that sort of quick, compact forward that tends to score barrowloads in our league...9 goals in 38 games later and he's disappeared back to Scandavian anonymity.

Closer to home - over the course of the first few games last season I thought Chris Chantler might end up our player of the season. He originally appeared to be a busy full-back, whose first instinct seemed a forward pass...until around September/October when he seemingly forgot how to sprint, tackle and cross the halfway line all at once.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phillip Roberts. No idea who he plays for now. Think he was at Dundee and Falkirk after ICT. We got him in season 12-13 and he scored a wonderful goal against United, then seemed to forget totally how to play football. Thankfully Hughes saw the same and got rid of him pronto.

Phillip Roberts. No idea who he plays for now. Think he was at Dundee and Falkirk after ICT. We got him in season 12-13 and he scored a wonderful goal against United, then seemed to forget totally how to play football. Thankfully Hughes saw the same and got rid of him pronto.

He's still with us.

I thought Yoann Folly was going to be the next Markus Heikkenen but his career ending injury meant he was working in JJB a few months later.

I'll also admit I'd given up on Ash Taylor after the Hamilton away game. He's turned out to be an excellent player.

Others who I thought were gonna be special: Calvin Zola, Gregg Wylde, Josh Magennis.

My sincere commiserations. He's fucking scat.

You basically summed him up perfectly for us. Good promising few games to start with then went off the boil with his shite attitude. There's definitely a player there but he just needs to screw the nut.

I thought we had wasted £4.5m on an overweight, injury prone, disciplinary problem striker in John Hartson back in the day, he'll be lucky to last 20 games at Celtic before being punted to Bristol Rovers or something I said at the time, seem to recall he turned out okay.

I also thought Eyal Berkovic, Efrain Juarez and David Fernandez would be sensational for Celtic so that is a decent gauge of my judgement :lol:

Craig Beattie :lol:

I thought Chris Millar was gash in his early days at Saints. I got that one very wrong.

My biggest one was Paul Sheerin. Thought he was an absolute dud for 2 seasons. Well I'm glad that paned out differently.

Probably the worst player I've seen for us. Due to the fact he carried on getting game time and he just didn't give a f**k, add that to the fact he was just utterly brutal at football.

He absolutely roasted Izzaguire in the 1-1 draw at Dens last season, thought the guy was terrific at the time.

In hindsight probably more down to Izzy not being the greatest full back on the planet

Jesus, Craig Beattie, I had forgotten he was even on the books at St J's. Never known a player to deserve the moniker of "Sick Note" so much.

Similarly I expected better things of Derek Riordan given his past pedigree but alas.

Craig Beattie :lol:

I thought Chris Millar was gash in his early days at Saints. I got that one very wrong.

I reckon i was one of the only ones who said Beattie would fail from the moment he signed. Many fruitless hours spent on WAP arguing the fact hes an absolute crock and not just not being played as the manager hated him.

I got McInnes wrong. Absolutely hated him to start with and thought he'd be completely shite, yet he turned into a massive person at the club. Gave Millar plenty of criticism too, same with MacLean, who i wanted rid of six months after he'd signed.

Archived