• Created
  • Last Reply

FTs:

Civil Service Strollers 3-0 Newton Stewart

Golspie Sutherland 1-6 Cove Rangers

Harestanes 0-3 Girvan

St Cuthbert Wanderers 3-1 Burntisland Shipyard

Wigtown & Bladnoch 1-0 Vale of Leithen

Surprised that Harestanes didn't manage better. Wigtown's win will be seen as a slight surprise - but it was SOSL champion v currently bottom of LL.

FTs:

Harestanes 0-3 Girvan

Surprised that Harestanes didn't manage better. Wigtown's win will be seen as a slight surprise - but it was SOSL champion v currently bottom of LL.

Not particularly surprised at Wigtown's win - look at Vale's early season results!

FTs:

Harestanes 0-3 Girvan

What made you think Harestanes would do better. They brought in a 39 year old to make up the numbers and Girvan are greatly improved on last year.

FTs:

Harestanes 0-3 Girvan

Harestanes had selection problems to the point where they called our manager to ask if he could play , also lost there 3 best players to queens park and cumbernauld colts. Cracking day , decent game , harestanes competed very well .

What made you think Harestanes would do better. They brought in a 39 year old to make up the numbers and Girvan are greatly improved on last year.

Well... firstly I'm surprised that a team good enough to win the Amateur Cup and win the Central League by 10pts were in such a bad squad situation - for a game of this magnitude - that they ended-up calling upon managers of Junior teams touching 40yrs old.

Secondly, the margin still surprises, though you can get a 3-0 going on 1-0 or 5-0 and I appreciate it wasn't their ground and Girvan has a new team.

Girvan losing to Troon and Harestanes to Colville Park last week actually reinforced my expectation of a close score or even a Harestanes draw/win.

Basically shows how much I know about amateur football :lol:!!

Not particularly surprised at Wigtown's win - look at Vale's early season results!

True, and Wigtown's as I posted on previous page. I did anticipate a close result.

This means the Second Preliminary Round draw - from which 5 clubs progress into the competition proper - is as follows:

Civil Service Strollers v Kelty Hearts (East Junior champ)

(North Junior champ) Hermes v Auchinleck Talbot (West Junior champ)

(South champ) Wigtown & Bladnoch v Hawick Royal Albert

(East champ) Lothian Thistle HV v Girvan

Cove Rangers v St Cuthbert Wanderers

Cracking match-ups. On paper you could have the East and West Junior champions, the East and South of Scotland league champions, and Cove Rangers go into the main competition. Could be a few shocks here as well, though - Girvan are apparently much-improved on last season, similarly Hawick.

Well... firstly I'm surprised that a team good enough to win the Amateur Cup and win the Central League by 10pts were in such a bad squad situation - for a game of this magnitude - that they ended-up playing managers of Junior teams touching 40yrs old.

Secondly, the margin still surprises, though you can get a 3-0 going on 1-0 or 5-0 and I appreciate it wasn't their ground and Girvan has a new team.

Girvan losing to Troon and Harestanes to Colville Park last week actually reinforced my expectation of a close score or even a Harestanes draw/win.

Basically shows how much I know about amateur football :lol:!!

True, and Wigtown's as I posted on previous page. I did anticipate a close result.

This means the Second Preliminary Round draw - from which 5 clubs progress into the competition proper - is as follows:

Civil Service Strollers v Kelty Hearts (East Junior champ)

(North Junior champ) Hermes v Auchinleck Talbot (West Junior champ)

(South champ) Wigtown & Bladnoch v Hawick Royal Albert

(East champ) Lothian Thistle HV v Girvan

Cracking match-ups.

Stewart Maxwell our manager didn't feature today. Far as i know they had players away with holidays / injuries and have lost a good 4/5 players to lowland league / senior football.

Bad wording from me - I wasn't assuming he'd actually started, I've changed my post. Is he a player-manager for you, or was he effectively coming out of retirement to fill a place on the bench if required? Appreciate those factors, still wouldn't have imagined they'd lose 3-0. I'll know better for next year!

Was there a decent crowd?

I'm not, no. Thankfully, given how I'd have called this one :lol:!!

Crowd of 300 is decent, so at least they'll have made a bit of cash out of the tie on top of their £2,000 prizemoney or whatever it is. Good luck to them.

• 2 weeks later...

To be accurate it's the second round of the preliminaries. It was drawn at the same time as PR1.

Ties are Saturday coming:

Civil Service Strollers v Kelty Hearts

Hermes v Auchinleck Talbot

Wigtown & Bladnoch v Hawick Royal Albert

Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale v Girvan

Looking at form and general quality, you would be expecting Kelty, Auchinleck, Wigtown, Lothian Thistle and Cove Rangers to progress. However, the comfortable manner of Girvan's victory in PR1 suggests they shouldn't be underestimated for a moment, and Hawick have made an OK start in EOSL.

EDIT: Note - Cove are currently homeless and it seems they'll be allowed to use various 'home' venues.

Their tie v St Cuthbert is at Inverurie.

I was at Hermes v Auchinleck Talbot yesterday. To get to the ground you have to walk through the car park in an industrial estate. Thankfully Hermes had put sign posts up. It was £8 to get in and I can safely assume they wouldn't charge that for a normal game. There was a decent away support as you'd expect. The game itself was pretty one sided. Hermes created very little but did rattle the crossbar with a powerful long range effort late on. Talbot won 4-0 and it could easily have been more.

4pyrk3.jpg

117hblt.jpg

2le2n0l.jpg

23jfts2.jpg

2iszhpd.jpg

Results yesterday were...

Civil Service Strollers 0-4 Kelty Hearts

Hermes 0-4 Auchinleck Talbot

Wigtown and Bladnoch 2-3 Hawick RA

Lothian Thistle 2-2 Girvan

Cove Rangers 7-2 St Cuthbert Wanderers

Great result for the Albert must be a few year since they made 1st round

When's 1st round draw and who's all in it ?

Archived