Quality of Scottish Players

I know we may not have the biggest population but surely in the last 10-15 years we should have produced players that could play for the best Premiership sides.

I look at Belgium and see how they have produced such quality players recently. Wales have Bale, Sweden Ibra, even Iceland have produced Gudjohnson and Belarus managed to have a player like Hleb playing in a country not renowned for producing footballers. Am I wrong to think we should be creating a better standard of player? Even one ? I wonder when (or if ever) a Scottish player signs for a club in a £20 million pound deal.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you're going to suggest players like gudjohnson and hleb then surely darren fletcher is a suitable suggestion for scotland? both bale and ibrahimovic are a higher standard though

if you're going to suggest players like gudjohnson and hleb then surely darren fletcher is a suitable suggestion for scotland? both bale and ibrahimovic are a higher standard though

Fletcher was promising but injury quickly curtailed his career. Never really thought he would be a £20 million pound player. Technically Hleb was quality a more eye catching player than Fletcher.

Gudjohnson was an example of a player coming from a nation with a population of under 500,000 and ending up at Barca.

Just thinking: Sweden have always been well off for attacking 'star' players.

There was dahlin and andersson in the 90s, Larsson in the noughties and the Ibra for the last 10 years. All of them scored 30 goals plus (apart from dahlin on 29)

B*stards!

There's a good chance James McCarthy will be a £20 million player. Does he count?

Not sure mate haha where is he heading? Always seems to be an Arsenal link but thought he signed a new deal. http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2015/06/15/james-mccarthy-just-no-good-says-former-ireland-star-after-scotland-draw/

I remember him being slated against us when he played by his own fans and press.

Fletcher was promising but injury quickly curtailed his career. Never really thought he would be a £20 million pound player. Technically Hleb was quality a more eye catching player than Fletcher.

Gudjohnson was an example of a player coming from a nation with a population of under 500,000 and ending up at Barca.

hleb plays in a position that is naturally more eye catching than fletcher though, and while hleb was a decent player for arsenal i mostly remember him as a winger that wouldn't ever take a shot on goal. and keep in mind that hleb didn't do much at barca and ended up getting loaned out 3 times... i just don't think theres much difference between players like gudjohnson, fletcher or hleb in terms of quality in their favoured positions.

hleb plays in a position that is naturally more eye catching than fletcher though, and while hleb was a decent player for arsenal i mostly remember him as a winger that wouldn't ever take a shot on goal. and keep in mind that hleb didn't do much at barca and ended up getting loaned out 3 times... i just don't think theres much difference between players like gudjohnson, fletcher or hleb in terms of quality in their favoured positions.

Can you say you would pay more money to watch Hleb or Fletcher? Yes he is terrific at what he does but I would love us to be able to produce players with more guile.

Agree re Fletcher. Not the most eye-catching player but does his job well.

It'd be braw if we could magic up an exciting striker. Somebody like Lewandowski or Ibra. Surely we're overdue a wee turn?

Sweden and Poland are both much bigger countries than Scotland!

Ibrahimovic has an immigrant background too. If only we were more welcoming to those from foreign shores the likes of Ibra, Patrick Vieira and Sterling could have been developed here.

Ibrahimovic has an immigrant background too. If only we were more welcoming to those from foreign shores the likes of Ibra, Patrick Vieira and Sterling could have been developed here.

Sweden has 9 million people, so not miles bigger (like Poland), but yeah, they have a bigger pool to choose from.

I think their immigrant demographic* as well as their culture of exporting players to all the European leagues is a more telling factor than merely the number of heads in their country.

*Ibrahimovic, Larsson and Dahlin all have non-Swedish parents who emigrated to Sweden

Sweden has 9 million people, so not miles bigger (like Poland), but yeah, they have a bigger pool to choose from.

I think their immigrant demographic* as well as their culture of exporting players to all the European leagues is a more telling factor than merely the number of heads in their country.

*Ibrahimovic, Larsson and Dahlin all have non-Swedish parents who emigrated to Sweden

Very good point mate. England have got players from their influx of Caribbean immigrants and I'm sure Belgium's current squad also has a lot of dual nationalities among them. France, Netherlands have benefited from this as well as Germany recently with their Turkish connection if I'm not mistaken.

If anyone ever pays £20m for Andy Robertson I will leave this planet and live on the moon.

There has been some crazy transfer fees involving British players. Andy Carroll, Darren Bent and Jack Rodwell to name a few. Luke Shaw was crazy money aswell. I think if Hutton can command a fee of 8-9 million then Robertson could potentially be a £20 million pound player.

Islam feruz.. . ...I'll get my coat

• 2 weeks later...

It's almost twice as big!

If Raheem Sterlings had settled in Glasgow instead of London would we have a European Golden Boy on our hands?

If we want to improve, lets start attracting more immigrants up north!

It's almost twice as big!

If Raheem Sterlings had settled in Glasgow instead of London would we have a European Golden Boy on our hands?

If we want to improve, lets start attracting more immigrants up north!

9 million people vs 5 million, nearly twice as big? Yes, you're right. Sweden have had Ibrahimovic, Larsson, Ljungberg, Dahlin, Andersson, even guys like Wilhelmsson etc in the last 10-15 years. We've had... hmm, yeah, Darren Fletcher. Not quite a 2:1 ratio, is it?

If Raheem Sterling had settled in Glasgow and led an athlete's lifestyle to get to the point he's at now and chosen to represent Scotland, then that'd have been pretty nice. But he didn't. I'm not entirely clear why you threw that one into the mix.

The point is, Sweden - for many reasons - has been subject to far greater/wider immigration than Scotland in recent history, and apparently (going by the number of excellent non-native footballing Swedes), this has helped them enormously in terms of their national footballing side.

I wasn't suggesting we should open the immigration floodgates to help the national team (as you well know, you rascal), I was merely pointing out that circumstances unrelated to football have resulted in a stronger Swedish national team.

There has been some crazy transfer fees involving British players. Andy Carroll, Darren Bent and Jack Rodwell to name a few. Luke Shaw was crazy money aswell. I think if Hutton can command a fee of 8-9 million then Robertson could potentially be a £20 million pound player.

None of them were struggling to get a game for a side that got relegated at the age of 21. Robertson's a decent young player and will have a good career probably, but the fuss over him, and over dross like Stevie May and Tony Watt (thankfully not so much anymore), just highlights the lack of talent that we have produced for so many years now. We're forced to get excited over very little.

Even if you take Darren Fletcher who has probably been our only class player in recent years, he wasn't good because he had fantastic ability, technically he was pretty limited (relative to the level he was at and who he was playing with) but made up for it through other attributes. As much as I admire Fletcher, if we're comparing him to other countries' star players like Bale, Ibrahimovic etc then it's pretty desperate really.

Producing a star player like that isn't really how we should be judging ourselves though, that would be like saying that Andy Murray proves the British Tennis system is effective. We should be judging ourselves more on the quantity of high quality players playing at a good level, that's the sign of a good coaching system in a country, not producing one superstar - that can happen anywhere.

Archived