Ayr United v Albion Rovers

Agreed mate, really didn't understand the style of play the Rovers went with today. It was as if they had no confidence in their own ability to go out and play and were quite happy with just making it through 90 minutes and not getting pumped. Fair enough if they're playing a Premier team but we're in the same division!

Anyway I thought we were really comfortable on the ball and never looked like losing. Difficult to tell as Albion were so deep but I think we're still short of real creative spark.

Cliftonhill in two weeks will be interesting, I expect the Rovers to come out and have a proper go at us!

We didn't seem to play particularly well but yet won incredibly comfortably. Certainly allot more dig in the side, Gilmour had his best game in a while and was one of our better players. Nice to hear the keeper as well, had a few decent saves too. Don't think anyone was a stand out today but a few decent performances.

Good to see McCall note the tempo off the passing was too slow. I was worried we were aiming for a boring Alloa style. Defenders had far too much ball time for me. Big Bobo wouldn't know what to do

These were limited to Gary Fisher, who was alone amongst the starting XI in playing well

I thought Fisher played fairly well for you yesterday, but supplemented this by being an absolute fanny at times. His booking was very daft.

As been said, pretty comfortable for us. Slow first half but upped in the 2nd and played some good stuff at times. Gilmour was outstanding, Docherty very good and although I think Caldwell lacks a little bit technically, he did well and it was great for him to get the goal. More to come I think. Big Gerry also had a pretty storming competitive debut. However, we looked a little a open a couple of times in the 2nd half and it could have been different had that header gone in at 2-0. Was it a really good save or a totally muffed header from the boy?

A bit of both I think, the guy directed it downwards but straight in the path of the keeper's momentum.

Nice to see a keeper who doesn't drop everything and actually collects it at the first attempt.

I thought Fisher played fairly well for you yesterday, but supplemented this by being an absolute fanny at times. His booking was very daft.

Agree on the booking, but he was just following the example of our manager who made an absolute cnut of himself over the penalty kick. To be fair, arguing with the referee is always successful, so I can see why they do it :rolleyes:

We were poor looked to try same tactics as last year and defend then hit on the break, not as much pace in the squad this year though,

Pen was iffy but Ayr came out second half and were far better,

We had 2 good chances 1 hit post after a good save second another good save from love keeper nearly scored too after an awkward bounce on a wet park

Don't think barrowman was fit yet needs a bit of time but for me love and gemmill need to start next week we were far better after they came on

Loved the celebrations after we scored in 90+ mins haha

Our best chances (other than the goal) were Love's back post sitter and Fisher's- which he should have squared but chose to shoot from a tight angle. You could count his successful forward passes per game on one hand.

Well that was straight forward. We weren't great but we didn't have to be against a poor Rovers side. They will have to improve drastically if they want to be anything other than cannon-fodder in league 1 this season.

We, at times looked quite flat and our build up play was slow particularly in the first half. However managed 3 goals and good to see Caldwell get off the mark which was pleasing. I felt Gilmour(who I have been critical of in the past) was the stand out for us. Ross Docherty will also be a massive player for us this season. The defence although not tested much appeared to be solid.

We are in the hat for the next round which is the most important thing. Hoping for either Queens Park or Annan in the draw.

Onto Brechin next week.

Bit of a conundrum on the first day of the league against Albion. If Gemmell starts, then should we unleash Ser Martyn of Campbell to keep Beast firmly in Bobo's back pocket.

Decisions, decisions.

Bit of a conundrum on the first day of the league against Albion. If Gemmell starts, then should we unleash Ser Martyn of Campbell to keep Beast firmly in Bobo's back pocket.

Decisions, decisions.

Depends if we want to use our 1 Bobo card for the season that early on.

Is McLaughlin not out along with Devlin? So think we have to....

gemmel looked pretty overweight again yesterday tbh.

can you send him a direct message via twitter on the morning of the game and shout this non stop during the game please ? thanks in advance.

pretty dire performance from us - defo a dive for the pen tho. Love the Ayr away trip - the wee bowling club next to the ground is a very handy and cheap boozer.

Thought Albion Rovers tactics were good, no tactics can account for a player clearly diving for a penalty and a referee with a clear view of the incident falling for the dive

Albion Rovers had chances, the shot that the keeper pushed onto the post , the point blank header they should have scored with. Better teams will punish that type of defending, wasn't surprised Albion finally scored ,was more dreadful defending

First half was pretty even both teams just trying to find their feet.

Ayr stepped it up and we couldn't deal with the direct running of their more pacy players. I think Barrowman struggled up on his own and due to his lack of match fitness, the lack of having him to hold up the ball meant we were constantly under pressure. I thought McBride struggled to get in the game after being a stand out in preseason.

The defense looked a bit nervy with that keeper behind them who they clearly didn't trust. The goals themselves weren't particularly bad , a questionable penalty for the first. The second is just a fantastic fighting header from the defender Ross is with him all the way but gets out fought. The corner for that however comes from Reid clearing off the line when the keeper failed to assert himself.

Despite our shortcomings we could have actually got ourselfs back into the game, the few times we actualy put the Ayr defense under something approaching pressure they looked a bit shakey. Ally Love's tame header after just coming on is a lesson on taking your chances at this level

I try not to read too much into the first cup game in terms of long term, we've looked superb before and turned out to be mince and vice-versa. .However considering we play Ayr again in two weeks hopefully we can shake things up a bit.

At least if we get pumped out of another cup next week then we can get our focus together and try and get a good start on the league

Archived