IDS has expenses credit card suspended

Fide

From the devil reincarnate man who backed prepaid cards for benefits claimants. Words cannot express my hatred for this man.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jul/01/iain-duncan-smith-among-19-mps-to-have-official-credit-card-suspended

Iain Duncan Smith had his official credit card suspended after running up more than £1,000 in expenses debts, it can be revealed. The work and pensions secretary was among 19 MPs subject to action by the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa) after failing to show spending was valid.

The details, disclosed in response to a freedom of information (FoI) request submitted by the Press Association, are likely to prove embarrassing for Duncan Smith, who has previously backed prepaid cards for benefits claimants to control what they can spend their money on.

The senior cabinet minister is responsible for identifying £12bn of welfare cuts and the benefit sanction regime, which cuts off payments for more than a month at a time for failing to meet certain criteria. It has been criticised by the Commons work and pensions committee for causing severe hardship, sometimes when people are penalised for relatively minor breaches.

According to the FoI response, Duncan Smith’s card was blocked when he owed £1,057.28. He does not currently have any debt.

A spokesman for the Department for Work and Pensions said it looked like it was an error by Ipsa, while suggesting the watchdog had apologised. But a spokesman for Ipsa said it was not a mistake and Duncan Smith’s card had indeed been cut off earlier this year. The watchdog said it had separately made a mistake in relation to the work and pensions secretary’s expenses in May.

MPs are issued with credit cards by Ipsa to cover expenses such as travel and accommodation. They then have to prove the spending was genuine by the end of the month, or they build up debts to the watchdog.

According to the FoI response, Ipsa suspended the cards of 19 MPs since the beginning of this year because they had not settled outstanding sums. The debts were then recouped by not paying out valid claims filed by the politicians.

Others to have their cards suspended included Duncan Smith’s Labour opposite number, Rachel Reeves, who owed £4,033.63 at the time. Shadow business minister Toby Perkins was subject to action when he owed £693.30.

Health minister Ben Gummer had his card stopped with £1,290.07 outstanding, defence minister Mark Lancaster had a £600 tab, and former universities minister David Willetts owed £1,172.05.

Disgraced former Labour MP Eric Joyce, who assaulted a colleague in a Commons bar in 2012, had his card blocked when he owed £12,919.61, and later had his salary docked.

Liberal Democrat Simon Hughes had a stop placed on his card when he owed £826.56.

All have since cleared their debts.

Ipsa also released information about 25 MPs who had sums outstanding as of this week.

DUP MP Ian Paisley Jr owed £13,833.38 on 29 June. He previously had his card blocked when his tab hit £6,195.94. Lib Dems Stephen Gilbert and Mike Crockart had their cards stopped when they owed £2,925.76, and £720.64 respectively. Gilbert owed £13.50 this week and Mr Crockart £90.

An Ipsa spokesman stressed that the debts from 29 June were a “snapshot” and in many cases could merely be awaiting evidence from MPs that they were valid claims.

“An MP may owe an amount to Ipsa for many different reasons, and the fact that an amount is owed does not, in itself, indicate any misuse of the MPs’ scheme of business costs and expenses,” the spokesman said.

“As part of our credit management programme, MPs are sent financial statements detailing their monthly position with Ipsa. Where MPs have amounts owed to Ipsa, action is taken to recover these amounts.”

Here is a full list of the MPs who have had their payment cards temporarily suspended by Ipsa since 1 January this year.

MPs – and amount owed when their card was suspended

Ben Gummer – £1,290.07
Brian Binley – £575.02
David Willetts – £1,172.05
Debbie Abrahams – £2,586.90
Eric Joyce – £12,919.61
Iain Duncan Smith – £1,057.28
Ian Liddell-Grainger – £1,023.94
Ian Paisley Jr – £6,195.94
Jack Dromey – £1,328.46
John Woodcock – £1,756.13
Mark Lancaster – £600.00
Mike Crockart – £720.64
Pamela Nash – £6,929.29
Paul Farrelly – £213.00
Rachel Reeves – £4,033.63
Simon Danczuk – £3,645.67
Simon Hughes – £826.56
Stephen Gilbert – £2,925.76
Toby Perkins – £693.30

From the devil reincarnate man who backed prepaid cards for benefits claimants. Words cannot express my hatred for this man.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jul/01/iain-duncan-smith-among-19-mps-to-have-official-credit-card-suspended

Iain Duncan Smith had his official credit card suspended after running up more than £1,000 in expenses debts, it can be revealed. The work and pensions secretary was among 19 MPs subject to action by the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa) after failing to show spending was valid.

The details, disclosed in response to a freedom of information (FoI) request submitted by the Press Association, are likely to prove embarrassing for Duncan Smith, who has previously backed prepaid cards for benefits claimants to control what they can spend their money on.

The senior cabinet minister is responsible for identifying £12bn of welfare cuts and the benefit sanction regime, which cuts off payments for more than a month at a time for failing to meet certain criteria. It has been criticised by the Commons work and pensions committee for causing severe hardship, sometimes when people are penalised for relatively minor breaches.

According to the FoI response, Duncan Smith’s card was blocked when he owed £1,057.28. He does not currently have any debt.

A spokesman for the Department for Work and Pensions said it looked like it was an error by Ipsa, while suggesting the watchdog had apologised. But a spokesman for Ipsa said it was not a mistake and Duncan Smith’s card had indeed been cut off earlier this year. The watchdog said it had separately made a mistake in relation to the work and pensions secretary’s expenses in May.

MPs are issued with credit cards by Ipsa to cover expenses such as travel and accommodation. They then have to prove the spending was genuine by the end of the month, or they build up debts to the watchdog.

According to the FoI response, Ipsa suspended the cards of 19 MPs since the beginning of this year because they had not settled outstanding sums. The debts were then recouped by not paying out valid claims filed by the politicians.

Others to have their cards suspended included Duncan Smith’s Labour opposite number, Rachel Reeves, who owed £4,033.63 at the time. Shadow business minister Toby Perkins was subject to action when he owed £693.30.

Health minister Ben Gummer had his card stopped with £1,290.07 outstanding, defence minister Mark Lancaster had a £600 tab, and former universities minister David Willetts owed £1,172.05.

Disgraced former Labour MP Eric Joyce, who assaulted a colleague in a Commons bar in 2012, had his card blocked when he owed £12,919.61, and later had his salary docked.

Liberal Democrat Simon Hughes had a stop placed on his card when he owed £826.56.

All have since cleared their debts.

Ipsa also released information about 25 MPs who had sums outstanding as of this week.

DUP MP Ian Paisley Jr owed £13,833.38 on 29 June. He previously had his card blocked when his tab hit £6,195.94. Lib Dems Stephen Gilbert and Mike Crockart had their cards stopped when they owed £2,925.76, and £720.64 respectively. Gilbert owed £13.50 this week and Mr Crockart £90.

An Ipsa spokesman stressed that the debts from 29 June were a “snapshot” and in many cases could merely be awaiting evidence from MPs that they were valid claims.

“An MP may owe an amount to Ipsa for many different reasons, and the fact that an amount is owed does not, in itself, indicate any misuse of the MPs’ scheme of business costs and expenses,” the spokesman said.

“As part of our credit management programme, MPs are sent financial statements detailing their monthly position with Ipsa. Where MPs have amounts owed to Ipsa, action is taken to recover these amounts.”

Here is a full list of the MPs who have had their payment cards temporarily suspended by Ipsa since 1 January this year.

MPs – and amount owed when their card was suspended

Ben Gummer – £1,290.07

Brian Binley – £575.02

David Willetts – £1,172.05

Debbie Abrahams – £2,586.90

Eric Joyce – £12,919.61

Iain Duncan Smith – £1,057.28

Ian Liddell-Grainger – £1,023.94

Ian Paisley Jr – £6,195.94

Jack Dromey – £1,328.46

John Woodcock – £1,756.13

Mark Lancaster – £600.00

Mike Crockart – £720.64

Pamela Nash – £6,929.29

Paul Farrelly – £213.00

Rachel Reeves – £4,033.63

Simon Danczuk – £3,645.67

Simon Hughes – £826.56

Stephen Gilbert – £2,925.76

Toby Perkins – £693.30

MPs are taking the pish, what's new. Please post the details of the first of the 56 to do the same. Didn't Alex Salmond spend £400 a week on messages while living in London four days a week?

MPs are taking the pish, what's new. Please post the details of the first of the 56 to do the same. Didn't Alex Salmond spend £400 a week on messages while living in London four days a week?

Sorry.

How silly of me.

SNPbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!!!

Better?

Ian Duncan Smith has always struck me as someone whose politics is driven by a personal incident in his past.

I reckon a working class lad or lass skelped him in the pus in his early teens and his hatred of the proletariat stems from that. No deep political ideology just a desperate need for personal retribution.

Ian Duncan Smith has always struck me as someone whose politics is driven by a personal incident in his past.

I reckon a working class lad or lass skelped him in the pus in his early teens and his hatred of the proletariat stems from that. No deep political ideology just a desperate need for personal retribution.

Completely agree with this. He comes across as a man with a massive sense of entitlement, who probably harbours utter self-hatred for the fact that he's only got where he is by brown-nosing and scrounging off his wife's family.

He does almost seem to take pleasure in the effect that his god-awful welfare reform programme is having on the most vulnerable in society.

The c**t.

Despite the furore a couple of years back on MP's expenses and the empty promises of getting their house in order, Politicians continue to wallow and snort in the trough of public money, their pockets stuffed with non-receipted expenses.

Which other profession/job would allow you £400 per month just towards your food expenses (not including lunches or evening meals out, which they claim separately for)??

The are a bunch of shameless, greedy f*ckin hypocrites the lot of them.

Despite the furore a couple of years back on MP's expenses and the empty promises of getting their house in order, Politicians continue to wallow and snort in the trough of public money, their pockets stuffed with non-receipted expenses.

Which other profession/job would allow you £400 per month just towards your food expenses (not including lunches or evening meals out, which they claim separately for)??

The are a bunch of shameless, greedy f*ckin hypocrites the lot of them.

If only there was some way we could have left Westminster behind and forged ahead with our own politics....

If only there was some way we could have left Westminster behind and forged ahead with our own politics....

Its nothing to do with the ref Fidey, some of our own MP's have been just as culpable in milking the system over the years. A complete overhaul is required, not just lip service to the press and media for a couple of months with meaningless sound bites promising to tighten things up.

IDS - evil c**t.

Eric Joyce - top geezer.

least you knew what Joyce was doing with the money.

And when he was doig it bet there more chance of him standing his hand and buying a round than IDS

IDS was probably using it to buy puppies to drown for fun the c**t.

Completely agree with this. He comes across as a man with a massive sense of entitlement, who probably harbours utter self-hatred for the fact that he's only got where he is by brown-nosing and scrounging off his wife's family.

He does almost seem to take pleasure in the effect that his god-awful welfare reform programme is having on the most vulnerable in society.

The c**t.

Considering how many absolutely horrendous human beings there are within the Tory party, there are none that inspire quite as much absolute revulsion within me as IDS. I *despise* the man monster.

What he did to REMPLOY, in particular, was absolutely shameful;

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland/top-stories/glasgow-remploy-worker-found-dead-after-losing-job-1-2770242

edit: a quick google for "remploy ids" brings up umpteen results - worth a look, if you can stomach IDS ruining people's lives with his awfulness and to remind you why you hate the c**t (if you need it)

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/318425/Tory-sneers-at-disabled

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/iain-duncan-smith-blasted-over-822000

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/mar/09/remploy-closures-cost-cutting-progressive

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/leighton-andrews-calls-iain-duncan-2030341

http://www.greenbenchesuk.com/2014/01/the-cost-of-ids-100-ways-iain-duncan.html

Considering how many absolutely horrendous human beings there are within the Tory party, there are none that inspire quite as much absolute revulsion within me as IDS. I *despise* the man monster.

What he did to REMPLOY, in particular, was absolutely shameful;

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland/top-stories/glasgow-remploy-worker-found-dead-after-losing-job-1-2770242

edit: a quick google for "remploy ids" brings up umpteen results - worth a look, if you can stomach IDS ruining people's lives with his awfulness and to remind you why you hate the c**t (if you need it)

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/318425/Tory-sneers-at-disabled

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/iain-duncan-smith-blasted-over-822000

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/mar/09/remploy-closures-cost-cutting-progressive

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/leighton-andrews-calls-iain-duncan-2030341

http://www.greenbenchesuk.com/2014/01/the-cost-of-ids-100-ways-iain-duncan.html

I got as far as the Express link before wishing Alzheimer's on the fucker.

I got as far as the Express link before wishing Alzheimer's on the fucker.

I don't think there's a politician I can think of, alive or dead, that I hate more.

He is a truly evil b*****d.

He certainly derives pleasure from kicking the poor and unfortunate. I remember a couple of years back he was punching the air in delight as a bill to slash income tax for the top ten per cent was announced. That pretty much sums up what we're dealing with here.

I genuinely hope something terrible happens to him. I for one will savour it for all it's worth.

• 8 months later...

Archived