club names

Always learning

Pollok named after the Pollok Estate after the landowner Sir John Stirling Maxwell gave the newly formed football section of the Pollokshaws Working Mens Club a pitch within it, the black and white colours of the family shield also adopted. The housing scheme came 30 years later on a different side of the Estate, meaning dimwits will forever more state "they don't even play in Pollok!".

Lok were evicted by the council in the 1920s and ended up in leafy Newlands, albeit on a dump.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Benburb

Named after a small town in Northern Ireland.

There was a battle (skirmish?) of Benburb at which the Protestant settlers apparently took a bit of a pasting. Wondering why what is, on the face of it, a loyalist supporting club would name it after such an event.

I assumed Kilbirne were 'The Blasties' due to the blast furnaces?!?!

and there where confusion lies..Some believe that it came from that after the steel works closed as we weren't called blasties till then we were known as the bumble bees..We also sing a song..we're all fae Kilbirnie we blasties everyone! It's not really got a place that it's come from to be honest.just seemed to come more into use in the early 90s.before that I never heard us called the blasties much at all

and there where confusion lies..Some believe that it came from that after the steel works closed as we weren't called blasties till then we were known as the bumble bees..We also sing a song..we're all fae Kilbirnie we blasties everyone! It's not really got a place that it's come from to be honest.just seemed to come more into use in the early 90s.before that I never heard us called the blasties much at all

Growing up in the 70's,I always thought our nickname was the Bumblebees due to our colours.

Garrelburn,

http://benburbfc.blogspot.co.uk/

There was a battle (skirmish?) of Benburb at which the Protestant settlers apparently took a bit of a pasting. Wondering why what is, on the face of it, a loyalist supporting club would name it after such an event.

The excellent blog On Tinto's Slopes gives a section on the movements of Benburb Football Club in its early years. The Battle of Benburb was a full blown pitched battle in 1646. The Irish Confederate leader Owen Roe O'Neill inflicted a decisive victory over the Covenanters army led by Robert Monro. Monro lost between 2,000 and 3,000 of his army of 6,000. O'Neill had 5,000 army but in a better field position.

When Irish folk came to Scotland they wished to remember a battle which had gone into folklore. Hence when the early Benburb Football Club was formed they took the name of the town and battle. In the late 1800's Benburb and Celtic vied for the Irish Catholic support and both had good followings. Benburb moved around Glasgow a bit before settling into defunct Scottish League club Thistle's old ground at Polmadie.

However a few years later they were to lose their ground and dropped out for a year or so. The club re-surfaced in Govan and played at Govandale the home of another former Scottish League club Linthouse; the ground being right on the river.

The early club officials in 1900 were derived from a typical mix of Govan folk mostly protestant and many skilled workers. In due course a decision was taken to make a minor adjustment to the clubs colours from green shirts to blue. Many Rangers supporters adopted them as their second team.

Benburb have always been non sectarian even before the move to Govan. In the past they had good support from Govan people and could command crowds in the thousands.

A great old Govan club with a great tradition. Hopefully the move to the new ground will restore fortunes.

Growing up in the 70's,I always thought our nickname was the Bumblebees due to our colours.

if you check photos of 77 final or even 87 you will see people with bumblebees on flags etc..I grew up thinking it was bumblebees..as I say early 90s we started with blasties and it went on our badge

It came from a fan back in the 70's who followed the Talbot, the guy had hearing and speaking difficulties but always tried to join in when the young fans started singing the football chant "we'll support you evermore" only thing was it came out "eeka peeka pakka po" so the instead of singing "we'll support you evermore" the young fans joined in with the guy and started singing "eeka peeka pukka po" along with him, somehow it stuck and has been the Talbot battle cry ever since.

Cheers Harry,think I remember A.M.telling me something like that,might have been a relative of his he was speaking about.

According to local hear-say..... The club nickname, The Blasties, derives from a Robert Burns poem, The Inventory, written in 1786.

My furr-ahin 's a wordy beast,

As e'er in tug or tow was traced.

The fourth's a Highland Donald hastle,

A damn'd red-wud Kilburnie blastie!

Some people from Kilbirnie have different thoughts on this..........[/

quote]

What like the following ; :lol: :lol:

Blackamber wrote:

the answer is off course C the poem by Burns

No convinced

Many historical people and hysterical people alike have told us that.

No surprising these Jolly Beggars and Raspberry Club folk think it,they are a wee bit daft aboot wee Rabbie,they think he's a legend or something and they kid on they understand whit he wrote..........when even Burns half pissed as usual didnae have a clue.

The Burns boy visits St Brennan's fair at the Auld Kirk ( St Brennan found the site that Barony Old Parish Church/Auld Kirk sits.Which is why we have St Brennan's Court ) ,purchases a horse off a horsey person fae Baillieston Farm,buggers off back down county and after a swally or three writes a poem that includes a wee line aboot him visiting Kilburnie.

And there you have it ,people that reside in the parish of Kilbirnie are now called Blasties -- well you cant count me oot of that if a Blastie means whit it says a Blastie means...........

...........A wee beastie,a louse,a shrivelled dwarf,it was a form of contempt.

To be called a Blastie in yon days was no complimentary at all.Are the lovely people of Kilbirnie beasts is Ladeside's nickname The Beasties (it's no even the Blasties ffs ).It jolly beggars belief that that knowing what the name means it would be used the way people believe it is - it's hardly a term of endearment.

A damn,d red - wud Kilburnie blastie - the clue is the damned.Burns was not much taken by the horse -- which begs the question.Why did the tube buy it in the first place ?

Some folk might be happy to be called a blastie by this definition...not me...am off to the Glendale for a beer with a bunch of shrivelled dwarfs.......Still it's better than being a Beithite,Beithronian or a barsteward fae Beith.

Me wrote that.

if you check photos of 77 final or even 87 you will see people with bumblebees on flags etc..I grew up thinking it was bumblebees..as I say early 90s we started with blasties and it went on our badge

Spot on bud...Ladeside nickname is The Bumblebees...first ever match was in snowy conditions and the amber/ black hooped jerseys made them stand out like bumblebees in the snow.

The Blasties is simply taken from the song Blasties every wan...which indicates that the people that reside in Kilbirnie are Blasties ( steelwork blast furnaces) not the football club.

Under Sconnie Davidson Ladeside were not the Blasties.

It was,that's what I called us when I was young.wonder when it changed and why?

Montrose Roselea- The Rose is the towns emblem and a Lea is a field or grassland. Only just checked this out when a club called Roselea from Sydney in Australia got in touch. I asked where the name originated thinking someone from our side of the world had ended up over there but it was for the same reasons as above. Its a small world as they say. There is also a Roselea Amateurs in Perth, Scotland this time!

Archived