Games where you thought "this is it!"

Right, what's everyone's games where they thought their club had turned over a new leaf and were going to go on and become something great?

Our 3-0 win at New Douglas Park in 2009 had me salivating. Pumped by Sigma and Celtic but I really thought that was going to be the start of the McGhee era of greatness. Fyvie, Aluko, Maguire and Mulgrew were going to be instrumental in delivering cups and glory back to The Dons. How bloody wrong was I?!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coming back from 0-2 at Tannadice in a cup tie in 2006 I thought our name was on the cup. We got pumped at tynecastle in the next round.

No great surprise there tbh.

A couple of times - McGhee's first game in charge when we pumped St Mirren by one (lovely) goal to nil was such a jarring difference from the previous few seasons that everyone walked away thinking something had really changed. That team played some of the best football I've seen from us and laid the foundations for our best league period for decades...

Much further back in history - when Tommy McLean's team pumped Dunfermline 5-0 at East End in 1990 something felt different about it (Dunfermline were a pretty good team then and it was seen as a surprising scoreline), it was the point for me where the much of the team that won the cup started to shine and where we moved to being an established Premier team for the first time since I'd watched us.

Early in the 2012/13 season, after returning to Glasgow after more than five years away, I headed up to Firhill to see what we were playing like and was amazed by what I saw. I texted my Dad within the first 30 minutes to say this was the best Thistle side I had ever seen. The passing, movement off the ball and team spirit was incredible.

There was one move in particular against Dumbarton the following home game, where we ran from our own corner flag up the park, ultimately missing the chance, but the move summed up the way we were playing.

3:10 into this if you can be bothered:

Half time at Rugby Park. Kilmarnock 3 Celtic 0, (the feeling didn't last long).

Same season, the one where we cuffed Hibs on the telly and Heffernan absolutely ran the show. Brilliant game.

Dundees pre-season friendly in Grimsby before the Bonetti season got underway. Exotic names I'd never heard of, 16 year old out on the lash in another country, Giorgis stepover goal in that game and the performances of Caballero, Sara etc.

Then we opened the season incredibly well, 3-0 at Motherwell (?) and were doing really well a few games in before a trip to Easter Road. I remember standing in the boozer pre match and sniggering at Hibs fans I overheard saying they would easily pump us etc etc.

We were fucking superb that first half (as were Hibs - a cracking game) until Matthias Jack put in a brutal tackle which saw Fabian Caballero (to my completely biased memory) incorrectly sent off.

Didier Agathe and Russel Latapy with the assistance of Dirk Lehmann then beat us 5-1..... Agathe was incredible that day.

The Thistle 5-1 Dunfermline game in our promotion season. Immense performance, and almost every goal was class.

This. We were in a title scrap with them and Morton at this stage in the season and to see us give one of our promotion rivals and absolute battering was amazing to watch. I have never seen Thistle play as well as we did that day.

From 43 seconds in, new signings took Rangers (RIP) apart.

I wasn't quite sure that we had something in our team but I was sure that Rangers were lacking in theirs. I never worried that we'd not win that game as soon as Smith scored. Such a lack of pith in that Rangers squad.

However that Lovenkrands goal is probably the best I've ever witnessed. What a thing of beauty! C*nt!

Early in the 2012/13 season, after returning to Glasgow after more than five years away, I headed up to Firhill to see what we were playing like and was amazed by what I saw. I texted my Dad within the first 30 minutes to say this was the best Thistle side I had ever seen. The passing, movement off the ball and team spirit was incredible.

There was one move in particular against Dumbarton the following home game, where we ran from our own corner flag up the park, ultimately missing the chance, but the move summed up the way we were playing.

3:10 into this if you can be bothered: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8q1Wz0EYIo

I think you are missunderstanding the concept of this thread.

Dundees pre-season friendly in Grimsby before the Bonetti season got underway. Exotic names I'd never heard of, 16 year old out on the lash in another country, Giorgis stepover goal in that game and the performances of Caballero, Sara etc.

Then we opened the season incredibly well, 3-0 at Motherwell (?) and were doing really well a few games in before a trip to Easter Road. I remember standing in the boozer pre match and sniggering at Hibs fans I overheard saying they would easily pump us etc etc.

We were fucking superb that first half (as were Hibs - a cracking game) until Matthias Jack put in a brutal tackle which saw Fabian Caballero (to my completely biased memory) incorrectly sent off.

Didier Agathe and Russel Latapy with the assistance of Dirk Lehmann then beat us 5-1..... Agathe was incredible that day.

Caballero scored and absolute fucker to make it 1-0. We were winning at half time I'm Sure though, Agathe ran the length of the pitch to score!

Archived