Scottish Affairs Committee...

Elixir

Don't think it will make much difference. It has been filled with anti-scottish for long enough.

I thought the main purpose of it was to make it appear that Westminster gave a f**k about Scotland, not to actually do anything for the country.

ETA: If the Tories implement EVEL then I look forward to the English Affairs Committee being comprised of a majority of Scottish MPs

Surely this isn't surprising as committees have to be cross party and there are hardly any non SNP MPs in Scotland?

Is it not a problem symbolically? It might also cause functional problems due to the disconnect of most members?

Maybe they can fill it with Welsh and Irish people so they don't upset the super sensitive Nats.

Super sensitive like trawling Twitter looking for something to be offended by? Something like that would qualify surely?

Will be made up by a majority of English MPs for the first time ever.

Do they just want us to get independence over and done with now?

And pete wishart snp,has been elected as chair to lead this committee,he said he is happy to work with a cross party group for the benefit of scotland,sounds fair to me.

Don't think it will make much difference. It has been filled with anti-scottish for long enough.

I thought the main purpose of it was to make it appear that Westminster gave a f**k about Scotland, not to actually do anything for the country.

ETA: If the Tories implement EVEL then I look forward to the English Affairs Committee being comprised of a majority of Scottish MPs

See the previous post to your post you xenophobic, segregationist, monomaniac clansman.

Would probably trust the English more to look after Scottish affairs than I would Scottish Labour/Lib Dems tbh. The absolute giddiness after the last GERS figures came out saw to that. Scottish economic weakness is ideologically essential to the Scottish Unionist belief system. Rather work with our southern cousins that that anyday.

And now we have the details. The English equivalent will be restricted to only English MPs. Well know me down with a feather, I really didn't expect that. :blink:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33351688

New system
  • The Speaker will judge which parts of a bill relate to just England, or England and Wales
  • An England-only committee stage will consider bills deemed "England-only in their entirety"
  • Membership of this committee will reflect the number of MPs each party has in England
  • Where sections of legislation relate only to England or England and Wales, agreement of a "Legislative Grand Committee" will be required

http://wingsoverscotland.com/the-member-for-the-vow/#more-72545

The Sunday Post’s lobby reporter James Millar noticed today that all the parties have submitted their nominations to sit on the Scottish Affairs Committee at Westminster.

scotaffairs.jpg

As has already been noted, the majority of the committee – six out of 10 – are MPs for English seats (list below). But one name in particular caught our attention.

Alert readers may feel that they’ve heard of Christopher Chope before. And they’d be quite right, because we told you about some interesting comments he made in the Commons back in November:

(Col.222)

In the light of every single proposed amendment to the Scotland Bill having been voted down by the Tories (and sometimes also by Labour), readers may feel that Mr Chope is an interesting and enlightening choice of representative.

—————————————————————-

MEMBERS OF THE SCOTTISH AFFAIRS COMMITTEE

Pete Wishart (SNP, Perth and North Perthshire, chair)
Dave Anderson (Labour, Blaydon)
Kirsty Blackman (SNP, Aberdeen North)
Christopher Chope (Con, Christchurch)
Jim Cunningham (Lab, Coventry South)
Margaret Ferrier (SNP, Rutherglen, Hamilton West)
Stephen Hepburn (Lab, Jarrow)
Chris Law (SNP, Dundee East)
Dan Poulter (Con, Central Suffolk and North Ipswich)
Maggie Throup (Con, Erewash)

Archived