Scottish Non-League Programme of the Year 2014-15 - Results

Burnie_man

This is the article that appears in the July edition of Programme Monthly. Remember this is a bit of fun, there is no actual award. There will be happy people, there will be sad people, but remember it’s my judgement and nobody elses. If someone else judged the awards the outcome may well be different (if anyone else was mad enough to do it) that’s the nature of the beast I’m afraid, anyway................

This seasons competition saw a disappointing drop in entries from 58 to 42, none the less with an estimated 70-80 clubs issuing regularly it’s a fairly healthy proportion and almost all of the top 20 from last season were entered again, so I’m fairly confident those clubs who were realistic contenders for the title were in the mix.

The quality of programmes at the top end have noticeably improved, whether that be better quality print, glossy paper, or just down to improved content. Last season there were a surprising number of instances where the lack of basic content let a programme down overall, lack of match reports and poor stats being the prime areas, and clubs with a rich history which was basically ignored within their programme. It’s good to see that some clubs have improved in those areas and that is reflected in clubs moving up the rankings.

All clubs who issue on a regular basis are to be congratulated for their efforts regardless of where they finish, Scotland still suffers badly at non-league level with clubs, some of them at the top end of the game, who simply show no interest in issuing programmes, only 30-35% actually do overall which is a very poor ratio so any programme is a good programme. Media coverage at some levels is scant to non-existent, and a programme is often the best way to keep fans connected with the club in addition to the world of social media.

Anyway, to the 2014-15 awards. There was a clear winner although like last year the next dozen or so places were very close, with little between them and all of very good quality.

WINNERS:

Luncarty of the East Region North Division Juniors

The 44 page programme for £1.00 is exceptional value for money. Packed with interesting, readable articles and plenty of colour it’s a joy to read. This small Perthshire club play on front of crowds that struggle to exceed 50 and editor Grant Ritchie deserves credit for producing a programme of consistent quality and value. A well deserved winner.

RUNNNERS UP:

Gala Fairydean Rovers of the Lowland League

Gala are one of the clubs who took note of where they fell down last year and made noticeable improvements. Immaculately designed and SPFL quality, it also provides plenty reading and covers all the basics well. Sometimes programmes get so wrapped up in design and flashiness that they forget about content, Gala have the balance right.

THIRD PLACE:

Buckie Thistle of the Highland League

Last years winners surprisingly only make third place this year. That said, the programme by Easton Thain remains high quality and has moved to glossy paper format. As ever, plenty to read with the clubs history and that of the Highland League covered exceptionally well.

BEST OF THE REST:

The quality of the next dozen or so issues was high and there wasn’t really too much to separate them. The Clydebank issue has improved a lot since last season and was unlucky to miss out of a top three place. The visitor coverage is well written as are the historical pieces, which are also nicely illustrated. Whitehill Welfare again produced a fantastic programme for little money, last years runners-up have stuck to the tried and tested format and it works, the same can be said for Edinburgh City, what they lack in colour is made-up for in well written content. Fraserburgh and Formartine United of the Highland League both issue similar full colour programmes which also contain plenty of interesting reading. After Luncarty & Clydebank, Kelty Hearts and Auchinleck Talbot produce the next best programmes in the Junior grade, plenty of content and very good value, both clubs won their respective Championships and both are ahead in the programme world as well.

That rounds off the second year of the awards. As I touched on earlier it was a little more challenging this year in terms of getting clubs to submit entries, but it all came together in the end and congratulations to every club who make the effort to produce a programme.

NON%20LEAGUE%20AWARDS%201415_zpsqzq5rymw

A huge well done to Luncarty on winning this years award.

The amount of time and effort that goes into producing a decent programme is if the truth be told quite ridiculous and often with little reward or notice. I've only been to Luncarty once but for the editor there to produce what he does with such low crowds is pretty amazing.

The Lowland League saw all but 1 of it's 14 clubs last season issue regularly and it is great to see 3 clubs in the top 6.

Well done to Burnieman for putting all this together.

20th f**k me, what was we last time?

Our programmes were deffo better than last seasons. I demand a recount?

The welfare programme was full of grammatical errors & you couldn't wrap a prawn sandwich up in being made of such flimsy material. I do sometimes wonder if you are using the correct criteria Burnie lad?

If you require some unbiased assistance for next year then I think I may be able to help.

Grimbo

Ps Can you confirm that Ed Citeh's programme came in an unmarked brown envelope that was well packed in crisp tenners (for packaging purposes only, of course)?

20th f**k me, what was we last time?

Our programmes were deffo better than last seasons. I demand a recount?

The welfare programme was full of grammatical errors & you couldn't wrap a prawn sandwich up in being made of such flimsy material. I do sometimes wonder if you are using the correct criteria Burnie lad?

If you require some unbiased assistance for next year then I think I may be able to help.

Grimbo

Ps Can you confirm that Ed Citeh's programme came in an unmarked brown envelope that was well packed in crisp tenners (for packaging purposes only, of course)?

Think spartans problem was that they had a huge amount of what looked like top quality material but then found that they couldn't put it all together in a format that worked well. The other teams had a far better layout and just seemed to gel together better.....

21st last season I think Grim. Tis a bit of fun, and a great job by Burnie. I was going to send in two others as the 2 you submitted for me were the 2 with the least content due to me having to work nights at the time. (my excuse :P)

We got the same score as last year however it seems our design went backwards big time. I'll be feeding that back to Curtis sport who designed it for us. Maybe I can get a refund!! :P

Think spartans problem was that they had a huge amount of what looked like top quality material but then found that they couldn't put it all together in a format that worked well. The other teams had a far better layout and just seemed to gel together better.....

I can see what you did there SN.

I'm not as green as I'm cabbage looking.

Next season our programme will be packed to the brim with stuff for teenagers (music & crayons) through to prawn sammidge recipes for the 30 something brigade. With adverts for 1/2 leather brogues 2 for the price of one & crease free leisure beige slacks for the modern man. A spot the ball competition (voyeur pics from the team bath) & a 1/2 time interactive quiz.

Each edition will have an easy to unattach song sheet in the middle pages.

Grimbo

Next season our programme will be packed to the brim with stuff for teenagers (music & crayons) through to prawn sammidge recipes for the 30 something brigade. With adverts for 1/2 leather brogues 2 for the price of one & crease free leisure beige slacks for the modern man. A spot the ball competition (voyeur pics from the team bath) & a 1/2 time interactive quiz.

Grimbo

I can exclusively reveal none of the above is true. Apart from Grim looking like a cabbage.

I can exclusively reveal none of the above is true. Apart from Grim looking like a cabbage.

So what am I going to do with all those candid bath shots? Tsk! Anyone want to buy some photies of John Grants best features?

Grimbo

Grimbo

Grim just wondered what colour the brogues come in I could do with a pair or maybe 2 ... ? I've already got enough pairs of beige slacks.

21st last season I think Grim. Tis a bit of fun, and a great job by Burnie. I was going to send in two others as the 2 you submitted for me were the 2 with the least content due to me having to work nights at the time. (my excuse :P)

We got the same score as last year however it seems our design went backwards big time. I'll be feeding that back to Curtis sport who designed it for us. Maybe I can get a refund!! :P

Not having a dig here, and I'm all in favour of more professionalism in the league, but it is a bit of fun, and maybe you'd have done better designing it yourself and keeping it all in-house? Oor Rab used to do the lot including his own printing and stapling until that became impossible to keep up.

Not having a dig here, and I'm all in favour of more professionalism in the league, but it is a bit of fun, and maybe you'd have done better designing it yourself and keeping it all in-house? Oor Rab used to do the lot including his own printing and stapling until that became impossible to keep up.

I tried, I had no experience of using the programme and used Curtis to design it to get things looking better. I've not handed it over as I'm stepping away from my role with the club and someone better than me will be targeting a top 10 position next season!

Jamie does a cracking job, all that copy pasting from week to week must take up loads of time :P (he knows I'm joking!!)

I heard Jamie would have been first, but somebody sent in a sample from the week he was in Liverpool for a noon kickoff, and I stapled them :lol:

Mantis, you should have seen the Ed Citeh programme I sent in, looks like they made it with crayons n stuff.

Next season I'm going to send in a welfare programme, it'll be a blue peter job, yeah I'll be including the X rated dvd. ha ha.

Grimbo

Ed City had good programmes last year so did Welfare! Especially the programme in the play off for spfl2 where was Spartans programme then? Oh yeah they have never played in the play offs have they sorry my bad ...

Davy very similar to our programmes from the Cup vs SPFL opposition, I don't remember seeing yours? You set 'em up & I'll hit 'em! :thumsup2

Grimbo

Davy very similar to our programmes from the Cup vs SPFL opposition, I don't remember seeing yours? You set 'em up & I'll hit 'em! :thumsup2

Grimbo

Big difference Grim from being in a play off to enter the SPFL leagues rather than a scottish cup run that Spartans would have ZERO chance of winning ???? so that wont be getin knocked down #Edinburghisblackandwhite #Champions

Well done to Burnieman for putting all this together.

Thanks to Burnieman,

21st last season I think Grim. Tis a bit of fun, and a great job by Burnie.

Thanks folks, just to confirm, "Design" covers a few areas ie;

Overall design (obviously)

Quality of print/paper/colour

Advert ratio

Value for money

and of course

How many £10 notes are used to pack the programme safely when sending it to me.

Archived