Wellbeing Index

Fide

I suppose the counter-argument is that Panama has benefitted from geographical circumstance (i.e., that canal which is a vital part of the world economy) and heavy investment from the US. So saying "well they have a shared currency (+ their own currency which is pegged to the $) and they're fine" isn't really putting things in context. However, the lack of a CENTRAL BANK (the most important thing ever, remember?) seems to have forced them to have a properly regulated banking system - from some brief reading it would appear that Panamanian banks are required to "have a liquidity ratio of over 30%, which has ultimately protected the local economy from the worst of the global downturn".

The questions do seem a bit iffy as well, I mean:

Purpose

• You like what you do every day.
  • You learn or do something interesting every day.

Social

• Someone in your life always encourages you to be healthy.
  • Your friends and family give you positive energy every day.

Costa Rica appear to have good figures as well, despite investing in that bad "green" and "clean" energy. -> By which I mean, they're doing alright for themselves with all this focus on being environmentally friendly and the UK seems more focused on squeezing every possible drop of fossil fuels out of the ground because green energy is "unsustainable".

Again, you're so thick, you might just about believe it the "fiscalautonomyplandealtablow" shite.

You're as simple as a Primary 2 maths test.

In fairness kev never got past Primary 1.

Have a wee read of the McCrone report and come back to us, Kev.

Why should i do that,this was the scottish goverments figures from today,the snp thought they could put out the figures just before the msp went on their summer break.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-33268851

http://www.expressandstar.com/business/city-news/2015/06/25/oil-revenues-could-drop-to-500m/

Why should i do that,this was the scottish goverments figures from today,the snp thought they could put out the figures just before the msp went on their summer break.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-33268851

http://www.expressandstar.com/business/city-news/2015/06/25/oil-revenues-could-drop-to-500m/

It surely comes as no revelation to any but the most reclusive hermit that oil prices have dropped over the past year.

By extension, only the most dim-witted would not expect the forecasted revenue to be revised downwards, given that the original forecasts were made prior to the downturn.

Is this where, again, the Scottish government are expected to have done what no-one else in the oil industry did and predict the crash?

The forecasts are not good. They are also not news.

Have a wee read of the McCrone report and come back to us, Kev.

I don't quite see how a 41 year-old report is relevant to this discussion.

The reality is that current forecasts consistently overestimate oil revenues - possibly because the SG (not just under the SNP) keeps going for the most optimistic scenarios.

There is a major issue with the increasingly rising cost of extracting NS Oil from deeper fields and, unless there is a major break through in extraction technologies, extraction in the long run will continue on the downward decline that has been going on for the past 15 years. I know there are some new fields due to come on stream in the next 5 years but they will do no more than slow or steady the rate of decline - they are unlikely to reverse levels of oil production.

That all being said NS Oil should not be necessary for the success of the Scottish economy. On current figures the economy would be self-sustaining without oil. If there had been a vote for independence in September that may not necessarily have been the case as the SNP were at that point commited to increasing public expenditure using oil revenues to cover the shortfall on taxation. Actual oil revenues at that point showed an £8.1 billion shortfall for SNP expenditure plans in 2018/19 due to over-optimistic predictions.

My own gut feeling us that the SG may need to revisit their future spending commitments in an independent Scotland. That may upset some but it would, I believe, make it less likely for them to be attacked on an economic basis. This would have to go in tandem with an overhaul of their policy on currency in iScotland. I have said elsewhere that a coherent and solid case can be made for an independent Scottish currency - especially in light of current events in Greece.

It surely comes as no revelation to any but the most reclusive hermit that oil prices have dropped over the past year.

By extension, only the most dim-witted would not expect the forecasted revenue to be revised downwards, given that the original forecasts were made prior to the downturn.

Is this where, again, the Scottish government are expected to have done what no-one else in the oil industry did and predict the crash?

The forecasts are not good. They are also not news, or the fault of the SNP.

I also notice that your posts very often are predominantly links to news sources. Are you unable or unwilling to make a case or an argument for yourself? I think it legitimate to include a link to an article to highlight source material or to provide evidence for a particular stance, but it is surely lazy to make it the point of your post?

people on this site can take the news reports as true or false its their choice.

Given that the OBR's own forecast changed by over 90% in 5 years, I don't know why anyone bothers trying to forecast oil. It's a notoriously volatile thing to do. There's some there. It won't last forever. Beyond that, no one truly knows.

The forecasts are not good. They are also not news, or the fault of the SNP.

I also notice that your posts very often are predominantly links to news sources. Are you unable or unwilling to make a case or an argument for yourself? I think it legitimate to include a link to an article to highlight source material or to provide evidence for a particular stance, but it is surely lazy to make it the point of your post?

people on this site can take the news reports as true or false its their choice.

That's the most coherent post you've ever made.

Archived