Has Football influenced your national identify and/or political leanin

Apart from the UK Nations are there any other Football Associations in Europe or even the World that don't exclusively belong to one independent country?

I remember being obsessed with Football from an early age.

Because Football was/is such an important factor in my life, it genuinely struck me as odd early on in life that Scotland wasn't a normal, independent country but it's only appeared on my radar as important in the last few years.

I suppose what I am getting at is the fact that Scotland, England, Ireland and Wales have always had their own Football Bodies and teams contributed heavily to each Nation's sense of individuality?

This is just a guess but I imagine the mid to late 1800's was a fair high point for British identity and British Nationalism and a low point for the Welsh and Scottish counterparts?

Does anyone know the reasons behind why, when Football started becoming more and more popular, a UK FA wasn't set up in the first instance?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To answer the question in the thread title, no, because I am not a Sevco fan and therefore not a servile, deferential, bigoted, seething, foreluck tugging, spineless, monarch supporting mess.

Football has never played a part.

I never realised the situation Scotland was in until about 3 year ago when the referendum chat sort of started. Before then I had never ever once thought about the make up of the UK and how my country was actually governed.

If truth be told I am only so interested in politics because of the referendum. Before then, even though I was still only 18/19, I was non fussed, which may be normal for folk at that age.

I imagine the older I got the more interested I would have become but the indy ref has made me extremely interested and involved.

Anyone who bases their political leaning on the football team they support is a fanny.

To answer the question in the thread title, no, because I am not a Sevco fan and therefore not a servile, deferential, bigoted, seething, foreluck tugging, spineless, monarch supporting mess.

or obsessed at all! You should have added Fidey. Lol

Oh but I am. No won the referendum and the Conservative party achieved a majority. Both of which I wanted.

You on the other hand come on here daily to fire out sound bites and pretend the SNP are making a difference in Westminster.

I'm happy here with the union and the Conservative party looking after us all.

If you're happy, then I'm very pleased for you. One question, though; Why do you come across so very, very angry?

Neither of you appear to be enjoying the journey. It's quite cathartic, let me assure you.

:)

The journey is looking good my friend, few days golf, fishing and beers with the lads in Spain, back for the 12th, then a couple of relaxing weeks in Portugal with family and friends, what's to complain about?

The journey is looking good my friend, few days golf, fishing and beers with the lads in Spain, back for the 12th, then a couple of relaxing weeks in Portugal with family and friends, what's to complain about?

Quite. If only it wasn't for those pesky enemies of the union eh? The blighters!!

Perhaps you transfer your feelings onto others?

I'd be interested to see the posts you feel show me being 'very, very angry' tho.

2h6zyvm.gif

Only inofar as I didn't vote for the Blue Team at the elections and don't support a team wearing blue either.

I didn't vote for the Greens ether and don't support a team wearing green.

Although I support a team which wears red and yellow, I only voted for the Yellow Team at the election.

I remember chanting "YES, YES" at the great unwashed at Ibrox before the devo referendum. I was in favour of the parliament at the time but seeing the 'orrible ones dirty the flag of the union with their petty and perverse view of "Britishness" just cemented my view as; "if it annoys them then it must be a good idea."

If - as an independently functioning adult - a game of football in any way influences your political views or greater outlook on the world, you can only be defined as a grade-A, neanderthalic ferger.

I can't speak for the UK but the notion that Ireland's soccer team "contributed heavily" to Irelands sense of separateness is well wide of the mark

And the late 1800's may have been a low point for Scottish and Welsh Nationalism but it was anything but for Irish Nationalism

That'll be why he didn't say it was a low point for Irish Nationalism then.

If - as an independently functioning adult - a game of football in any way influences your political views or greater outlook on the world, you can only be defined as a grade-A, neanderthalic ferger.

How can you sit amongst so many of them at Ibrox every week then, you seem too sensible.

How can you sit amongst so many of them at Ibrox every week then, you seem too sensible.

You too share a country with them, yet you happily live in and are proud of Scotland.

This idea that all Rangers fans conform to the popular stereotype is utter rot. The group I sit with on match-days are nothing like the uber-royalists you see so heartily mocked as being representative of the entire Rangers fan-base.

You too share a country with them, yet you happily live in and are proud of Scotland.

This idea that all Rangers fans conform to the popular stereotype is utter rot. The group I sit with on match-days are nothing like the uber-royalists you see so heartily mocked as being representative of the entire Rangers fan-base.

Neither are the group I know. They all still voted No cause the Union Bears banner telt them too and because they see UJs and hear Rule Britannia at the football every other week

They saw it like they were voting against their club, a YES vote was voting against and harming Rangers in their minds. They had absolutely no political understanding but were strong NOs because of the team they supported.

I dont like generalising folk but this seems to be the case with the vast majority of Rangers fans on here, on social media and in real life.

Oh but I am. No won the referendum and the Conservative party achieved a majority. Both of which I wanted.

You on the other hand come on here daily to fire out sound bites and pretend the SNP are making a difference in Westminster.

I'm happy here with the union and the Conservative party looking after us all.

What does the Conservative Party do for Scotland other than use it as a dumping ground for trident?

Any Scot supporting Conservative is a joke.

Neither are the group I know. They all still voted No cause the Union Bears banner telt them too and because they see UJs and hear Rule Britannia at the football every other week

They saw it like they were voting against their club, a YES vote was voting against and harming Rangers in their minds. They had absolutely no political understanding but were strong NOs because of the team they supported.

I dont like generalising folk but this seems to be the case with the vast majority of Rangers fans on here, on social media and in real life.

70% of Rangers fans probably are really like that. However I don't support any sports team based off of the intellectual capacity of its supporters.

However I don't support any sports team based off of the intellectual capacity of its supporters.

Aye suppose.

Personally think I would be wound up too much to return to the football if I was having to put up with it though.

Archived