Summer Football

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33205763

It has to be worthwhile seriously exploring any change to the present season set-up; taking into account:

• better playing, viewing & travelling conditions
  • lower costs from less use of under-soil heating and gritting the areas around the grounds
  • attracting a better TV deal when there are plenty of empty slots for the TV companies to fill right now

I know there are occasionally some fantastic playing conditions on a clear crisp winter's day; but more often than not, the weather's crap and as a result the game is a lottery.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see a lot of positives regarding Summer football but a few negatives ie the International team when we qualify for major tournaments such as European Championships, World Cups ( I know it's been a few years since we did but let's look on the positive side)

Also for part time clubs, summer is when most people take their holidays and we will end up with fans and players taking breaks in the middle of the season if it moves to say March to November.

Sorry - but I don't buy the "it's when we go on holiday argument". School holidays at present occur during Christmas/ February/ Easter and October.

The effect on the international team (should they qualify for the WC & Euros) is valid though.

I can foresee a half-way house proposal being put forward though; ie break for January/ February and starting the season earlier in July.

Sorry - but I don't buy the "it's when we go on holiday argument". School holidays at present occur during Christmas/ February/ Easter and October.

The effect on the international team (should they qualify for the WC & Euros) is valid though.

I can foresee a half-way house proposal being put forward though; ie break for January/ February and starting the season earlier in July.

send it on cant wait

Summer football is a terrible idea If only one country is moving, if there was appetite for it for all nations then that would be different.

Aye but the summer is your best bet for warm weather, on this continent, and most people's choice for a holiday.

Personally I like football the way it is and would prefer if it wasn't meddled with.

so you might miss a couple of games, so what, anybody who prefers it not to be "meddled" with has not spent Saturday after Saturday standing in a howling gale at Gayfield, over 40 years standing at Gayfield, cannot wait for summer football and no matter the arguments there must be more "pros" than "cons", surely

so you might miss a couple of games, so what, anybody who prefers it not to be "meddled" with has not spent Saturday after Saturday standing in a howling gale at Gayfield, over 40 years standing at Gayfield, cannot wait for summer football and no matter the arguments there must be more "pros" than "cons", surely

I've done 35 years so I've got a fair idea what you're talking about. Dec/Jan with no fitba would be drab.

I've done 35 years so I've got a fair idea what you're talking about. Dec/Jan with no fitba would be drab.

the thought of a summer's evening watching a live game, superb, makes up for no games in Dec/Jan, I really cant wait for common sense to prevail

the thought of a summer's evening watching a live game, superb, makes up for no games in Dec/Jan, I really cant wait for common sense to prevail

We can do that now

I think it's a good idea. So much local football is called off and teams can go months without playing. Better pitches, better weather, better football and better players eventually I'd say.

The League of Ireland switched to summer football in 2003/04 on a 3 year trial. It was deemed so successful that the transition was confirmed in 2006 and remains in place, so maybe there's some learning to be had from that. Can't find any review reports but i'm sure there'll have been some kind of analysis. Did see some reportage that skills improved and that the national team benefited by moving up through the FIFA rankings as a result.

No brainer for me. If we want to get more people to games and make the whole match experience more enjoyable, summer football wins every time.

Agreed Red Mist: also the English Rugby League moved and their crowds have improved.

From a purely business cost point of view; it must be more expensive for the clubs to put on a game in January than June; heating and lighting alone.

From a punters point of view, it is more attractive to drive to games (home and away) in better conditions and watch the game in temperatures above freezing.

From a players point of view; well who cares about them, they are only the ones trying to control, pass and entertain in howling winds and on questionable pitches.

Personally; I wouldn't miss games in Jan/ Feb (after the New Year game of course).

I'd much rather prefer a winter break similar to the Bundesliga than summer football. Fans don't have to endure freezing temperatures at their peak, the players get a nice little break to rest and rejuvenate and managers get a little time to thoroughly assess their squads. The only thing I see summer football potentially benefiting is the national team (that's if we even qualify for a summer tournament) and even then, we'd still be Scotland which would mean we'd still be shite.

Archived