Prices

RobRoyGuy

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kilbirnie are going to be selling programmes again this season, the gate increase may affect sales or raffle sales with some fans.

Should do a deal...entry, programme, raffle, pie, can of juice for a tenner.

Do all junior fans live in a bubble ? What price was their morning paper 10 years ago ? What about a packet of fags or half a dozen rolls or a tank of petrol ? Everything about Junior Football is expected to be cheap ... not just admission but raffle, programmes, cost of catering and a drink in the social club. I think it's a cultural thing ... and in some ways it's what makes the Junior game an attractive eccentricity.. However it doesn't reflect lives financial realities for clubs that don't have sugar daddies or setups that allow a cross subsidy.

*rant over*

Do all junior fans live in a bubble ? What price was their morning paper 10 years ago ? What about a packet of fags or half a dozen rolls or a tank of petrol ? Everything about Junior Football is expected to be cheap ... not just admission but raffle, programmes, cost of catering and a drink in the social club. I think it's a cultural thing ... and in some ways it's what makes the Junior game an attractive eccentricity.. However it doesn't reflect lives financial realities for clubs that don't have sugar daddies or setups that allow a cross subsidy.

*rant over*

Whit you on about...the idea IS to make money. If you think the rise in gate money won't affect some punters decision to give the raffle or programme a miss you are living in a bubble. Giving them a deal might entice them to part with more of there money rather than less...its about attracting new punters, not your bog standard pay to watch any old shite fae our teams like you and I.

A 20% increase is steep in anyones maths. However cos it needs to be in pounds thats sensible.

That should in effect cover about 5 years of inflation at least.

I always wonder why petrol never goes up in price though ?

I go to the tank and stick £20 in in 1998, and I still stick £20 in today ;)

*rant over*

Rant from treasurer of a ex senior team.

*rant over*

That pretty much nails it. All other costs go up, electricity, expenses, buses etc etc etc, but admission prices don't.

It's a no brainer but the East chose not to increase. Wasn't even discussed.

what has that got to do with it Brian ? We dont have any of the resources of an ex-senior team. I could say we havent had the benefit of living off the proceeds of selling various parts of a ground to finance a team ... I could say we've had to pay a rental for 12 seasons - something which you're just having to come to terms with. What i am saying is that in all other aspects of their lives ... junior fans have to live in a world where prices go up year on year ... ( except for Council Tax and when they enter a Junior football ground ). £1 and 50p increase per week ... its not too bad.

Is the increase justified for clubs like St Ants who don't pay players or Muirkirk who will have mostly amateur players...will people pay more money to watch clubs like Craigmark?. Diehards will but will clubs attract more punters at higher prices. When you are talking about clubs that have invested in their squad, upgraded facilities then its a no brainer, the admission cost should have risen at least 2 seasons ago and 6 notes is a bargain for the quality of fitba. The East should have increased prices at the same time now we have 6 to watch Pollok and 5 to watch Lithgae,2 clubs at the highest level of the junior game but one offering better value for money.

Fair point re lower leagues. I do think that £5 is pretty cheap for any level of semi-pro football ... and would be happy to pay even more than £6 for Super leagues to be honest. If point is for those grounds with improved facilities deserve to get higher levels of income then yes there are some grounds that deserve ppl to be paying even more .... but in the main they do get a return as they tend to be the ones who do best in terms of cup wins etc.

Fair point re lower leagues. I do think that £5 is pretty cheap for any level of semi-pro football ... and would be happy to pay even more than £6 for Super leagues to be honest. If point is for those grounds with improved facilities deserve to get higher levels of income then yes there are some grounds that deserve ppl to be paying even more .... but in the main they do get a return as they tend to be the ones who do best in terms of cup wins etc.

People would gladly spend for example £20 per 90 minutes drinking alcohol in a pub when in company , likewise £7/£8 for a packet of fags , £6 if lucky for a decent fish supper / Chinese/Indian but people think that £5/£6 is over priced for a semi professional 90 minute football match . :huh:

The pricing not rising over the years typifies junior football for me in terms of it being a bit stuck behind the times as the horrible " junior " tag suggests .

£6 is still great value for me .

Agreed although the only problem could be the guys who are stuck behind a turnstile and after every £6 exchanged means you are constantly losing 4 pounds in coinage per change for every tenner as opposed to a £5 note being fired back .

Maybe best to ask the guys with £10 notes to give you an extra pound to give them back a £5 note.

Have to admit Hertha that was thing that crossed my mind about you guys on the gate.

Remember many years ago when it went up from £1 to £1.20 it was a nightmare for the guys on the gate as they were constantly dishing out change.

It certainly was time for an increase though and at £6 is still great value for money.

Is the increase justified for clubs like St Ants who don't pay players.

These clubs still have the expenses of others like heating the water lighting the dressing rooms buying equipment strips etc. So I say yes it is justified. Not all clubs expenses are paying wages

Have to admit Hertha that was thing that crossed my mind about you guys on the gate.

Remember many years ago when it went up from £1 to £1.20 it was a nightmare for the guys on the gate as they were constantly dishing out change.

It certainly was time for an increase though and at £6 is still great value for money.

It was a real pain when we twice hosted the Ardagh cup final between Irvine meadow and Talbot where I think the price might have been £6 and £3.

Loads of people turned up right on kick off time and our change took an absolute tanking with loads of people handing over ten pound notes.

Remember trying to explain to a drunken meadow fan if he could give me a tenner and a one pound coin and I would give him a £5 note in change, thought he was going to decapitate me as he couldn't work it out as he thought I was trying to charge him £11 to get in. :huh:

People would gladly spend for example £20 per 90 minutes drinking alcohol in a pub when in company , likewise £7/£8 for a packet of fags , £6 if lucky for a decent fish supper / Chinese/Indian but people think that £5/£6 is over priced for a semi professional 90 minute football match . :huh:

The pricing not rising over the years typifies junior football for me in terms of it being a bit stuck behind the times as the horrible " junior " tag suggests .

£6 is still great value for me .

Once you start raising it where does it stop though. knowing the juniors they will probably raise it next year or year after, when for over a decade they never moved it at all.

Once you get closer to a tenner than a fiver you are taking it to far in my opinion especially when you take into consideration other costs of going to a game.

I know two or three guys who go to the junior football who count every penny, when it comes to two or three games a week they can't go to the extra games and have to pick one , I am sure there are a good few guys out there like that.

Once you start raising it where does it stop though. knowing the juniors they will probably raise it next year or year after, when for over a decade they never moved it at all.

Once you get closer to a tenner than a fiver you are taking it to far in my opinion especially when you take into consideration other costs of going to a game.

I know two or three guys who go to the junior football who count every penny, when it comes to two or three games a week they can't go to the extra games and have to pick one , I am sure there are a good few guys out there like that.

There's no strength at all in you saying that they will raise the price again next year or the year after and it's only speculation from yourself.

Agreed that it can be costly when your team are playing 3 times per week on top of travel/ food Etc at games but junior fans get a far easier deal than senior fans get if they're playing a few games per week with much further travel across the country.

If people can't afford three games per week then it's a shame but junior clubs can't be accused of pricing these fans out the game in the manner that the seniors do.

Archived