We need a striker

I've seen threads about goalies and centre backs but we really lack an international class striker who is capable of a 1 in 2 average.

Fletcher isn't good enough. Naismith works hard when he plays there but it isn't his best position. Rhodes and McCormack are good Championship strikers at best.

We've lacked a top striker for years and that's one of main reasons that we haven't qualified for a tournament for so long.

If you watch the highlights of our last half a dozen games where fletcher has played, he has created or been involved in a high percentage of the chances. Look at the passes to Anya v Germany and Poland for example. 2 inch perfect passes that led to immediate goals against the 2 best teams in the group

If you watch the highlights of our last half a dozen games where fletcher has played, he has created or been involved in a high percentage of the chances. Look at the passes to Anya v Germany and Poland for example. 2 inch perfect passes that led to immediate goals against the 2 best teams in the group

Anyone can pass a ball two inches :P

He is ok against the minnows like Gibraltar but when it comes to playing the top teams, he isn't good enough.

I'd like to see Griffiths get a chance to see what he can do.

But he is. It was his play that got us goals in both Poland and Germany. No other striker in our team could do what he did for both they goals. Fletcher IS good enough for Scotland. He's probably one of our better players.

Fletcher isn't a striker, in my opinion. I like him as a player but he doesn't score nearly enough goals. That said, he's still a huge part in the way we play but I wouldn't know how to fit him in.

Steven Fletcher is clearly good enough. Only complete fucking morons think otherwise.

He's also obviously a much better player than Leigh Griffiths is.

Steven Fletcher is 100% good enough to be in every Scotland squad. But those who think he has to start every game as our number 9 in the 4-2-3-1 setup are kidding themselves.

It's not as if he's helping Anya, Maloney and Naismith to score an avalanche of goals for us - we've been scraping most of our good results with the aid of own goals and scrambled efforts: for every goal like Anya's vs Germany, there's 5 or 6 going in off a defender's arse or the like.

I'd be much happier if we could develop our way of playing to win games with a little bit more than a baw-hair's width to spare.

As I mentioned before, the 4-4-1-1 with Naismith and Snodgrass vs Croatia at Hampden impressed and excited me far more than the 4-2-3-1 which often flatters to deceive. Perhaps Fletcher might flourish/improve goalscoring-wise in such a setup?

But he is. It was his play that got us goals in both Poland and Germany. No other striker in our team could do what he did for both they goals. Fletcher IS good enough for Scotland. He's probably one of our better players.

He isn't a top class striker. His link up play is good but it is the job of a striker to score goals and he doesn't do that often enough.

He isn't a top class striker. His link up play is good but it is the job of a striker to score goals and he doesn't do that often enough.

He gets very few chances for Scotland. He is by far our best striker, that's just the way it is, we have nobody better. If there was somebody better I'd be all for them getting a game. But there's no. Not a better finisher, target man or someone that can hold it up as well as he can that is Scottish.

Correct. He isn't a top class striker, but he's very clearly the closest thing we have to one.

Also, does it really matter who scores the goals? As long as they get scored, who cares? The system we use seems to be very good at creating chances for the 3 behind the striker, hence why they all have a couple of goals in this campaign. Fletcher can be a vital part in creating those chances, and as long as he keeps doing the effectively then I don't mind if he himself isn't getting as many goals.

Correct. He isn't a top class striker, but he's very clearly the closest thing we have to one.

Also, does it really matter who scores the goals? As long as they get scored, who cares? The system we use seems to be very good at creating chances for the 3 behind the striker, hence why they all have a couple of goals in this campaign. Fletcher can be a vital part in creating those chances, and as long as he keeps doing the effectively then I don't mind if he himself isn't getting as many goals.

Exactly this

Archived