Let's talk politics - an unsolvable problem?

Granny Danger

There are third and fourth generations of families who are contributing little to the economy and are a drain on resources. Kids growing up in families who know nothing more than claiming benefits and for whom the idea of working is totally alien. It is genuinely a 'cultural problem' that has developed over the last 30 or 40 years.

This isn't a Daily Mail type rant, I'm not criticising those who fall into this category. Anyone who is unfortunate to be born into such a situation has no control over their misfortune and very limited means to escape their surroundings.

This is primarily a societal problem rather than an individual one, though many individuals will suffer as a result of it. The question is 'what is the solution?' and is there any political party who has the answer for this?

Undoubtedly the rabid right will have the simplistic solution of blaming the victim for the crime and thinking that we can starve the culprits into submission. If only it were that simple.

But what is the solution? All of society would benefit from eradication of this underclass. Is it one of those issues that seem so intractable that it's better forgotten whilst we concentrate on more immediate problems?

It will take significant investment to address the issue and there seems little desire to prioritise this issue. Are there other domestic issues that merit greater consideration?

Biblical and orthodox right wing thinkers may accept the idea that the poor will always be with us but in a modern era in a affluent society who benefits from such an ethos and how much better would society be if we challenged that proposition?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually had a discussion about this very matter today.

I can't help but feel education is a big part of where the problem lies. If you're born into that sort of life and you grow up around a malaise and probably wonder why anyone bothers - I can imagine it is demoralising. Likewise, I think after being in that there's probably a good chance your parents won't give a shit about your education if they are in that position.If the motivation goes, how do you get it back? I think a lot of people as they grow up become used to the way their life is and assume that's how it'll always be, or what they have is completely normal. Breaking the cycle has to start a young age.

Education isn't the only issue, but if you leave school with absolutely nothing then there's a high chance you're going to struggle.

As for how to sort it? f**k knows. I think we've tended to dump people on benefits in the past and simply forgotten about them, which is probably a big part of the reason we've got to where we are.

f**k knows. If I had to have a bash then the following.

1. Make work pay. Not in an ids work or die way, but not paying poverty wages. Make work a route out of poverty.

2. Introduce free childcare to allow parents to enter work or training.

3. Take the money spent in secondary education and the money spent in primary and early years and swap them over. Then legislate for health and education integration for early years in the same way as adult health and social care. The point of all of this is to focus on the early developmental years to develop the skills to learn and mental resilience for later life.

Aspirations (or rather lack of) is a big issue. The focus for a lot of schools seems to be towards Growth Mindset strategies where there is statistical evidence that they do make a difference in changing attitudes. It's not just the issue of poverty but a very complex mix of factors.

Stop subsidising corporate greed via the working tax credit system. Make them pay a fair wage for a fair days work and abolish zero-hours contract. Make work a more attractive option.

We have to accept that more jobs are being automated, and could very well accelerate given all the technical advancements we've be hearing about over the last 5 years. The concept of the high street needs to change and is in that awkward transitional phase. There is no way you can compete with someone who stacks something high in a warehouse; sells it over the internet and makes single figure percentage profits on each item sold. There is no silver bullet solution. The problem covers many different areas. Whether it's how the banking system is setup; corporate welfare; single mums; benefits traps; central planning; over regulation/taxation; jobs for boys/masons and "free" trade deals. Each of these a subject within itself.

I agree with 99% of what's already been written but my tuppence worth is, it's systematic. The "underclass" has always been amongst us, it was developed has a means of control & part of the divide & conquer method. Firstly it creates a possible cheaper workforce mentality, if you don't like the conditions of the job there's thousands out there who can replace you. It also uses the eminent of them being a criminal class, therefore reinforcing the need for a restrictive police force in our communities but it is once again just another control mechanism fort maintaining the system.

It's also used as part of the psyche of the "well at least I'm better off than them" & therefore perpetuates the myth of us & them. The truth of it all is that we are on the same side, we are the working class, ok you'll get sniveling capitalist apologists coming back saying it's not like that anymore, the class system is far more complicated etcetera etc. bollocks, it's dead simple, you choose which side you support but you don't get to choose which class you are in.

The system is built on us compartmentalizing ourselves, as long as those at the top are left to get on with it, everything stays the same & runs in their interest. We are out own biggest enemy.

The solution is to change the system so that no one is at the bottom. That we all work together for the advancement & benefit of all not just the rulers at the top of the pyramid.

The simplest solution but the hardest to achieve.

Steps off soapbox.

Grimbo

Poor people are either helpless, vulnerable victims to be pitied or disgusting racist thugs to be hated.

Am I doing this right?

They're also too stupid and pig ignorant to get a job. You could put it down to inferior genes :thumbsdown

Flexible working can exist without zero hours contracts. Ban them.

So those who like having zero hours contracts can go f**k themselves?

Good inclusive suggestion.

Lots of people like zero hours contracts, so this is a stupid suggestion.

Abolishing zero hours contracts might not be wise. It's up for debate.

But it's not a stupid suggestion because lots of people like them. Lots of people like cocaine so, to use your logic, we should legalise it.

So those who like having zero hours contracts can go f**k themselves?

Good inclusive suggestion.

So give me a good inclusive suggestion to prevent someone like Mike Ashley utilising zero hours contracts in a way that is less than honourable.

And FWIW I accept that many are happy with this working arrangement, however they can not be allowed to become the norm.

They're also too stupid and pig ignorant to get a job. You could put it down to inferior genes :thumbsdown

Absolutely. All these poor people - why don't they just ask their mummy and daddy for some money, that's what I do? Stupid IMO.

Also, zero hours contracts are nowhere near becoming the norm. I think that around 1% of people in employment have a zero hours contract.

Archived