Guam

I watched the Faroe Islands cuff Deveronvale 7-1 in 1992.

If you honestly believe that a Junior side can 'cuff' an international team of any level then you need your head checked.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just pick a squad of reasonably athletic young men, give them intensive coaching in footballing tecnique for a year or two and they will be able to frustrate and make a game of it against almost any other footballing nation in the world, outwith the very top dozen or so.

Thats exactly what nations like Iceland, Faroes and many others have done in recent times and just look at the rersults they have achieved.

Can Gibralter do the same thing and take a point of Scotland in the current European qualifiers?

Probably not just yet, but don't rule it out in another few years.

Just pick a squad of reasonably athletic young men, give them intensive coaching in footballing tecnique for a year or two and they will be able to frustrate and make a game of it against almost any other footballing nation in the world, outwith the very top dozen or so.

Thats exactly what nations like Iceland, Faroes and many others have done in recent times and just look at the rersults they have achieved.

Can Gibralter do the same thing and take a point of Scotland in the current European qualifiers?

Probably not just yet, but don't rule it out in another few years.

Have you forgot to take your medication mate? I would defo love to have some of what you've being smoking

Have you forgot to take your medication mate? I would defo love to have some of what you've being smoking

Whats your explanation then for what these very small countries with very little footballing heritage have achieved?

I'm waiting to hear it, and so are plenty of others no doubt.

Whats your explanation then for what these very small countries with very little footballing heritage have achieved?

I'm waiting to hear it, and so are plenty of others no doubt.

What you says is that a team that's got managed for 2 years strong athletic etc would beat England Scotland chile Mexico Wales ?

I watched the Faroe Islands cuff Deveronvale 7-1 in 1992.

If you honestly believe that a Junior side can 'cuff' an international team of any level then you need your head checked.

Awesome addie

I was in goal for that match during my brief but enjoyable time.

Did not think it would ever be mentioned on Internet which did not exist back then.

Totally agree they were different gravy

We drew with a strong Aberdeen team that season not long before.

What you says is that a team that's got managed for 2 years strong athletic etc would beat England Scotland chile Mexico Wales ?

Never said they would beat any of these teams, only that a team of journeyman players can frustrate a much better team by packing their defence and being very disciplined. We see it all the time, so-called inferior teams holding out and occasionally breaking out and scoring a goal totally against the run of play.

The Nordic countries, and I include Iceland and Faroes in that group, are invariably full of big strong players and nowadays they can play a bit as well thanks to good coaching and players who can actually play to a plan.

Why do you think Celtic have chosen a Scandanavian manager, it seems to be working for them.

Never said they would beat any of these teams, only that a team of journeyman players can frustrate a much better team by packing their defence and being very disciplined. We see it all the time, so-called inferior teams holding out and occasionally breaking out and scoring a goal totally against the run of play.

The Nordic countries, and I include Iceland and Faroes in that group, are invariably full of big strong players and nowadays they can play a bit as well thanks to good coaching and players who can actually play to a plan.

Why do you think Celtic have chosen a Scandanavian manager, it seems to be working for them.

All the teams I had mentioned are outside the world top 12 tho

So al you are saying they would also have beat a then very strong Aberdeen?

Certainly would toy with any non league team.

Technical ability far exceeds grit and effort.

I was just comparing our one off achievement v Aberdeen XI in a cup tie, up against a drubbing from an international team who regularly used to base their training camp in Scotland.

The Aberdeen team over the draw and replay featured. Michael Watt, Stewart McKimmie, Roy Aitken, David Winnie, Kieran MacAnespie, Paul Kane, Neil Cooper, Andy Gibson, Andy Roddie and a youthful (New Plymouth manager) Derek Adam. No mugs and we gave them a much better game than the Faroes.

Reality checks are needed for some peoples views on these so called "minnows"

Faroe Islands are certainly much better now than they were back then!

So you are saying that some players from a very good Aberdeen side who finished second in top league in Scotland gave you a easier game to a team who back in 1992 really would have been full of fishermen. Football really is a funny old game as they say.

Obviously the vast vast majority of international teams would beat a non league team with ease, but let's not forget at the very bottom of the world rankings in particular in Oceania they really are some really really poor international teams.

All the teams I had mentioned are outside the world top 12 tho

Lets not get bogged down in detail as regards standings in world ranking, etc. My point is that total population of a country, or territory, or even city or town, has very little bearing on a how their international team performs. Tiny Uraguay won the first two world cups, and can still put up a good showing. Massive India, now reckpned to have an even bigger population than China perform very poorly but they have no tradition of football at all.

They have top cricket, squash, polo, etc teams though and perhaps in another decade or so they might be a force to be reckoned with in football as well.

Another point is that teams from Gibralter, Andorra, San Marino, etc should not have automatic entry to the big tournaments, even the qualifiers to them, they are just unfairly overstretching the system by adding extra matches to the season. Let them have a mini tournament of their own with the winners being promoted to the next big one, just like the Junior cup!

Two things: why are so many people spelling Gibraltar wrong?

Also these shit teams you speak of does it include the Faroe Islands and Liechtenstein? They've both gave us good games in the past. Buggered up other nations chances of qualifying.

Devoronvale 1991-2 finished 13th and 92-3 11th so they weren't even a very good team by Highland league standards at the time.

giphy.gif

Lets not get bogged down in detail as regards standings in world ranking, etc. My point is that total population of a country, or territory, or even city or town, has very little bearing on a how their international team performs. Tiny Uraguay won the first two world cups, and can still put up a good showing. Massive India, now reckpned to have an even bigger population than China perform very poorly but they have no tradition of football at all.

There is a close correlation between success and population at national level, taking into account cultural, economic, social issues etc. So there's no point comparing Scotland with India or China for example, but if you compare the performance of western European nations you will see there is a very close correlation between size and success.

I don't think any junior club could afford to fly out to play them so they'd be awarded 3-0 wins in all their home games by default.

I reckon they'd be about Scottish Championship standard, if they played together as often as club players do.

They'd totally rectum any junior side.

There is a close correlation between success and population at national level, taking into account cultural, economic, social issues etc. So there's no point comparing Scotland with India or China for example, but if you compare the performance of western European nations you will see there is a very close correlation between size and success.

Agreed, but western Europe, and South America also , have the longest tradition as footballing nations and the hierarchy has sorted itself out over the past hundred and twenty years or so. Scotland did perform well above its weight, (to utilise a boxing term) for a very long time but inevitably larger countries who have also a long tradition (although perhaps not quite as long as ours) inevitably rise to the top.

But places such as GibraltAr, (do they even have a league?), Andorra, San Marino can never really be classed as countries and have no place in International tournaments.

Who's next? The Vatican? Monaco?, at least they have one decent club side!

Archived