Steven Fletcher

Mr Bairn

I would listen to an argument that Naismith could play up front instead of Fletcher, I wouldn't agree it but at least it wouldn't be a moronic suggestion like playing Rhodes as a lone striker.

Fletcher is by far and away the best option, out of all out strikers he's the best at holding the ball up, the best in the air, has the best touch and given the chances the best finisher. The reason his goals return doesn't reflect the last point is that as we saw today he has to come really deep to get involved and help the team get up the park so rarely actually gets chances himself. The number of goals he scores is irrelevant, what matters is the number of goals he helps the team score. If he hung around the penalty box more he might get a few more goals, but then the likes of Maloney, Anya and Naismith would get far less.

Rhodes as a lone striker would be a terrible option. He's a 4-4-2 player, which means he should always be on the bench to come on late in a game if we're going 4-4-2 to chase a winner

My team if everyone is fit

Marshall

Hutton-Martin-Hanley-Robertson

Brown-Mulgrew

Snodgrass-Maloney-Anya

Naismith

Subs: Gordon, Bardsley, Mulgrew, D.Fletcher, Morrison, S.Fletcher, Rhodes

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree with the OP.

I appreciate that he drops back to get the ball but he invariably chooses the wrong option with it or puts a chance in the side netting. He pretty much doesn't get the high balls that go it.

I remember laughing at Sky a few months ago when they were trying to build up Raheem Sterling, saying that his best stat was the number of fouls he drew. Are we seriously praising players these days on their ability to fall over for the team?

I don't mind Fletcher but saying that he's our best player or that he's making some kind of outstanding contribution is daft as he really isn't.

He won us countless balls/free kicks from long balls today. In other games his flick ons and set up play has been class.

Should he have scored more goals in a scotland shirt? Aye. But he is up there with our best performers in this campaign so far. Only an idiot can't see that

Agreed. What a crappy topic. Please end it.

Rhodes as a lone striker would be a terrible option. He's a 4-4-2 player, which means he should always be on the bench to come on late in a game if we're going 4-4-2 to chase a winner

My team if everyone is fit

Marshall

Hutton-Martin-Hanley-Robertson

Brown-Mulgrew

Snodgrass-Maloney-Anya

Naismith

Subs: Gordon, Bardsley, Mulgrew, D.Fletcher, Morrison, S.Fletcher, Rhodes

Mulgrew will be covering a lot of ground in that squad

Thought he was very poor today. Playing against O'Shea and Wilson we had a chance to run them ragged, as they clearly don't have much pace, but it turned into a battle, which they clearly relished. I'd have like to have seen Griffiths given 15/20 mins to have a go at them and put them under a bit of pressure.

How anyone can watch that game today and pick out Fletcher as the weak link is beyond me.

He is the best forward we've got - it's that fcuking simple. You could possibly make a case for Naismith, but the drop in class after that to the likes of Rhodes, May, Martin is huge.

How anyone can watch that game today and pick out Fletcher as the weak link is beyond me.

He is the best forward we've got - it's that fcuking simple. You could possibly make a case for Naismith, but the drop in class after that to the likes of Rhodes, May, Martin is huge.

Just watching the highlights now. Naismith's 'shot' on 10 mins nearly hits the corner flag. Naismith is a good player, but he's not the answer as our goalscorer. Comparing him to Martin, Rhodes or May is pointless because they're very different types of player

I reckon our performance level was much higher at the tail end of the last campaign when Naismith was up front than it has been in this one with Fletcher playing up there. Fletcher clearly has his qualities, but I felt as though Naismith pushed opposing defenders back and created space for the middle three, while Fletcher drops deep and compresses the game which I'm not sure suits our team.

If Snodgrass is back fit for the upcoming matches then I'd be pretty happy to see Fletcher dropped to make way for him.

Goals aren't important when you're looking for a striker. Plus, he managed to put away three of approximately 800 chances against the worst team in Europe, so that's a specious argument anyway.

How am I doing?

:lol:

Fletcher is a good player. But, he aint scoring enough. Something has to change and maybe it is his effort. He reminds me of John Sutton at Hearts - and he was a waste of space but loads of Jambos thought that all we needed was the team built around Sutton, like he was some kind of Ronaldo or Messi. Good strikers create their own chances. Agree with the other poster who said that Fletch was nowhere near the crosses that went into the box.

As to playing in the top flight - so did Gary Caldwell for years, Incredibly. He was an utter donkey. No wonder Wigan got relegated. Sunderland aint doing that well either.

Fletcher clearly works well for us, he drops deep and pulls the defenders out of position in doing so to create space for the 3 behind him to do their thing - look at the first goal v Poland. Also the fact that our other striking options are nowhere near his level, despite what simpletons would tell you, means that his goal scoring record, while not great, doesn't really bother me that much. His overall play is invaluable.

Naismith is also wasted as an out and out striker IMO and is much better utilised behind someone,.

I'd be happy with naismith up top and the 3 of Anya, Maloney and Snodgrass in behind.

All 4 work the ball great with each other. Fletcher wins headers and can hold the ball up well when he wants but Naisy is deceptively good in the air and will run all day. Good finisher aswell.

Just watching the highlights now. Naismith's 'shot' on 10 mins nearly hits the corner flag. Naismith is a good player, but he's not the answer as our goalscorer. Comparing him to Martin, Rhodes or May is pointless because they're very different types of player

You're quite right, Fletcher and Naismith are the 'type of player' capable of performing at this level, up front for Scotland, the others are not.

Scotland fans happy with a striker who works hard, wins free kicks, but never scores goals.

Its Kenny Miller all over again.

Thank god you exist. I thought i was the only person that had this thought. Boys in pub yday disagree'in wae me. I thought name o game was about scoring goals. J Rhodes scores goals. Lets other 9 run about. Working hard wont get us to finals as K Millar n co fun oot...

Sigh

I'd be happy with naismith up top and the 3 of Anya, Maloney and Snodgrass in behind.

All 4 work the ball great with each other. Fletcher wins headers and can hold the ball up well when he wants but Naisy is deceptively good in the air and will run all day. Good finisher aswell.

Agree Naismith can finish with aplomb, but he seems to balloon 5 or 6 chances wide/over or fluff the shot for every one that actually tests the keeper.

He'd be in my starting xi 9 times out of 10, but I wouldn't rely on him for goals.

Archived