Summer Football

Switch to Summer Football  

131 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The summers also coincide with Gala days where travelling to games is made awkward, not to mention people would prefer to get binned than go to the football. Usually Queens early season games also clash with the Dumfries Agricultural Show which also usually are the worst attended games of the season.

Bless: I had forgotten how the residents of Dumfries are trapped permanently in the 1950s.

Agricultural shows and gala days :lol:

Summer is for other stuff. Hols, Barbies in the garden, trips on Cal-Mac to the islands, golf, munro bagging, whatever. Other stuff.

Getting into the pub for a wee top-shelfer warmer after a freezing afternoon at the Bairnabeu is rather compelling, and comforting.

And besides, the alternative would mean having the Cup Final in early December? Whit?

Would anyone here expect to pay more to go to games if it was summer football? No? Well why are some expecting (or assuming) that Sky/BT would pay more?

More a case of wondering if Sky would pay more due to the lack of any football over the summer. They can get away with offering a pittance when our game is up against the English league

Don't have an answer..... Just curious

You defeat yourself here. People have increased outdoor sporting options in the summer, which can compete with football. For me, it's very simple. Winter is shit. Without football, it would be more shit.

so are we realy suggesting that people go to football in winter because theres nothing else to do? pish. if its too cauld to wet and too expensive people will just sit at home and play with their ipads Xboxes etc etc.

so are we realy suggesting that people go to football in winter because theres nothing else to do? pish. if its too cauld to wet and too expensive people will just sit at home and play with their ipads Xboxes etc etc.

Thats not really the point. Football is competing with many other leisure activities for peoples time and money. The argument against summer football is that there are more leisure activities to compete with than during the winter

No, I don't believe we are.

I'm really suggesting what I said in my post though.

For what it's worth, I went along to Bohemians vs Shamrock Rovers the night before the Ireland game. The standard was utterly brutal (Paddy Cregg was easily the best player on the pitch). I can see the arguments for Summer football but I'm just not convinced.

No, I don't believe we are. I'm really suggesting what I said in my post though.

Thats not really the point. Football is competing with many other leisure activities for peoples time and money. The argument against summer football is that there are more leisure activities to compete with than during the winter

fair enough. football is competing with more and more alternatives these days. if your not a die hard and youre swithering about going along to a game but its fcuking miserable then staying in the house and parking youre arse on the couch is much more appealing than it was years ago. why watch crap players play crap football on a crap pitch when you can stay at home and watch wall to wall coverage of English and European football for about the same price as going to 3 Scottish games a month?.

as ive said on the other thread I don't support full summer football. just starting earlier and finishing later with the whole of January off after the new year derbys. i'd also like a 16 team - 30 game league and going back to having the league cup final in autumn. more games in nice weather , fewer games in shite weather. but still having the season concluding in early summer.

we've got to make this as appealing to fans and potential fans as possible. the more attractive games are the better. i'd also support having no midweek games in December January and February. and having a maximum travel time for non traditional kick offs. none of this st Johnston away to ross county on a Monday night.

fair enough. football is competing with more and more alternatives these days. if your not a die hard and youre swithering about going along to a game but its fcuking miserable then staying in the house and parking youre arse on the couch is much more appealing than it was years ago. why watch crap players play crap football on a crap pitch when you can stay at home and watch wall to wall coverage of English and European football for about the same price as going to 3 Scottish games a month?.

as ive said on the other thread I don't support full summer football. just starting earlier and finishing later with the whole of January off after the new year derbys. i'd also like a 16 team - 30 game league and going back to having the league cup final in autumn. more games in nice weather , fewer games in shite weather. but still having the season concluding in early summer.

we've got to make this as appealing to fans and potential fans as possible. the more attractive games are the better. i'd also support having no midweek games in December January and February. and having a maximum travel time for non traditional kick offs. none of this st Johnston away to ross county on a Monday night.

There isn't any football on TV at 3pm on a Saturday when most Scottish games are played.

The main point of your argument is right though - why go and watch football when there are other things to do? In the winter this is, pretty much, limited to indoor activities. In the summer you've got all the indoor options plus a bunch of outdoor activities to compete with as well.

If the season runs right through summer when does preseason happen?

So, to be clear, you don't support full summer football, you just want the season to start earlier and finish later.

The domestic season finished on May 31st this season (granted the bottom two divisions finished about a fortnight earlier). The international season finished last Sunday, June 14th. Queens start pre-season for the existing start date on Tuesday, June 23rd. I think Alloa went back today. Notwithstanding that the sides not involved in the Challenge Cup or early European rounds are probably having an extra week, when exactly do you want to fit in this later finish and earlier start? When would you like the players to take their holidays? In January presumably, mid season. Those with school kids will love that and I can't see managers being overly delighted to send the players away on family holidays during a 4 week off period when they go straight back into competitive football on their return without a pre-season.

As an aside, a maximum travel time for non-traditional kick offs. So County and Inverness then can only play each other on those dates and times, presuming of course they happen to be in the same division? Honestly, the way people go on you'd think Scotland was the size of Russia. It's not. English clubs play much more frequent midweek games than our clubs do and travel much further to do it.

Its do able if you go to a 16 team league. Frees up a few dates and allows a winter break. I agree you still want to have the season wraped up before the european cup final. Id rather have some more games in july . That still gives players 3 or 4 weeks off in the summer plus a winter break. Thats still better than youd get doing a real job

Scotland is a small country yes. Still is there any point in having 2 relatively poorly supported teams travelling 4 -5 hours midweek?

Its do able if you go to a 16 team league. Frees up a few dates and allows a winter break. I agree you still want to have the season wraped up before the european cup final. Id rather have some more games in july . That still gives players 3 or 4 weeks off in the summer plus a winter break. Thats still better than youd get doing a real job

Scotland is a small country yes. Still is there any point in having 2 relatively poorly supported teams travelling 4 -5 hours midweek?

Well yes, it is. I said that in my first post on the thread. If you want to drastically reduce the number of games then you could hold a much shorter season. A 16 team league reduces the number of games in the top division by 8 presuming the play each other twice. Not sure what you intend to do with the lower divisions and the remaining 26 teams though? However, neither clubs nor players want a shorter season. Less games means less income, both directly at the turnstile and indirectly via sponsors, advertisers, hospitality and tv. Less income means much lower wages and lower wages means less full time football and inevitably better players therefore gravitating away from Scotland. Is that what you want?

It's like I've said before, if what people aspire to is football in this country being semi-professional, part time with all our top footballers making their careers in different countries and our clubs having no pretence of trying to compete internationally then summer football is workable. If you want to effectively make Scotland a slightly bigger version of the League of Wales or Irish League then that's fine. I don't want that but it's a workable alternative. However, if the aim is to improve the standards in the country and make football bigger / better than it is at the moment then the concept of "summer" football is a pipe dream than cannot work in practice.

So the central planks of this radical manifesto involve preventing people from staying home in winter to watch televised football even though they can't; and stopping the scheduling of winter midweek fixtures, even though it doesn't happen.

Meanwhile, any concerns over quality of product will be addressed by slashing income.

I'm definitely in.

Guest TOPFITTER

The status quo would appear in its-self to be reducing crowds and I am guessing therefore wages and so by Skylines extrapolation leading us to part-time football being played in a diddy league akin to the LOI or LOW. Maybe the Customer has different expectations on what they expect as entertainment for their money. Appearing to demean other country's leagues and belittleing fans for suggesting change is surely not the politics of inclusion!!!

The status quo would appear in its-self to be reducing crowds and I am guessing therefore wages and so by Skylines extrapolation leading us to part-time football being played in a diddy league akin to the LOI or LOW.

Are crowds reducing though?

They are for the OF (which is welcome in my view) but are generally holding up elsewhere, are they not?

Guest TOPFITTER

Are crowds reducing though? They are for the OF (which is welcome in my view) but are generally holding up elsewhere, are they not?

I used the term "APPEAR" as it is my perception, for Queens 1950's to 2000's would suggest the general trend is downwards, it's not just the Quality of football on offer or the expected comfort to watch the product in, it's societies cultural changes that need to be factored in. Being disrespectful of any stakeholder I would argue is less than productive.

Archived