Bathgate Thistle

Guest chavez

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18players on 20 pounds a week 360 pounds are you joking ,good budget no way that will make it difficult to be successful in my opinion

Money isn't everything, that's half the problem with the Junior game, too much money going into players back pockets.

why do you think Gareth packed the job in after 2days that was the weekly budget fact

if you give a kid £5 pocket money and they blow it on shite or are ungrateful then £5 is the most they are going to get!!! Most junior clubs have a starting budget, a ball park number so to speak. Poor show from Gareth if that's why he didn't take it. Even if £350 is top line then the team last year must have run on a similar budget and could have been in a better position at the end of season with some changes

When you look at the crowds coming in and no other income to speak of, that kind of weekly budget cannot be a surprise when you think about it.

You can't spend what you've not got. Bathgate will always feel the pain of having no attached social club etc like some other teams do and the location of creamery Park within the town is detrimental IMO.

If that's the budget, that's the budget

When you look at the crowds coming in and no other income to speak of, that kind of weekly budget cannot be a surprise when you think about it.

You can't spend what you've not got. Bathgate will always feel the pain of having no attached social club etc like some other teams do and the location of creamery Park within the town is detrimental IMO.

agreed!!!

agree with that but unless you've got money you won't get the quality of player required to be successful,that's how it is unfortunately,most players now play for money the days of playing for the same club all your career is almost over.

agree with that but unless you've got money you won't get the quality of player required to be successful,that's how it is unfortunately,most players now play for money the days of playing for the same club all your career is almost over.

That may be so, but how many teams have chucked money at it and still been crap.

The fact is they don't have money so if they are to have any success, it will have to be with players that are hungry rather than mercenary.

At least until they develop things off the field that can help generate revenue.

That may be so, but how many teams have chucked money at it and still been crap.

The fact is they don't have money so if they are to have any success, it will have to be with players that are hungry rather than mercenary.

At least until they develop things off the field that can help generate revenue.

thats true but the supporters and officials all want promotion this season and I don't think that's possible with the players you can attract with the wages on offer

success can be measured in different ways, I'd much rather play at a club where all the supporters know my name and make me feel at home than getting an extra £10 - £20 per week in ma pocket

success can be measured in different ways, I'd much rather play at a club where all the supporters know my name and make me feel at home than getting an extra £10 - £20 per week in ma pocket

thats ok if you have a good paying job a lot of the players don't ,

There's more chance of the players knowing the names of the Bathgate fans there's that few of them, and that's the reason they've no money. The locals aren't interested in watching the juniors, the only reason they lasted as long as they did with the big time players was Willie Hills cash, when it was gone so we're they

again I agree, the community needs to get behind the club

again I agree, the community needs to get behind the club

It could be said that the juniors need to get behind the community. The locals don't have an obligation to support them, they need a motivation.

The rest of the community club is thriving, with hundreds of young players involved and growing all the team. The juniors haven't really got involved apart from Bobby Napier.

I think once they get the whole ethos of 'community' club, the support will grow and the money everyone says is needed, will start to come in.

Just to set the record straight. I was told I had £350 to spend a week on players and coaching staff combined. Unfortunately 6 players were signed but had used up £160 of that budget. I had 3 players who were fans favourites that I had to resign or my name would have been dust.....they were on £40 a week.Already 280 of the budget gone. At this stage in the season players are already tied up and pre season starting next week , you unfortunately need something to offer players to move from already decent paying clubs. I had 70 pounds to pay 11 quality players , myself, an assistant, 2 coaches and a gk coach. £4 each a week. As much as I am enthusiastic and optimistic, gone are the days where players just want to play for a club. The harsh reality is they will move where the money is. I had some really good Superleague players , ex senior and some top south division players lined up to sign this weekend all who weren't looking for a fortune ,but all my groundwork on getting them on board was a complete waste of time as I couldn't offer them anything. 2 of my coaching staff walked as they weren't willing to have £100 + phone bills every month, petrol costs and ultimately giving up all their free time and huge efforts into player recruitment, training etc to not get a penny back. The club needs cleared out and a proper wage structure in place. Ie every player gets £10 a week. The unfortunate thing is the expectation from the supporters along with all the best players walking is a viscous combination. I had a supporters question and answer session last night and I'm not the kind of person to bullshit people . I couldn't sit there and promise to bring back the big time and come out with all the usual cliches that are expected from a manager on such an evening. The club have a very nice , hard working committee who clearly work as hard as they can . The unfortunate thing as a manager is when bathgate are playing against teams like Haddington who have huge budgets in comparison, the expectation is still to compete and win. Had I taken the job 6 or 7 weeks ago, I would have cleared the place out and introduced a wage structure but at this late stage it was too much of a gamble to do it now. 8 days before pre season , 0 players signed and only £ 10 a week to offer guys to come. I wasn't prepared to put the club in that position as it is a great club and it may not have worked out. I genuinely wish everyone at the club great success because they deserve it and to all the supporters to unite instead. What's went on in this forum is the last thing the club needs. The new manager needs time and patience and I hope this statement gives him that and makes the supporters aware of the severity of the situation. I went into the job thinking bathgate had a bit of money . No signing on fees, no money for transfers and £70 weekly budget to pay 16 individuals is not good reading. Now please get behind the new manager and the committee and forget about the past .....it's gone. Whatever level of player he brings in , encourage them don't criticise and the club will be in a better place. The abuse that I received on here was nothing short of shocking . Give the new guy the benefit of the doubt and don't jump to conclusions. Gareth Alexander

....and yet at least one Premier League team will only be paying expenses next season and their management have just got on with it and not complained.

Archived