Barry Douglas

Owsley

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why was that a farce to have him in as a 3rd choice keeper at the time? Who did he keep out the squad that was more deserving?

Because he was one of the worst goalkeepers in the league last season and clearly wasn't picked on merit, nor is there any prospect of him challenging to be first choice for the position at any point in the future. If we're going down that route then Scott Fox would have been a slightly less shit option.

It doesn't matter a huge deal of course because 3rd choice goalkeeper is the least important position, and to be fair to Strachan he'd already called up Bain who had to withdraw, but I'd rather we offered the chance to someone involved with the u21 squad who would be likely to benefit more from time spent with Marshall, Gordon and the coaching team.

Because he was one of the worst goalkeepers in the league last season and clearly wasn't picked on merit, nor is there any prospect of him challenging to be first choice for the position at any point in the future. If we're going down that route then Scott Fox would have been a slightly less shit option.

It doesn't matter a huge deal of course because 3rd choice goalkeeper is the least important position, and to be fair to Strachan he'd already called up Bain who had to withdraw, but I'd rather we offered the chance to someone involved with the u21 squad who would be likely to benefit more from time spent with Marshall, Gordon and the coaching team.

It's not as if we had a lot of Scottish keepers playing top flight football at the time, You say he wasn't called up on merit. What was the alternative motive behind his call up?

What u21 keepers? Where are they now? I need to ask again, what keepers didn't get a call up at the time that was more deserving?

As for Scott Fox

283980-garry-oconnor-morton-march-2014.j

As for Scott Fox

Fox had a markedly better campaign last season than Samson, conceding less goals per game and keeping more clean sheets. You asked for a more deserving call-up than Samson, and I have given you one.

I don't know what Strachan's motive was for picking Samson. Maybe his name was higher up his phone contacts, maybe he's promised to bring his poker set to pass the time in the hotel, or maybe more suitable options are already on holiday. Either way I don't think Strachan sweated over the decision (which is fair enough I suppose) otherwise he wouldn't have concluded Samson as his 5th best goalkeeping option, because that would have been blatantly incorrect.

Henley and Hamilton appear to be the goalkeepers of choice for our u21 side (given every second post of yours seems to be lifted from a google search I'm sure you could have found that for yourself), so I'd assume they have a credible shot at improving enough over time to challenge for the position in the senior team. Samson has already found his peak at the arse end of the Scottish Premiership and has literally zero capacity for long term improvement, thus his call-up doesn't appear to make sense at any level.

It's not as if we had a lot of Scottish keepers playing top flight football at the time, You say he wasn't called up on merit. What was the alternative motive behind his call up?

What u21 keepers? Where are they now? I need to ask again, what keepers didn't get a call up at the time that was more deserving?

As for Scott Fox

283980-garry-oconnor-morton-march-2014.j

I don't think it's much of a stretch to say Scott Fox is slightly better than Samson. Or you could even call up Gilks - albeit he never plays.

I can't say Scotland's fifth choice keeper is a quandary which keeps me up at night, but I do think Strachan has an odd affection for some players and extremely quick to dismiss others. No malevolent agenda, just a bit odd.

I don't think it's much of a stretch to say Scott Fox is slightly better than Samson. Or you could even call up Gilks - albeit he never plays.

For a while I think Gilks was the No.3 but it appeared every time he got called up he picked up an injury

For a while I think Gilks was the No.3 but it appeared every time he got called up he picked up an injury

Yeah. He also moved to Burnley and never played. I seem to recall he had a blinder coming on at half time. Also seems like a thoroughly decent bloke. If he gets a game for Burnley, I think this discussion becomes moot.

Not a regular on this forum so don't know if he's been mentioned much but I see he has just won the league with Lech Poznan, playing 27 games and scoring 3 goals. Never seems to get a mention for Scotland. Get the feeling Strachan would call up Lee Wallace again before a 25 year old playing at a very high level.

He was rubbish at United and I'd be very surprised if he had improved beyond half decent in the two seasons since he left.

Thought Douglas came into a game for us after a slow start.

Being the meat in a Dixon Robertson sandwich he doesn't get the credit he deserves imo.

I'd agree he was worse than the two you've mentioned. I'd also have him behind Conner Whatisname.

Difficult to say, depends how much he's improved since he left United. As honking as Forsyth was tonight I'd expect an even worse performance from Douglas.

He's a regular for the Polish champions. I'm guessing he isn't half as pish as most United fans seem to remember.

That said, we don't really need him. We have better options, even if we played that Forsyth diddy there today.

If Forsyth was being dropped from the squad then I'd expect to see Graeme Shinnie picked ahead of Douglas. Playing regularly for the Polish champions doesn't really mean you have to be any good - look at some of the guys who have played regularly for Celtic recently. All the evidence from his time in Scotland suggests he's an average Premiership player at best.

Forsyth > Shinnie > Douglas.

Not that any of them should start mind. Andy Robertson should have the position sealed and hopefully he will by the time out next fixture comes around.

• 7 months later...

Archived