League set up 2015

For all the talk of meaningless games and mismatches, there can't seriously be many who would look at a set up that has 16 teams under its umbrella and say ' tell you what, why don't we split them into two groups of eight and play each other four times'.

If we actually detach ourselves from our association to different clubs then the 16 team league makes the most sense by far. As I've said previously it will hopefully allow teams to develop on and off the park and move towards licensing.

I do however think that more than one lowland league spot should be made up for grabs at the end though with potentially some sort of play off system which could involve the 2nd to 4th teams in the sos and EoS.

The lowland league (Sfa) don't want anymore EOS clubs joining they have made that clear by the constant changing of the requirements.

Made that clear when they told Easthouses, Civil and Coldstream that their main perimeter fence wasn't suitable. Throw in the £2000 non refundable application fee it turns the whole thing into a joke you could have a scenario where the likes of LTHV, Civil, Duns, Burntisland & Coldstream all apply all get rejected and the Sfa pocket a nice £10000.

These clubs have made considerable efforts to improve their facilities but are now being asked to spend even more money for more adjustments.

If u think about it, if leith had played there strongest team, tried an inch that day, got a result, easthouses would be in Scottish cup and no way be joining the juniors, so if anyone wants to blame someone maybe leith would be a good start lol haha this is all too funny

I'll take different league new challenge and a target to aim for, Scottish Junior Cup participation rather than a league that is now dead on its feet.

As I said unless EOS clubs are gonna pump tens of thousands of pounds to develop their facilities to the standard the lowland league want there is nowhere to aim for.

Good sides like LTHV, yes Leith will get bored struggle to attract players and the standard will decline further and further.

The top 3 premier league sides finished 20 points better than 4th place the previous season Easthouses were 25 better off than the 3rd best side in the first in gaining promotion no disrespect to the hard working commitees of the 1st division sides but they are nowhere near the standard required to make the EOS a strong competitive league.

One plus point are Peebles a good young side who will do well next season and I tip them to run LTHV and Leith close.

Edited by ruby murray

As I see it personally: the EOS League is probably at the crossroads now, the next 1 or 2 years will likely define its future prospects.

Action may be taken to stop losing members, consolidate, and look to recruit new clubs... whether ambitious amateurs, the odd junior interested in the pyramid, or whatever. With the aim of stopping the rot and hopefully even getting back to 2 divisions. There are still positives. Afterall, more than half the members are working towards licensing in some form and many aspire to gain promotion to LL. It still has a handful of Scottish Cup entrants, it still dominates Edinburgh and the Borders.

Or things may continue as they have been and nothing happen... with a risk that numbers and standards continue to fall due to clubs ascending to LL, moving to the Juniors, second teams being withdrawn, or some new factor bursting upon it like LL did (e.g. some restructuring higher-up drawing off more clubs).

It's difficult to predict.

On the one hand the EOSL has survived and often flourished for 90 years; has the USP of being the eastern feeder to LL; is generally well-run and offers some other benefits (e.g. U20s); and still has its fate in its own hands.

On the other hand, its membership has split down the middle on something as fundamental as 1 or 2 divisions; it has recruited only 1 first-team club in normal circumstances in 7 years; it just lost a club to the Juniors for the first time since 1966; and it's gone from 26 clubs to 16 (only 14 of them first-teams) in the space of 2 years.

Time will tell.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Hibee, it's fucked mate !!! And has been since the start of the LL imo. I know some Clubs that are struggling to put 11 swinging dicks on the pitch every week, managers are like rocking horse shite and the overall standard is as low as it's ever been. Lily imo have made a good move. I hope it somehow recovers, but it could take a while

The LL was ultimately the end of the EOS as a serious league.

What we need is a LL div 2, with teams who have real vision and hope to progress, ie Duns, Peebles Coldstream etc, and let the rest go amateur.

Edited by BORDERBEAR

I was at a coaching course a couple months back and was speaking to a Coldstream representative they have spent near to £80000 bringing their ground up to what was meant to be the LL standard to be then told the perimeter fence did not meet the requirement.

Easthouses were told the same and then given another reason that there was no onsite parking for the officials on match days. Yet there are already clubs in the LL where the onsite parking is limited or the officials still have a considerable walk to the changing rooms.

As I also stated previously clubs also have to pay £2000 for the privelged just to apply to be considered by the SFA and if rejected don't see a penny of that money back.

Where do the LL/SFA think EOS clubs are getting the money for all these requirements when you are now down to a handful of teams who actually pay their players any sort of wage.

Junior football was the best move for Easthouses a new challenge a goal to aim for a chance to play in the Scottish junior cup.

Local derbies in cups against Dalkeith, Newtongrange, Bonnyrigg and Arniston where the chance of bigger crowds and extra revenue I wouldn't be surprised if other clubs followed suit.

The way I see it is that easthouses have no ambition to better there club and stay in the pyramid. If they were any club at all they'd be taking the place of the lowland league team this year and fighting for promotion to the spfl 3 but they have went to the land of greed and money hunters

If there was any problem with Coldstream's fence it must have been sorted or otherwise resolved? They were actually granted their licence last month.

EDIT: Also £2,000 is the SFA membership fee, IIRC.

Subtly different implications, therefore, albeit necessary for licence.

See 6.4:

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/resources/documents/SFAPublications/ScottishFAPublications2014-15/Handbook%202014-15..pdf

Doesn't say non-refundable but if that's correct I'd agree that's unhelpful.

Edited by HibeeJibee

They were told it wasn't high enough and as it only goes round 2/3rds of ground due to the wall along the pitch side.

In response to the tin man

If the LL is the holy grail for clubs to reach the spfl l2 why haven't the massive super league East and west junior not bitten the SFA's hand off to join as we all know that was what the SFA hoped for they wanted the likes of auchinleck, Hurlford, Irvine Meadow, Linlithgow, Bo'ness, Bonnyrigg and Newtongrange all to apply but not a single club showed interest.

Simple reason and one the Brora Rangers chairman stated the set up of the whole of Scottish football is flawed part time senior clubs in league 2 being asked to play midweek fixtures such as Berwick V Elgin or Annan V Peterhead ludicrous.

If they had defeated Montrose in the play off the splf2 adventure could have potentially bankrupted them.

There is no money in Scottish football at all levels yet the SFA expect clubs at EOS level to spend near on £100000 to redevelop grounds to make the standard for LL

Easthouses ground improvements perimeter fence £30000 floodlights £40000 new changing rooms completed by former players, players and volunteers for nothing but the materials required to complete easy £10000-£15000 but yeah they have chosen greed over a league that has done nothing to improve its standing over the past 3 or 4 seasons.

No they have chosen a new challenge a chance to climb 3 leagues and an adventure in the Scottish junior cup .

Something the EOS could give them I remember about 6 season ago the Scottish cup was to become an open draw after the qualifying cup north and South was dissolved allowing all EOS clubs entry to the Scottish Cup but it was kicked out by the full member clubs who would have had to split the sponsor money even further with these clubs.

Edited by ruby murray

As I've previously said, the EOS board should be proactively looking to recruit new teams. I am happy to apologise if I am in the wrong here, but it seems they are just happy to let things slowly get worse rather than go all out to recruit.

Berwick and Hibs have had teams in the set up recently, maybe an approach to similar clubs on that basis? Or the other Universities that don't currently have a "senior" team competing at that level (QMU, Napier). Or of course maybe even speaking to David Ramage at LEAFA about encouraging applications from some of the amateur clubs and then maybe even working with them to support them.

The criteria for me would be key - it's far to pie in the sky and although it's great to have a clear distinction between EOS and amateur, and it's always great to encourage high standards, the entry criteria should be relaxed to ensure the very survival of the association.

Surely having to play at a ground with wee changing rooms and no fencing is better than no playing at all, coz that's the way it's heading.

Massive 12-24 months for EOS, I hope it's positive but fear it won't be.

All you have to do is look at LL winners Edinburgh City, biggest game in their recent history at home to Brora with the chance of promotion 2nd div - attendance 900 fans

To some Spartans are considered the biggest club in Edinburgh and on big scottish cup games against berwick can get crowds of 3000, but the average attendance at their games is not anymore than 300.

Bo'ness Linlithgow Bonnyrigg etc all have much larger followings

Simple fact ...more money in the top of Junior football allows these clubs to spend bigger to attract better players.

I do believe that some of the LL teams could hold their own in the super league but most wouldn't make it past the premier.

All you have to do is look at LL winners Edinburgh City, biggest game in their recent history at home to Brora with the chance of promotion 2nd div - attendance 900 fans

To some Spartans are considered the biggest club in Edinburgh and on big scottish cup games against berwick can get crowds of 3000, but the average attendance at their games is not anymore than 300.

Bo'ness Linlithgow Bonnyrigg etc all have much larger followings

Simple fact ...more money in the top of Junior football allows these clubs to spend bigger to attract better players.

I do believe that some of the LL teams could hold their own in the super league but most wouldn't make it past the premier.

Good post. I agree on your last point about LL teams holding their own in Super leagues. I have attended 2 LL matches over the last 2 seasons, 1 at Spartans and 1 at BSC (which was a belter of a game, 1-1 draw with Whitehill W.) and was definitely equivalent to superleague standard, however it felt as though I was at a pre season friendly with around 40 paying fans at each (although loads of youths and coaches in their Spartans tracksuits there supporting the 1st team at that game which was great).

You also only need to look at Edinb City papping Talbot oot the Scottish.