greatest disappointment following your team

Given the official attendance was 2,656, that seems rather far-fetched.

Fair enough. Not too much less than 2000 would be more likely then, the away stand was full and the terracing behind the goal was pretty full too.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of recent ones spring to mind -

The team not showing up for the crunch game at Firhill two seasons ago.

Losing the play-off to Peterhead in 2006.

But for me it has to be the debacle of season 1993-94, where McGraw took us to the third tier for the first time ever. Okay, so 5 clubs were relegated for reconstruction purposes, but even that was no excuse as we ended up second bottom, behind Stirling, Clyde and Dumbarton. Low points from that one were -

• picking up one solitary point in the derby games
  • losing 4-2 at home in a derby B&Q cup tie
  • losing 5-1 in three different ways, two on consecutive away trips at Brockville and Love Street
  • going 2-0 up on the hour mark at Douglas Park, and with 10 minutes left Accies are 3-2 up and have the luxury of missing a penalty
  • being absolutely shite at Boghead for two 2-0 defeats
  • the board drowning out the booing with trumpet music the instant the final whistle went after a 1-0 home defeat to Ayr which officially sent us down
  • one of the groundsmen having to play against Falkirk and scoring an OG
  • David Wylie punching the ball off Willie Watters' head for the only goal of the game at home to Stirling
  • winning only six league games all season, half of them against Brechin

Fucking dross, it was.

Eh!? Whit?

I was a nipper at the time so memory's hazy. I do remember us having a right c**t of an injury record that season (and was all worth it for the two seasons that followed)

Eh!? Whit?

I was a nipper at the time so memory's hazy. I do remember us having a right c**t of an injury record that season (and was all worth it for the two seasons that followed)

Thread got me thinking but amazingly in 40 years watching Saints the great days for me far outweigh the stinkers. Hammarby, The nine man final defeat, losing umpteen semis in the 80s and the seven goal gubbing at Starks Park stick in the memory however there are a few less infamous beatings that personally stand out for me. Losing cup qf at Gretna when we had a real chance to win it, a 5 goal home trouncing by Forfar at Love St in a cup game, the home replay defeat to the fakes after Dorman had equalised in Perth and a bizzare 3v3 draw at Boghead after an Eddie Gallagher hat trick had as 3 up with 15 to go. Plenty more bad defeats but these are the standouts for me.

A couple of recent ones spring to mind -

The team not showing up for the crunch game at Firhill two seasons ago.

Losing the play-off to Peterhead in 2006.

But for me it has to be the debacle of season 1993-94, where McGraw took us to the third tier for the first time ever. Okay, so 5 clubs were relegated for reconstruction purposes, but even that was no excuse as we ended up second bottom, behind Stirling, Clyde and Dumbarton. Low points from that one were -

• picking up one solitary point in the derby games
  • losing 4-2 at home in a derby B&Q cup tie
  • losing 5-1 in three different ways, two on consecutive away trips at Brockville and Love Street
  • going 2-0 up on the hour mark at Douglas Park, and with 10 minutes left Accies are 3-2 up and have the luxury of missing a penalty
  • being absolutely shite at Boghead for two 2-0 defeats
  • the board drowning out the booing with trumpet music the instant the final whistle went after a 1-0 home defeat to Ayr which officially sent us down
  • David Wylie punching the ball off Willie Watters' head for the only goal of the game at home to Stirling
  • winning only six league games all season, half of them against Brechin

Fucking dross, it was.

:lol:

Was thinking that the last 15 years have been quite disappointment free following QoS. There have been some gutting moments**, but nothing rage inducing: until you reminded me of this! I don't think I've ever been truly furious/gutted being a QoS supporter, but that decision really stung. It clearly wasn't enough to stop me following them but I was mad for a good couple of months following the decision.

The biggest disappointment of this season was hands down the Falkirk quarter final. It felt like it was the only game of the season the boys failed to turn up to and it was arguably the biggest game of our season. Disappointing but it was a good season overall so it's hard to hold it against the players!

When I think about it, the biggest disappointment for me was the Challenge Cup final defeat in 1997 against (ironically) Falkirk. I was only 8 at the time though so it probably wasn't as bad for the older ones. I was pretty gutted though.

** Any defeat to Gr£tna.

** The 1-0 defeat at Stranraer.

** Challenge cup final at Perth.

** The Scottish Cup final I suppose, although I felt nothing but pride personally.

I too have lived through an extraordinarily successful period for the club, so my disappointments will be nothing like the scale of the likes of JR and MT who have stood amongst a 300 strong crowd watching yet another Queens capitulation.

Notable ones for me though are -

• Being humped by a Dundee United side who had been destroyed 7-1 by Rangers the midweek prior to our game. We weren't a particularly great side at the time, but it felt like a genuine opportunity to actually beat a Premier League team, something that is still pretty rare for us. We completely froze on the day, giving them far too much respect, when a more dominant display may have shown up a side whose confidence was obviously low.
  • Turning up to what will likely be our only ever games in European competition to find our greatest ever player has been dropped in favour of Stewart Kean. Simply unforgivable from the clown.
  • The Challenge Cup Final against Ross County was bitterly disappointing. It was a gloriously sunny day, the pre-match atmosphere in Perth was brilliant, we then gifted a goal within the first couple of minutes and never looked like recovering. Talk about a damp squib.
  • Losing to Brechin in the cup when a victory would have seen us facing Buckie Thistle in the Quarters, which would have represented a great opportunity to return to Hampden. Again we just failed to show up when it mattered. Colin McMenamin scored one of the best goals I've seen live that night, but it was too little too late.
  • The terrible mis-management during the Davie Rae era that saw a ridiculously high turnover of average players on allegedly high wages, for little gain. Of course there was a fair number of gems in amongst the dross, and we got a Scottish Cup Final out of it, but the clear lack of a long term business plan was hugely depressing, and a far cry from the excellent work being done by the current board.

I'm sure I could think of plenty more if I put my mind to it, but those are the ones that initially spring to mind. The Challenge Cup in 1997 was a sore one at the time, it was my first real disappointment as a fan, and at 10 years old it felt like the world had ended. Looking back now though it was a high point of a fairly crap era.

If we had played out the second half in the same tame manner as the first half in the cup final against Rangers then that would have to rank as a huge disappointment. We clearly struggled after our extended break between games, but the way we had them on the ropes second half left me with nothing but pride. There is obviously a slight feeling of "what if", but that was a really good (illegally put together) Rangers side, so there was no shame in the outcome.

Losing to Gretna was never fun, but I tried to play down our rivalry because I knew they were always going to be a flash in the pan, also it's impossible to have a proper rivalry when one of the clubs has no history. The pain of the defeats is more than cancelled out by the 3-0 victory at Raydale that sparked the beginning of the end with Alan Main and "Supa Ro" allegedly coming to blows afterwards. How I wish I had been there that day.

That drive home from Stranraer after the New Year derby defeat was certainly a low point. The subsequent recovery though, and overhauling of a 12 point deficit, was absolutely brilliant, and perhaps favourable to a monotonous mid-table finish.

The whole Macpherson season was as grim as it gets football-wise. Dreadful direction-less football. I was resigned to relegation by about September so there was no real disappoint when it officially happened. The season even ended on a high when it was announced that Macpherson was leaving, when it looked like he was going to hang around. Replacing him with Johnston immediately appeared to be a good decision, and that backwards step was very much the catalyst for the excellent achievements of the last few years.

I too have lived through an extraordinarily successful period for the club, so my disappointments will be nothing like the scale of the likes of JR and MT who have stood amongst a 300 strong crowd watching yet another Queens capitulation.

Notable ones for me though are -

• Being humped by a Dundee United side who had been destroyed 7-1 by Rangers the midweek prior to our game. We weren't a particularly great side at the time, but it felt like a genuine opportunity to actually beat a Premier League team, something that is still pretty rare for us. We completely froze on the day, giving them far too much respect, when a more dominant display may have shown up a side whose confidence was obviously low.
  • Turning up to what will likely be our only ever games in European competition to find our greatest ever player has been dropped in favour of Stewart Kean. Simply unforgivable from the clown.
  • The Challenge Cup Final against Ross County was bitterly disappointing. It was a gloriously sunny day, the pre-match atmosphere in Perth was brilliant, we then gifted a goal within the first couple of minutes and never looked like recovering. Talk about a damp squib.
  • Losing to Brechin in the cup when a victory would have seen us facing Buckie Thistle in the Quarters, which would have represented a great opportunity to return to Hampden. Again we just failed to show up when it mattered. Colin McMenamin scored one of the best goals I've seen live that night, but it was too little too late.
  • The terrible mis-management during the Davie Rae era that saw a ridiculously high turnover of average players on allegedly high wages, for little gain. Of course there was a fair number of gems in amongst the dross, and we got a Scottish Cup Final out of it, but the clear lack of a long term business plan was hugely depressing, and a far cry from the excellent work being done by the current board.

I'm sure I could think of plenty more if I put my mind to it, but those are the ones that initially spring to mind. The Challenge Cup in 1997 was a sore one at the time, it was my first real disappointment as a fan, and at 10 years old it felt like the world had ended. Looking back now though it was a high point of a fairly crap era.

If we had played out the second half in the same tame manner as the first half in the cup final against Rangers then that would have to rank as a huge disappointment. We clearly struggled after our extended break between games, but the way we had them on the ropes second half left me with nothing but pride. There is obviously a slight feeling of "what if", but that was a really good (illegally put together) Rangers side, so there was no shame in the outcome.

Losing to Gretna was never fun, but I tried to play down our rivalry because I knew they were always going to be a flash in the pan, also it's impossible to have a proper rivalry when one of the clubs has no history. The pain of the defeats is more than cancelled out by the 3-0 victory at Raydale that sparked the beginning of the end with Alan Main and "Supa Ro" allegedly coming to blows afterwards. How I wish I had been there that day.

That drive home from Stranraer after the New Year derby defeat was certainly a low point. The subsequent recovery though, and overhauling of a 12 point deficit, was absolutely brilliant, and perhaps favourable to a monotonous mid-table finish.

The whole Macpherson season was as grim as it gets football-wise. Dreadful direction-less football. I was resigned to relegation by about September so there was no real disappoint when it officially happened. The season even ended on a high when it was announced that Macpherson was leaving, when it looked like he was going to hang around. Replacing him with Johnston immediately appeared to be a good decision, and that backwards step was very much the catalyst for the excellent achievements of the last few years.

Good post.

I`ve sadly been in the 300 crowds watching the capitulations at a very low level.

I still remind my mate of his half-time pronouncement of "isn`t it great when you have a manager who knows what he is doing" at Livi early in the Macphesron tenure. :lol:

Ignoring the Alloa game from the end of this season (still too annoyed to talk about it :lol:) there has been a few disappointments.

My 21st birthday we were playing Dunfermline for the first time in over a decade on league business. We take an early lead through John Dempster and the massive travelling support goes wild. Never seen celebrations like it. Half time whistle goes and it's 1-0 to the Blue Brazil.

Second half and for some reason the Cowden side who were playing well first half suddenly are sitting back and trying to grind out a win. BANG BANG it's 2-1 to Dunfermline and what had started off as being a fantastic day ended with me in a pub in Dunfermline getting the pish ripped out me for how shite we played second half.

Losing 8-0 to Gretna. Now this was surpassed this season but I wasn't at the Hearts game so this one is worse. 6-0 down at half time and Mark Birch (right back) had scored a hat trick. An awful game.

Colin Hardie. Stranraer away. Possibly 10 fans on the supporters club bus including myself for the long trek. Nothing is really happening in the game until a low cross into our box is turned into the net by our captain Innes Ritchie under pressure from a Stranraer striker. Thankfully the linesman has his flag up - the person challenging Innes was offside.

For some reason though Hardie decides to overrule the linesman and award the goal. 4 hours on a bus for us to lose because of that w**ker. It wasn't an important game or anything but I will never forget that bus journey home.

And last but not least - Brian Welsh. :thumbsdown

31st October 2012 then just list everything since then.

We'll wait

Home draws with Elgin, Montrose and Stirling.

Defeats to Annan and Peterhead.

McCoists signings.

McCoists training.

McCoist as a manager.

Getting humped off Dundee United twice.

0-3 Defeat to ICT at home.

The Challenge cup campaigns.

The Challenge cup final.

Home draws with Stranraer and Stenhousemuir.

Losing to Forfar in the league cup.

Signing every ex-ranger still active.

Failing to hold Hearts to a draw for longer than a minute.

Only beating Alloa once.

Losing a two goal lead to Alloa.

Losing to an amateur US team in pre-season

Needing a replay to beat Albion Rovers

Drawing with Brora Rangers in pre-season

Losing 1-3, 4-0 and 0-2 to Hibs.

5 draws in a row.

Failing to hold a 2-0 lead with 10 mins left at Tyncastle.

Losing at home to Motherwell

Losing away to Motherwell

Losing 6-1 on aggregate to Motherwell

Finishing 3rd

Failing to win promotion.

Not all in order and there is probably more.

My top four in reverse order

Hibs 4 Falkirk 3 SC Semi 2013 - three up after 30 minutes and we blew it.

Kilmarnock 1 Falkirk 0 SC Final 1997 - first final of my life and we didn't turn up

Hearts 3 Falkirk 1 SC Semi Final 1998 - battered Hearts all day and they stole the game at the end.

ICT 2 Falkirk 1 SC Final 2015

Saturday was the worst probably by a long way. My worst experience in a football ground. To have it in our hands with ICT out on their feet with a man down, with us still looking very fit, creating chances and another 30 minutes remaining on the horizon to throw it away with two mistakes in 10 seconds will be impossible ever to forget.

Home draws with Elgin, Montrose and Stirling.

Defeats to Annan and Peterhead.

McCoists signings.

McCoists training.

McCoist as a manager.

Getting humped off Dundee United twice.

0-3 Defeat to ICT at home.

The Challenge cup campaigns.

The Challenge cup final.

Home draws with Stranraer and Stenhousemuir.

Losing to Forfar in the league cup.

Signing every ex-ranger still active.

Failing to hold Hearts to a draw for longer than a minute.

Only beating Alloa once.

Losing a two goal lead to Alloa.

Losing to an amateur US team in pre-season

Needing a replay to beat Albion Rovers

Drawing with Brora Rangers in pre-season

Losing 1-3, 4-0 and 0-2 to Hibs.

5 draws in a row.

Failing to hold a 2-0 lead with 10 mins left at Tyncastle.

Losing at home to Motherwell

Losing away to Motherwell

Losing 6-1 on aggregate to Motherwell

Finishing 3rd

Failing to win promotion.

Not all in order and there is probably more.

I guess as a new club you hardly have a rich history to call up on.

That'll do though.

Good post.

I`ve sadly been in the 300 crowds watching the capitulations at a very low level.

Yes, but although it was pretty dispiriting doing that, few of the games stand out as massive disappointments, probably because disappointment requires some hope in the first place and works less well from a stance of resignation.

I don't think I've got much that's original to add really.

The home hammering to McCall's struggling Dundee United was sore, but I'll nominate an earlier defeat to them in the League Cup.

It was the last day of the 1986 summer holidays. Kevin Gallagher put a United side ahead that had provided about six players for Scotland's World Cup squad and would reach that season's UEFA Cup final, eliminating Barcelona en route.

We'd by then had a perfectly good goal disallowed for simply no reason. In the last minute, we got the penalty our performance deserved, but George Cloy missed it.

That was disappointing.

Archived