greatest disappointment following your team

Got to take issue with Yoss, McGlynn could have picked Davie McGurn that day. I was a wee bit disappointed when Bob Paxton relegated us before the 93/94 season started, I was slightly downbeat when Rougier failed to put us two up in Munich! I was gutted when a selection of nonentities served up pish under Anelka. 96/97 season, hmmmm, but the one that really sticks out is when we sold Big Marv, Burns and Tosh to Livi for 25 pence. Still bewildered by that, still have occasional flashbacks

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of our bad seasons deliver some form of comedy/farce value rather than 'disappointment' - the worst in terms of results, 2013/4, just became a weekly bloopers reel after October, when we were clearly going down. Plus there was the warm glow of hounding the beggars at Celtic Park to bask in.

Conspiring to lose from a 1-0 lead against an absolutely abysmal Spartans side in the Cup this season probably fits the bill. Had it been one of the previous, capable Spartans sides then it would go down as a bad result, but a potential banana skin - they were rancid throughout their league campaign, on the day and were then papped out by Berwick in the next round to no great surprise. Slaphead Duffy's complete inaction on the touchline when every fan in the ground was berating him to make at least one substitute and tactical changes to regain control of the tie was infuriating, and he'll never be fit to manage the club on the basis of that match.

When we lost the league to Berwick on the second last day in 2007

Also not going up from the 2nd the year Cowden did, we went into the playoffs after finishing 2nd and got put out in the semi by Dumbarton, who were beat in the final but still went up because rangers died, they've both had successful years in the 1st because of that happening whilst we have went downhill, annoying

I'm pretty sure you're wrong, Dumbarton won the final.

on topic, losing the 76 semi final - thanks Walter Smith (and Jimmy Cook)

I'm pretty sure you're wrong, Dumbarton won the final.

Aye you're right, they beat Airdrie, who then stayed up the season after, still annoying though, and definitely a massive disappointment. If we had got to the final we would've been promoted. We pummelled them in the second leg and couldn't get a break through

post-14721-14330306172244_thumb.jpg

post-14721-14330306277106_thumb.jpg

Today. We should have won that game and I find my self weirdly empathetic towards that Jacqueline roaster that was interviewed after Caley dumped Celtic out.

Aye. They Caley fans were pure pulling the Falkirk players down nowhere near the box. If only the ref had seen them.

Losing a national cup final to 9 man Rangers (1872-2012) is top of the list. Nothing comes close. I'm too young to have been at the Hammarby capitulation but there is no way was that worse than the 2010 final.

Agonising, even if we did put it to bed a few years later.

I think my earliest one was losing th semi final to Airdrie, fucking Airdrie! I hadn't even heard of them.

Losing to Falkirk at brockville in Rousset's first game to put us bottom.

6-2 game :(

Only winning the championship by twenty points!

When we lost the league to Berwick on the second last day in 2007

Also not going up from the 2nd the year Cowden did, we went into the playoffs after finishing 2nd and got put out in the semi by Dumbarton, who were beat in the final but still went up because rangers died, they've both had successful years in the 1st because of that happening whilst we have went downhill, annoying

Aye you're right, they beat Airdrie, who then stayed up the season after, still annoying though, and definitely a massive disappointment. If we had got to the final we would've been promoted. We pummelled them in the second leg and couldn't get a break through

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1433030614.835431.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1433030624.419883.jpg

Aye, that game was the best goalkeeping performance I've ever seen live. Arbroath were one of the top scorers in the league iirc with players like Doris, Swankie, Sheerin etc and they couldn't get past Grindlay.

The strange thing was after comprehensively pumping Airdrie 6-2 over the two legs we then played them on the opening day at the Excelsior and lost 4-1 :lol: They obviously capitulated as Ian Murray worked his magic, Dunfermline went a little bit bust which helped us as well and we managed to stay up, despite only winning one game between August and December 27th :lol:

544678_201484726639668_465066301_n.jpg?o

That was a glorious, nerve shredding day that!

Losing 2-0 to Morton in the second last match of 94/95 which clinched the title at our expense.

That's my 2 I'm struggling to choose from, but purely on the fact that I was only 10 at the '76 game, coming out of Cappielow is the worst I ever remember feeling coming out of a football ground.

James Gradys goal. There will never be another footballing moment as heartbreaking as that for me

The first time I broke down in tears at full time. Mind muttering to myself "it's not fair" as I walked back to the car with my dad trying to console me.

Terry Butcher relegating us is definitely the top of the pile for me. Although as already pointed out there are several different disappointments to choose from relegation will always be the worst, especially as we only needed like one win from March till the end of the season and we couldn't do it. He's a massive c**t of a guy. Along with his w**k of a pal Malpas and the fat goalie coach/scout.

Pat Fenlon did built a shite team but he'd never have taken them down IMO. James Collins (we paid for him :lol: ). Ryan Mcgivern. Michael Nelson. Rowan Vine. Fraser Mullen. Owain Tudur Jones. Just utter shite. Then good old Terry arrived and brought in Danny Haynes and Daniel Boateng (no idea how this guy was at Arsenal). Duncan Watmore wasn't too bad but he got kicked up and down the pitch and looked broken after a couple of games.

"Sometimes maybe it's a good thing if you lose an early goal because it takes away the threat of conceding because you have conceded - and then we lose a second goal."

Fucking genius Terry. Fucking genius.

Aye, that game was the best goalkeeping performance I've ever seen live. Arbroath were one of the top scorers in the league iirc with players like Doris, Swankie, Sheerin etc and they couldn't get past Grindlay.

The strange thing was after comprehensively pumping Airdrie 6-2 over the two legs we then played them on the opening day at the Excelsior and lost 4-1 :lol: They obviously capitulated as Ian Murray worked his magic, Dunfermline went a little bit bust which helped us as well and we managed to stay up, despite only winning one game between August and December 27th :lol:

Yup

The last few years must have been incredible for you guys, I'm so jealous :(

Losing at home to ICT in the penultimate game of the 2003/04 season, taking promotion out of our hands. I was sick for days. Brechin away the following week was fantastic though, even if we didn't go up. Easily 700+ Clyde fans that day, and thinking we were going up for at least 15 minutes was a feeling I'll never forget.

Losing the Challenge Cup final in 2006 was a gutter too.

Probably the timing of when I started to support Ayr.

Things were really good from the off winning a league, regular dismantling of most outside the old firm. First ever cup final. Then real Ayr came back. I didn't really understand that's more like how it really is for us for a while.

Grindlay really was unbeleivable that day. He clawed one header back off the line and I still don't know how he got to it.

In my relatively short time following the Sons there hasn't really been massive disappointments, losing away at Alloa the season we went down from the 2nd Divison which pretty much sealed our fate was disappointing. That was a chance to stay up and we were so so poor. Since 2008 though, it's been an absolute joy following the Sons. Long may that continue.

Probably losing to Peterhead in the play offs a few years back

But the double whammy of getting beat by St. Mirren after being in the lead when we were in the 3rd division then going to the pub to see Scotland draw with the Faroes is close.

Or signing Nacho Novo. What a reptile

Archived