Endemic Corruption

I've long despised politicians and this is an example why. Please leave aside party allegiances and concentrate on the inherent corruptness involved because that is my concern, not the parties involved.

The Scottish Government spent £10 million on the Ryder Cup at Gleneagles last year and, as a consequence, received 7080 tickets as the host nation, costing between £145 for an ordinary ticket and £2,000 for the hospitality packages. At the time it was promised by Alex Salmond that, "These tickets will go to those who truly deserve them".

Here are some of the people who "truly deserved them",

Bankers and financiers such as Aberdeen Asset Management CEO, Martin Gilbert, Royal Bank of Scotland CEO, Ross McEwan, and Lloyds TSB managing director Susan Rice. Walkers shortbread millionaire Jim Walker, T in the Park promoter and osprey botherer, Geoff Ellis, Tory business minister Anna Soubry, Lib Dem leader Willie Rennie and former Glasgow Provost Liz Cameron, Yes campaign Chairman, Dennis Canavan, directors Blair Jenkins and Scot Martin and head of communications Kevin Pringle. Melfort Campbell from Scottish Enterprise, Edinburgh Oil & Gas CEO, Alf Bisset, hotel tycoon Rocco Forte, First Group chairman Moir Lockhart, Lord Smith of Kelvin and Baroness Adams of Craigielea, and Mistubishi chairman Masafumi Wani.

Granted, 300 went to ex-servicemen, but all of the above could have afforded to buy their own tickets many times over. I think the freebies for bankers are probably the biggest insult to taxpayers but none of it really surprises me. Different events and different parties, but the same old cronyism.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mention a handful of businessmen and then the 300 that went to ex-servicemen.

Where did the other 6500 + go?

You mention a handful of businessmen and then the 300 that went to ex-servicemen.

Where did the other 6500 + go?

"The Scottish Government ensured that approximately 75 per cent of the total ticket allocation (over 5,250 tickets used across the week) was allocated to a combination of worthy causes and/or through public facing initiatives.

“Of the 7,080 tickets used across the week, only a very small amount, 127 day tickets on the Tuesday and Wednesday practice days, were unused.

“Of the 4,970 names published on the Scottish Government website as recipients of Ryder Cup tickets, some guests were invited to attend on more than one day, which means some individuals received more than one ticket and accounting for the difference between the names published and the total amount of tickets used.”

Non-story, as ever.

I've long despised politicians and this is an example why. Please leave aside party allegiances and concentrate on the inherent corruptness involved because that is my concern, not the parties involved.

The Scottish Government spent £10 million on the Ryder Cup at Gleneagles last year and, as a consequence, received 7080 tickets as the host nation, costing between £145 for an ordinary ticket and £2,000 for the hospitality packages. At the time it was promised by Alex Salmond that, "These tickets will go to those who truly deserve them".

Here are some of the people who "truly deserved them",

Bankers and financiers such as Aberdeen Asset Management CEO, Martin Gilbert, Royal Bank of Scotland CEO, Ross McEwan, and Lloyds TSB managing director Susan Rice. Walkers shortbread millionaire Jim Walker, T in the Park promoter and osprey botherer, Geoff Ellis, Tory business minister Anna Soubry, Lib Dem leader Willie Rennie and former Glasgow Provost Liz Cameron, Yes campaign Chairman, Dennis Canavan, directors Blair Jenkins and Scot Martin and head of communications Kevin Pringle. Melfort Campbell from Scottish Enterprise, Edinburgh Oil & Gas CEO, Alf Bisset, hotel tycoon Rocco Forte, First Group chairman Moir Lockhart, Lord Smith of Kelvin and Baroness Adams of Craigielea, and Mistubishi chairman Masafumi Wani.

Granted, 300 went to ex-servicemen, but all of the above could have afforded to buy their own tickets many times over. I think the freebies for bankers are probably the biggest insult to taxpayers but none of it really surprises me. Different events and different parties, but the same old cronyism.

Full scale investigation needed IMO. How does that no-mark get one?

"The Scottish Government ensured that approximately 75 per cent of the total ticket allocation (over 5,250 tickets used across the week) was allocated to a combination of worthy causes and/or through public facing initiatives.

“Of the 7,080 tickets used across the week, only a very small amount, 127 day tickets on the Tuesday and Wednesday practice days, were unused.

“Of the 4,970 names published on the Scottish Government website as recipients of Ryder Cup tickets, some guests were invited to attend on more than one day, which means some individuals received more than one ticket and accounting for the difference between the names published and the total amount of tickets used.”

Non-story, as ever.

So, pandering to corrupt bankers and handing them freebies for hospitality is a non-story? Your figures mean that nearly 2,000 didn't go to "worthy causes".

I'm glad that sits well with you.

So, pandering to corrupt bankers and handing them freebies for hospitality is a non-story? Your figures mean that nearly 2,000 didn't go to "worthy causes".

I'm glad that sits well with you.

I am not for a minute defending either the purchase or distribution of tickets for this event. What I will say is at least you have access to the names of the people that were provided with tickets and it wasn't kept secret. Any chance that you could get a similar list for who Glasgow Council gave tickets to the CG for or Westminster for the Olympics?

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2011/nov/07/london-2012-government-spends-tickets

You're never going to get all the available tickets going to those who "deserve" them at a major, corporate-backed, sporting event. Sounds like a pretty high percentage did though, in this case. So well done to those responsible.

You're never going to get all the available tickets going to those who "deserve" them at a major, corporate-backed, sporting event.

So we have to accept that? In this case roughly 25% didn't.

I am not for a minute defending either the purchase or distribution of tickets for this event. What I will say is at least you have access to the names of the people that were provided with tickets and it wasn't kept secret. Any chance that you could get a similar list for who Glasgow Council gave tickets to the CG for or Westminster for the Olympics?

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2011/nov/07/london-2012-government-spends-tickets

FOI perhaps? As stated in my original post, this sort of thing is endemic.

Your figures mean you can't count.

So, 1,830 isn't, "nearly 2,000"?

Okay chum.

Given that RBS were the official banking supplier for the event, it would seem a bit weird that the CEO of RBS would require a freebie from the Scottish Government, as his firm would have had many to give away anyway. I also imagine the CEO would have had first dibs on his companies pool of tickets

I can live with sponsors getting their filthy mitts on things, just, although it all depends how many.

A good example of when I don't would be the comparatively small numbers released to football fans for big games while sponsors and their pals hog a disproportionate amount of the action.

"Endemic corruption" is quite the claim: I hope Mr Salmond's lawyers or other legal representatives of the SG will be interested in your explanation of the 'corruption' involved: did they bribe the Scottish Government for free tickets? If not, in what way does your non-story demonstrate "endemic corruption"?

You should have just said"i made an arse of myself"

Except for the fact that I will continue to se this sort of behaviour as being corrupt, irrespective of which party is responsible, and they are all as bad as each other, hence my reason for terming it endemic corruption.

Except for the fact that I will continue to se this sort of behaviour as being corrupt, irrespective of which party is responsible, and they are all as bad as each other, hence my reason for terming it endemic corruption.

Utter horseshit,but carry on your seethe for the only show in town 8)

Archived