The mad competitive West Super Division One thread 2015-2016

glensmad

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a difficult one, as you have to give an incentive to the two District leagues, one up from each league would be unfair in my opinion, and would make for lots of meaningless matches in the District Leagues. I think the balance is just about right, to be honest, every game in this league has a meaning for one team or the other (and usually both), there is very rarely nothing to play for.

No one at Kilsyth feels we are already safe. Still lots of twists & turns to come.

Personally, I think 4 teams getting relegated is too many for the size of the league.

I can't think of another league anywhere in which four teams automatically go down. What complicates matters is the fact that two teams from two different regions are promoted, but without the guarantee that there will also be two teams being from the same regions relegated to keep the numbers the same in the lower divisions. If we are to have four teams facing relegation then at the very least 3rd and 4th bottom should have the chance of a play-off with the second placed teams in the lower divisions. But this could still lead to unbalanced numbers in both the upper and lower leagues. The whole thing is a mess and has been since it was introduced. One way round this scenario would be to have periodic re-shuffling of some of the teams on the borders of the regions but it would be just as complicated and divisife. Can you imagine Girvan being told to play in the Central district league just to keep numbers even?

I personally don't think it needs changing, as it gives the league an edge right to the end of the season. You're either chasing promotion or fighting relegation, and on some occasions in previous years teams have been doing both at the same time !

Saturday's fixtures :-

Blantyre Victoria (10th) v Greenock Juniors (5th)

Cumbernauld United (8th) v Largs Thistle (1st)

Kilwinning Rangers (4th) v Ardrossan Winton Rovers (12th)

Rutherglen Glencairn (9th) v Maybole Juniors (13th)

Shotts Bon Accord (7th) v Yoker Athletic (11th)

Your thoughts ?

Saturday's fixtures :-

Blantyre Victoria (10th) v Greenock Juniors (5th)

Cumbernauld United (8th) v Largs Thistle (1st)

Kilwinning Rangers (4th) v Ardrossan Winton Rovers (12th)

Rutherglen Glencairn (9th) v Maybole Juniors (13th)

Shotts Bon Accord (7th) v Yoker Athletic (11th)

Your thoughts ?

How have Shotts managed to be in 7th position?

Today of all days Gerry chose to be ill and unable to film the match, the very day we could really do with a video replay.

Maybole's goal today was simply a gift from the assistant referee, an unbelievably diabolical decision. Our goalkeeper JC Hutchison held the ball above his head and took a step back, but held the ball well in front of the line. Unbelievably, because Hutchison's heels were behind the line, the linesman flagged for a goal. Maybole couldn't believe their luck and everybody in the ground was gobsmacked.

We equalised quickly, but we couldn't find a winner, and another two points slip away.

We had another incident where a Maybole player blocked a Glencairn free kick from half a yard away, and the referee waved play on, prompting Maybole to break quickly and threateningly on our defence.

Baffling stuff.

Great result for us today with largs getting beat.

Kilwinning right in the title mix now as well.

Clydebank won't win this league unless they start to take some of the very many chances they made today. It isn't all down to bad luck although they did hit the post and have a few other near things. Far too much wild shooting, a cool head up front and you could easily have had three or four goals. Having said that we defended very well and Prior had a few good saves despite getting dogs abuse from the Bankies fans. They really are a pretty obnoxious bunch 'en masse' although I did have a very civilised conversation with one individual.

Ardrossan in freefall, not had a victory since January, where will it end - ADL next season ?, is there still time to avoid the drop.

New manager whoever he is has a big job to do, clear out some of the deadwood that are putting a strip on and taking a wage, and bring belief back to a group of players who have had the confidence in them drained out by the events of the last few months.

There are several good players at Winton and I am sure they will want to finish strong and avoid relegation. Hopefully new manager will be in place early and hit the ground running

Archived