New Preston manager

HI HAT

Totally underwhelmed by the news that Preston have ,by the reaction of the knowledgable football fans on p+b, got themselves the cheap option by signing a complete unknown or known dud. Teams will obviously be quaking going to the Pennypit this year, again. Not looking good for the Pans team even this early in the campaign.

Hi Hat

Morning,

surely not, not far of the mark sir, 3 large single malts over the neck between my first post and 5 hrs later when my second post went on. It was more of a disbelief that 5 hrs after asking the question, no one had replied, usually the the good burghers of P+B have thrown in the very best information you could hope to get. Striker turned keeper, you are right, the lad did well but is it feasible for a Lowland league team to survive depending on loan under 20 players. Thanks for the gen on Colin Jack, hope he comes in and surprises everyone in the league,me included.

Difficult time for any coach to come in at the end of a season. Rebuilding is never easy and Colin won't have seen last seasons squad, so won't have a full understanding of who to re-sign or let go. U17s & U20s loans throughout a season is unsustainable, however short term may help the club until Colin gets a grasp of the quality required at lowland league level.

Chris Flockhart is not a bad first signing - never going to set the world on fire but safe pair of hands with good EOS/Senior experience.

Feel a bit sorry for him to be honest, don't know if he is fully aware of the state of the club. Heard the budget has been slashed and going to have to focus on mostly youth players. Furthermore Preston had signed several players of last year squad however I believe out of the 7 signed only 2 will actually remain, the other 5 are not going to honour the contracts they have signed and are actively speaking with other clubs.

Could be another long and painful season.

Chris Flockhart is not a bad first signing - never going to set the world on fire but safe pair of hands with good EOS/Senior experience.

Feel a bit sorry for him to be honest, don't know if he is fully aware of the state of the club. Heard the budget has been slashed and going to have to focus on mostly youth players. Furthermore Preston had signed several players of last year squad however I believe out of the 7 signed only 2 will actually remain, the other 5 are not going to honour the contracts they have signed and are actively speaking with other clubs.

Could be another long and painful season.

You can't not honour a contract unless the club itself fails to live up to its part- essentially failing to pay appropriately. Just because they don't match expectations or promises in terms of quality of squad, a player can't declare their contract null and void.

I've always rated Flocks- good keeper so he may save them from a few spankings next season. They've tweeted that George Thomson is the new u20s coach. I don't know if it's the ex-City player who was a good striker in his day, albeit a bit fiery...

I've always rated Flocks- good keeper so he may save them from a few spankings next season. They've tweeted that George Thomson is the new u20s coach.

I've always rated Flocks- good keeper so he may save them from a few spankings next season. They've tweeted that George Thomson is the new u20s coach. I don't know if it's the ex-City player who was a good striker in his day, albeit a bit fiery...

That's the very one Tam!

I'm sure he was a target for Preston when one ex manager was there.

You not recognise him from the photo on the Twitter feed tam?

Incidentally nice to see that the preston Twitter feed has finally been updated.

it's been a few years since George played for City and my memory ain't what it used to be....

I can always remember those kind words he said to me after a game one day:

"f*ck off you fat c*nt"

which was actually fair comment!

some used to call him Fat George, Grumpy One... although not to his face! :lol:

Indeed Tam but no one could take away the fact he was a good player, in fact he was so good he became a Grumpy target at one time but refused the offer..........................Laidlaw on the other hand accepted and scored " hunners" of goals in a few games, and injuries then put a stop to that.

Lets hope that their joint pedigree will ensure the best for the youngsters under their charge..........................the difficulty is that apparently these days playing pedigree means nothing unless you are an SFA licensed coach.

#notgood

Indeed Tam but no one could take away the fact he was a good player, in fact he was so good he became a Grumpy target at one time but refused the offer..........................Laidlaw on the other hand accepted and scored " hunners" of goals in a few games, and injuries then put a stop to that.

Lets hope that their joint pedigree will ensure the best for the youngsters under their charge..........................the difficulty is that apparently these days playing pedigree means nothing unless you are an SFA licensed coach.

#notgood

Don't necessarily agree that you have to have the sfa licences to be a good coach but playing pedigree isn't enough any more- and the problem is that a lot of folk still think it is.

Coaching and managing are a million miles from actually playing- hence the reason that there are actually so few successes when you consider the numbers that have played the game. How many of the top eos players of twenty, 15 or ten years ago have become successful managers? And they won't have been limited by the licence restrictions when they stopped playing.

The list would go: Dougie Samuel, skin mcginley, nae body.

you are spot on surely not

having a great playing career does not guarantee you being a good coach, most good players get frustrated when the guys they coach cant do things they feel the players should be doing

also having a high end license does not guarantee being a good coach as well, man management is a big thing in football you could have a pro-license, A-license and still not no how to treat players , you are on a loser there

the best coaches are the ones that can mix both together.

good luck to the preston lads.

Don't necessarily agree that you have to have the sfa licences to be a good coach but playing pedigree isn't enough any more- and the problem is that a lot of folk still think it is.

Coaching and managing are a million miles from actually playing- hence the reason that there are actually so few successes when you consider the numbers that have played the game. How many of the top eos players of twenty, 15 or ten years ago have become successful managers? And they won't have been limited by the licence restrictions when they stopped playing.

The list would go: Dougie Samuel, skin mcginley, nae body.

the former top EOS player who got a couple of Scotland Non-League caps called Ross MacNamara hasn't been doing too badly of late albeit as an assistant manager..but I believe the big bawbag has got his coaching badges!

Archived