Cunninghame North - 2007

HomelandsOur

The SNP won Cunninghame North by just 46 votes in 2007, which in effect allowed them to govern. If this didn't happen Labour would have controlled Holyrood until 2011, therefore as the SNP would not have proved that they are competent in government any victory then would be a minority one. That means no referendum, and therefore no informed electorate for this year's GE.

Is it Cunninghame North that propelled Scotland towards independence?

The SNP won Cunninghame North by just 46 votes in 2007, which in effect allowed them to govern. If this didn't happen Labour would have controlled Holyrood until 2011, therefore as the SNP would not have proved that they are competent in government any victory then would be a minority one. That means no referendum, and therefore no informed electorate for this year's GE.

Is it Cunninghame North that propelled Scotland towards independence?

I previously wrote a piece on this. Fully agree. This was Huge.

I think it was what set the tide turning against labour in the area, Yet in 2010 Katy clark had a 10k majority over patricia in westminster, go a year later and the big swing started with kenneth taking a 6k majority over labour. Then 2 weeks ago a massive result as we all know. I reckon with the population of the area not taking liars seriously and not suffering fools it has played a massive part in the snp swing

at one time put a labour rosette on a goldfish and it would get votes, not any more

The bit about North Ayrshire / Cunninghame North labour goldfish is true, even this year I still thought Katy Clark would hold her seat, it's nice the people around here finally seen labour for what they are and not what they once were!

The referendum was a close call in North Ayrshire - the three towns and Irvine, bigger population parts were yes but Largs, Kilbirnie, Dalry were no (in the first and third cases quite solidly). I was in Largs the Saturday before the vote, both yes and no were out in force but I noticed rather more No Thanks badges being worn (within the inevitable older age group in particular).

What made me sure of an SNP win in North Ayrshire - was back for two matches prior to the election, SNP again manned their stalls and volunteers well - Katy Clark came to town with helpers, handing out Labour balloons to kids - but the group and MP were gone in about half an hour. Reports I heard of them struggling badly in Ardrossan too.

I do like Katy and feel she was the right person to be Labour Deputy Leader (though can't stand the local Labour councillors and teams, especially Cooncilloor G in Largs) - as with Cunninghame these years past feel her loss with in emblematic of the shift.

I led the street work in saltcoats for snp and by the last couple of weeks you could see labour heads were down. We had the numbers out and it was almost a party atmosphere on the streets. Labour didn't even turn out on the bank holiday Monday before the election. Had a feeling that we would win but never thought we would have a 13k majority

The referendum was a close call in North Ayrshire - the three towns and Irvine, bigger population parts were yes but Largs, Kilbirnie, Dalry were no (in the first and third cases quite solidly). I was in Largs the Saturday before the vote, both yes and no were out in force but I noticed rather more No Thanks badges being worn (within the inevitable older age group in particular).

What made me sure of an SNP win in North Ayrshire - was back for two matches prior to the election, SNP again manned their stalls and volunteers well - Katy Clark came to town with helpers, handing out Labour balloons to kids - but the group and MP were gone in about half an hour. Reports I heard of them struggling badly in Ardrossan too.

I do like Katy and feel she was the right person to be Labour Deputy Leader (though can't stand the local Labour councillors and teams, especially Cooncilloor G in Largs) - as with Cunninghame these years past feel her loss with in emblematic of the shift.

Some very interesting points especially about the electorate in Largs and Dalry, I'd imagine two towns voting no for incredibly different reasons

Does that include Kev the Dee?

;)

Is allowed a chance to redeem himself and come over from the dark side

Quislings, traitors and imbeciles will obviously be stripped of their Dundonian status and shot in the street like the dogs they are.

This is what happens when they don't take that chance

I think Glasgow should get an honourable mention here

It is indeed a tough one for me and I'm torn here , but the only rational conclusion you have to come to is it's just not Dundee.

Dundee > Everywhere else

Was there ever a breakdown of how town voted yes or no.

A but like Santa's naughty and nice list

The only one that I know of is North Ayrshire, as they very kindly broke down the vote by wards. I assume the rest went by samples from the counts.

Hence we know for sure that Irvine - Good Guys, Saltcoats - Mega Good Guys, Kilwinning - Almost Good Guys, Largs and Dalry - Uber Wanks

Can't find it now. It looks as though it has been removed from their website

Archived