A restructured 12 team league

The league structure is not the problem. It is the cost of watching games that is the turn off. In Germany which.has a far higher level of football it.is.much.cheaper to watch.games.reduce prices and they will.come. also get rid of the clowns at the top.of the sfa and Bring in somebody competent.

This

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst the folk at the SPFL such as Doncaster are far from ideal, we need to remember that member clubs vote on all matters. Doncaster/Regan can't just wake up one day and change things such as league structure, the clubs need to do that. If you want change, lobby your club until they do something about it. Coincidently, one way of ridding ourselves of Doncaster would be to push your club to get rid of him, if all 42 clubs say they want rid then he'll go. None have done so to my knowledge. I wonder why that is.

In recent weeks we’ve heard suggestions to revert back to a 10 team top flight, which is still remembered for it’s repetition; or move to a 16 team setup which has attracted criticism for it’s lack of fixtures (only 30 games), it’s stagnation of competitiveness for mid-table sides, and the weakness of any second tier below it.

Keen to hear the thoughts of punters on the suggestion of a re-worked 12 team setup - http://scottishfootballrestructure.wordpress.com

now having read that, that would seem like a very interesting format and it would most definitely be exciting, something tells me that the bigot brothers would be against it if it meant competition from anybody else though. Ohwell until then... Fyrthhwtl HHGH, maybe see u again next season, hope not.

The league structure is not the problem. It is the cost of watching games that is the turn off. In Germany which.has a far higher level of football it.is.much.cheaper to watch.games.reduce prices and they will.come. also get rid of the clowns at the top.of the sfa and Bring in somebody competent.

The Germans can only do this as they have a stand alone TV deal worth hundreds of times ours and sponsors who pay to keep the grounds full.

Yes we could reduce the prices but you will have to reduce the players and club costs accordingly as it's been proved a 25% price cut dose not give you a 25% increase in crowds.

Six leagues of 7 teams, play each other home and away 3 times, 3 up and 3 down, always something to play for and it's great playing teams again and again, bottom team of the 7th league to have a penalty shoot out with the lowland and highland league winners at Hampden for league status, tell me that's not a good idea.

The Germans can only do this as they have a stand alone TV deal worth hundreds of times ours and sponsors who pay to keep the grounds full.

Yes we could reduce the prices but you will have to reduce the players and club costs accordingly as it's been proved a 25% price cut dose not give you a 25% increase in crowds.

It's also worth bearing in mind that while the cheap seats are very cheap indeed in the Bundesliga the best seats can be far more expensive.

You can stand at a run of the mill Dortmund game for about £11.50 but most people will be paying around £30 and the best seats for a big event game (like Schalke or Bayern) are about £45 around four times more than standing for a minor game.

They're not letting everyone in cheap

Hearts last season went as low as £17 and as high as £30 (almost double) but that range is particularly wide by Scottish standards

(apart from the fact the SPL team who is currently 7th has more points than 6th but is still below them, idiotic notion)

I don't get why this annoys people. The teams play different teams as the league is split into 2 sections. I think the split does work and makes it more interesting. Of course there are times when relegation is decided previously meaning it's not as good, but it's better than not having the split imo. The 6th v 7th points is irrelevant and I don't see why it even matters.

Schedule complete restructuring for once every five years to try out each of the formats suggested, and it'd stop the constant talk of restructuring* which undermines our game.

*no it wouldn't

14 teams, 26 games, a top 7 split and a further 6 games to take the total to 32 matches.

Okay, it's 4 less games than the current 36 game set up but it'll add much more excitement to the division. Having less games would also make a one month winter holiday more workable in December or January.

More teams will never happen anyway as the teams won't allow it. The leagues will only ever remain the way they are or get even smaller.

I quite liked the 12-12/8-8-8 idea that was voted down a couple of years ago, but the middle section of 8 didn't seem too fair with teams all starting on zero points. The middle section should've given initial points to teams based on their performance pre-split. E.g.

9th Premership - 7pts

1st Championship - 6pts

10th Premiership - 5pts

2nd Championship - 4pts

11th Premiership - 3pts

3rd Championship - 2pts

12th Premiership - 1pt

4th Championship - 0pts

That might deal with the 'meaningless games' pre-split argument since each position in Premiership or Championship would be worth a couple of points post-split, and it'd also mean that teams were rewarded for finishing 1st in Championship/punished for finishing last in Premiership, etc, so promoting promotion and relegation.

I didn't really get the argument that clubs couldn't sell season tickets based on this model (due to not knowing opposition for whole season in advance) since selling tickets for the post-split season aint that different from selling half-season tickets, which is/used to be commonplace. Blah, blah, yawn, zzzzzzzzzz.

The Scottish Premiership would be dull whether Sevco were in it or not. It will always be dull if there are only two teams competing. The only time it gets slightly interesting is when some of the other teams put in a rare challenge. Take Celtic (and Sevco) away and it would be far more interesting to the fans in Scotland.

The split would be better if they separated the league table. It looks stupid the way it is.

The game is over priced here for what we get. I am sure if it was cheaper more fans would come, but not if it is just a one off token gesture.

As for the pyramid system, it is highly unlikely that it will extend further than the current set-up. Only one junior team showed even the remotest interest in joining it.

The 12-12 and 8-8-8 model did look interesting, but agree that resetting the middle tier 8 points to zero and therefore disregarding the opening phase achievements seemed at odds to maintaining meaningful competition in the run up to any such split. A fair method of separating sides from different tiers can never be an exact science, but i've chucked something together here:

https://scottishfootballrestructure.wordpress.com/2015/05/23/the-12-12-and-8-8-8-model/

^^ Had a quick look at your method of rewarding the sides from the two tiers for their pre-split achievements....it does have a logic, but I think the issues at the time were that re-setting the points to zero not only did not reflect earlier performance, but also meant that it would likely be the same Premiership 4 who came through the middle section year after year - i.e. there would effectively be no promotion/relegation at all.

I think your method would only compound this as it seems to penalise clubs simply for being in the second tier, whereas what would be required to encourage movement of clubs between divisions is to reward finishing 1st, 2nd in Championship and penalise finishing 12th, 11th in Premiership to a greater extent.

The Scottish Premiership would be dull whether Sevco were in it or not. It will always be dull if there are only two teams competing. The only time it gets slightly interesting is when some of the other teams put in a rare challenge. Take Celtic (and Sevco) away and it would be far more interesting to the fans in Scotland.

Agree with that. The difference in resources kills any prospect of a non-OF title challenge, compounded by playing (and dropping points against) the strongest teams 4 times in a season. Then there's having three points for a win, which means the dropped points are greater for a non-OF team over a season when they can't match the win rate of the OF, when compared with two points for a win - although, admittedly, that system encourages playing for a draw.

It's marginal, and probably more of a psychological thing, but the gap was less to the OF before the change 20 years ago. A couple of examples that show how it may favour the OF would be when Hearts split the OF under 2 points for a win in 1987-88, but Rangers would have finished above them under the current 3 points for a win; and in 1982-83, Celtic would have finished on equal points at the top of the league under 3 points points for a win, but Dundee Utd won the league that season by a point under two points for a win.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived