Scotland squad - Qatar and Ireland

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will probably get a good run out against Qatar.

For that reason alone it's worth getting him back in the squad. He's clearly central to Strachan plans so he'll want to get him back in getting settled into the team again. Means that come the next round of games, he'll be match fit and he's had a run out with his teammates against Qatar. If he was a fringe player, there's an argument to be made about leaving him out here but when your first picks come back from injury, you generally get them back in as soon as possible

I know he's been injured, but who would you pick instead of him? He was unreal in the game at Parkhead last year.

He wasn't that great, his performance gets exaggerated each time it gets brought up.

Surprised Griffiths is in ahead of Rhodes.

Out right shocked Matt Phillips isn't in it.

Rhodes doesn't fit into the system that we play, whereas Griffiths might well do, and has been in good form.

Matt Phillips was never going to start in what is a very settled Scotland attacking trio and clearly Stracan feels that Forrest or Ritchie etc are better options to bring off the bench and change the game.

Other than that no real surprises, Bain looks like he could be number 1 for Scotland in a couple of years so I'm happy he's in to get a feel for being around the squad. Delighted Bannan is in again, hope he gets another cameo appearance against Ireland if we need a goal, as he's by far the most creative central midfielder we have IMO.

Rhodes doesn't fit into the system that we play, whereas Griffiths might well do, and has been in good form.

Matt Phillips was never going to start in what is a very settled Scotland attacking trio and clearly Stracan feels that Forrest or Ritchie etc are better options to bring off the bench and change the game.

Other than that no real surprises, Bain looks like he could be number 1 for Scotland in a couple of years so I'm happy he's in to get a feel for being around the squad. Delighted Bannan is in again, hope he gets another cameo appearance against Ireland if we need a goal, as he's by far the most creative central midfielder we have IMO.

Agree with all of this except the 'Rhodes doesn't fit' thing which is an out of date POV:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/jordan-rhodes-finally-worked-out-5388088

Griffiths deserves a shot though. Wish he, Rhodes or another could have a blinder of a game for us and bag a few goals to put proper pressure on Naismith and Fletcher, as our squad is very goals - light

Genuinely don't understand this obsession with Forrest, he's clearly never going to be good enough to start, and in a few years when he's floundering about at Huddersfield he'll never get picked anyway.

Phillip and Boyd not in squad is announced too?

Why would they be moaning about Scott Brown being in the squad?!?! Our team is noticeably worse without him.

Mental.

Struggling to understand why folk dislike Bannan so much. He has always done a job for Strachan in the bigger games. He's very tactically aware and can be relied on to diligently do what Strachan wants. It wouldn't be the biggest shock if he started wide right against Ireland.

Barry Bannan?, seriously?.

The guy is awful, how the hell he gets in the squad I never know.

Cant shoot, cant pass, weak in the tackle and thats his strong points.

I have yet to see a Scotland game when afterwards I thought to myself 'Bannan was awful'.. It hasn't happened yet, he always puts in a good performance when he comes on. Seems the blue of Scotland brings out the best in him.

P.s he can pass, very well infact.

Archived