Scotland squad name face Qatar and Ireland

Goalkeepers

Craig Gordon

David Marshall

Scott Bain

[Rest McGregor who's had a few injury troubles this season and let him get a break over summer. Bain in as third choice since he's the only real young goalie we have]

Defenders

Christophe Berra

Graeme Shinnie

Gordon Greer

Callum Paterson

Russell Martin

Mark Reynolds

Andrew Robertson

Phil Bardsley

[Whittaker will be playing in the play offs and has had a few injury issues recently. Forsyth likely to be involved too so that gives us a chance to gibe Graeme Shinnie a chance. Would rest Martin but don't know who for.]

Midfield

Ikechi Anya

Gary Mackay-Steven

Scott Brown

Darren Fletcher

Ryan Christie

Stuart Armstrong

James McArthur

James Morrison

Matt Ritchie

[Forrest is pish so give Ryan Christie a shot. Maloney in America so chance for Armstrong to come in. I'd let Darren Fletcher rest and bring in Jack but don't think he's that sort of guy!]

Attackers

Leigh Griffiths

Ross McCormack

Ryan Gauld

Steven Naismith

Jordan Rhodes

[Fletcher injured. Russell in play offs so like Forsyth and Whittaker, he may want a break. Would have maybe touted Greg Stewart but he's had a long season and has been a little tired in the last month or so].

Starting team:

Gordon

Paterson Greer Reynolds Robertson

Brown McArthur

GMS Armstrong Anya

Griffiths

EDIT: Shite. Ignore this. Forgot we are playing Ireland too. All the players I rested are now back in play and it's full strength!

Goalkeepers

Bain

Marshall

Gordon

Same reasons as Harry

Defenders

Hutton

Whittaker

Bardsley (though doubt it WGS doesn't seem to like him)

Robertson

Forsyth

Greer

Berra

Martin

Reynolds

Midfielders

Brown

Morrison

Adam

MacArthur

Fletcher

Armstrong

GMS

Anya

Maloney

Ritchie

Fraser

Phillips

I'd get Armstrong and GMS in, they've been great recently IMO. Adam deserves to be back in. Give Fraser some game time against Qatar had a great season. Phillips has been impressive in EPL give him a shot v Qatar.

Forwards

Naismith

Fletcher

Rhodes

Russell

Watt

Being biased calling up Watt but seen he scored again the other week, he's only 20 (?) and Charlton are at a no bad level. Really like him. Would like to see him given chance against Qatar. Fletcher and Naismith will be starting Ireland anyway, with either Rhodes or Russell coming on from the bench. So may aswell.

Team v Qatar

Gordon (Bain)

Bardsley

Greer

Reynolds

Forsyth

Adam

MacArthur

GMS (Russell)

Armstrong (Ritchie)

Phillips (Fraser)

Watt (Rhodes)

Would get a lot of boys a run out 8 days before Ireland, if anybody gets injured it won't be too serious or big a miss.

Team v Ireland

Marshall

Hutton

Berra

Martin

Robertson

Brown

Fletcher

Morrison

Naismith

Anya

Fletcher

I'd go with 3 more defensive players and sacrifice wee Maloney, I'd give Morrison more of a attacking role.

Although I doubt this will be anything like reality. But I'd like to see it.

I'd stick largely with the squad we had for the last set of games as that seemed to be the strongest lot available in terms of caps and level of club football:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_national_football_team#Current_squad

but taking injuries etc into account, I'd select:

GK

Craig Gordon
David Marshall
Allan McGregor
DF
Christophe Berra
Craig Forsyth
Gordon Greer
Alan Hutton
Russell Martin
Mark Reynolds (Grant Hanley instead if fit for selection)
Andrew Robertson
Steven Whittaker
MF
Ikechi Anya
Barry Bannan
Scott Brown
Darren Fletcher
James Forrest or Matt Phillips (I think WGS really rates Forrest, but Phillips deserves a shot)
Shaun Maloney
James McArthur
James Morrison
Matt Ritchie
FW
Johnny Russell
Steven Fletcher Leigh Griffiths
Stevie May Ross McCormack
Steven Naismith
Jordan Rhodes
For the Qatar game:
----------------Gordon
Hutton Reynolds Greer Whittaker
Phillips Fletcher McArthur Russell (Take Phillips off and give Ritchie a run out later on)
---------------Naismith (McCormack on for 2nd half)
---------------Rhodes (Griffiths on for 2nd half)
For the ROI game:
--------------Gordon
Hutton Martin Greer Robertson
----Brown McArthur Morrison
Maloney-------------------- Anya (Russel on when Anya's f*cked - though he never seems to run out of steam)
-------------Naismith (McCormack, Rhodes or Griff on later - depending on who shows up best in Qatar game)
I reckon those two line-ups get the best out of the squad.

I know you edited but good lord.

They are all reasonable under the context I was considering (picking a squad for one friendly).

Bain - We've taken dozens of 'keepers away from the Scottish league to just make up the squad and it makes sense to do it for a younger player for a view to the future. I was picking him assuming we were resting McGregor and I'm not really sure who else we'd pick. Gilks? He wouldn't gain anything. Bell? Same story. Samson? lolz

Reynolds + Greer - Both are regulars? idk what you could be getting at with them, there aren't many defenders to choose from.

Paterson - Well I'd assumed Hutton and Whittaker would be out and Strachan doesn't rate Bardsley much. He's been in a squad before and it would be another low risk call up.

Christie - Forgot Ryan Fraser existed

Stewart - Well I didn't call him but he's not really that outrageous. One of the leagues top scorers and has quite a few assists. Relatively young and a few injuries or tired end of season players would make him a shout for a friendly at this time of year. Don't ever see him playing for Scotland regularly though so wouldn't really see it or want it to happen (from a Scotland perspective anyway) unless it was necessary.

Fraser isn't even first choice at Bournemouth. He's years away from a call-up.

27 games this season for a fantastic EPL bound championship team, 21 years old, if Gauld/May etc have been in then why not Fraser?

I seen him play against Ipswich the other week and was very impressed. I'd have him in.

Why would anyone want to start disrupting the squad?

We're on a pretty good run, its not really the time to be handing out new caps like you're Bertie Vogts.

Calling Ryan Fraser along to a squad is hardly handing out caps like confetti - it'd just be continuing Strachan's pattern of having a young potential star or two along to see how he trains and gets on with the rest of the squad.

27 games this season for a fantastic EPL bound championship team, 21 years old, if Gauld/May etc have been in then why not Fraser? I seen him play against Ipswich the other week and was very impressed. I'd have him in.

As a youngster getting experience maybe, but not to actually play. Almost all his games for Bournemouth are off the bench, he is still miles away. I've been watching his progress closely actually as I liked the look of him at Aberdeen but he's miles away just now.

Phillips can't even get in that puts it into perspective.

Calling Ryan Fraser along to a squad is hardly handing out caps like confetti - it'd just be continuing Strachan's pattern of having a young potential star or two along to see how he trains and gets on with the rest of the squad.

It's not just Ryan Fraser that's being touted on this thread.

Gordon

McGregor

Marshall

Hutton

Forsyth

Robertson

Berra

Whittaker

Greer

R.Martin

Brown

Morrison

Adam

D.Fletcher

Maloney

Anya

Russell

Phillips

Ritchie

Armstrong

Naismith

McCormack

Rhodes

Griffiths

C.Martin

Matt Phillips HAS to be in this squad, would be a joke if he wasnt, Charlie Adam is one of the most in form midfielders in the Premiership the past few months and Griffiths is on fire for Celtic so I would bring these 3 back into the squad.

May isnt better than any of those strikers I have put in YET.

Hanley, Snodgrass and S.Fletcher would all be in there if they were not injured.

Archived