Who is Scotland's best player?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

At present Brown, Maloney and Naismith have to be given some consideration for that award. However I think Snodgrass if he hasn't injured himself would be on a big money move this summer and Hull wouldn't have been relegated. He's our best player.

We don't have a bale or Aaron Ramsay but Marshall and Gordon could play for a top champions league team.

Can't say the same for anyone else in the squad at this moment in time

Think we really need a true match winner. Strangely enough on paper we're strongest in midfield and up front and weakest in the back 4 and yet most of our games are 1-0, 1-1 etc, as a team we are absolutely honking in the final third.

We don't have a bale or Aaron Ramsay but Marshall and Gordon could play for a top champions league team.

Can't say the same for anyone else in the squad at this moment in time

That's a bit of a stretch for Marshall. I could see him playing for a decent EPL team, but top Champions' League (i.e. in the same bracket as Neuer and Buffon)? Not even close.

Gordon is maybe a few steps nearer that level, but still some way away.

I think we get carried away with the quality of the keepers. They're all very good, but as someone said on the podcast recently I think we're mistaking the competition between them for quality.

That's a bit of a stretch for Marshall. I could see him playing for a decent EPL team, but top Champions' League (i.e. in the same bracket as Neuer and Buffon)? Not even close.

Gordon is maybe a few steps nearer that level, but still some way away.

I think we get carried away with the quality of the keepers. They're all very good, but as someone said on the podcast recently I think we're mistaking the competition between them for quality.

No Neuer and Buffon are the messi and Ronaldo of goalkeepers. Top champions league teams could mean Roma, Dortmund, Shalke, Arsenal. Which those two, especially Gordon could play for. Where im not sure any outfield player (D. Fletcher pre injury excluded) could

'Top' Champions League teams = teams who come nowhere near winning the Champions League.

Fk me, getting a bit off topic here

Id consider any team which reaches the last 8 on a regular basis as a top team.

Juventus are an example. Before this years tournament, no one would've held them in the same regard as barca, Real, PSG.

What adverb would you use for a team which is better than most but just short of the best?

The only one who looks silly and who is dragging the thread off topic is the one categorising teams who, at best, barely scraped into the last 16 of the Champions League as 'top' Champions League teams - you. It is neither accurate, nor does it leave any room to categorise the actual best teams in the competition like Barca/Bayern/Juventus. A better adverb might have been 'cannon fodder'.

I simply don't care that Dortmund and Arsenal made the final in the last 10 years, because their current teams are almost (or in the latter's case completely) unrecognisable to those which almost achieved success.

The only one who looks silly and who is dragging the thread off topic is the one categorising teams who, at best, barely scraped into the last 16 of the Champions League as 'top' Champions League teams - you. It is neither accurate, nor does it leave any room to categorise the actual best teams in the competition like Barca/Bayern/Juventus. A better adverb might have been 'cannon fodder'.

I simply don't care that Dortmund and Arsenal made the final in the last 10 years, because their current teams are almost (or in the latter's case completely) unrecognisable to those which almost achieved success.

Don't get upset cuddles

You say arsenal and Dortmund are teams who come nowhere near winning the champs league. The fact they've both made the final in recent times, I say they are.

I say they are top teams, you disagree .

Your opinion is respected

Not sure if it's mentioned somewhere on here already but there's a recent Graham Hunter (Scots journo, based in Spain) podcast with Gordon Strachan. Covers a wide range of subjects but it struck me how much respect he has for Brown and Maloney. Good to hear how much faith in and admiration for his players Strachan has.

Not sure if it's mentioned somewhere on here already but there's a recent Graham Hunter (Scots journo, based in Spain) podcast with Gordon Strachan. Covers a wide range of subjects but it struck me how much respect he has for Brown and Maloney. Good to hear how much faith in and admiration for his players Strachan has.

I reckon Maloney is very underrated. His career has been patchy due to injury and poor transfer choices, but he has the skills we would be raving about if he was a foreign player who came in to play in the SPFL Prem.

I reckon Maloney is very underrated. His career has been patchy due to injury and poor transfer choices, but he has the skills we would be raving about if he was a foreign player who came in to play in the SPFL Prem.

The season he scooped all the awards up here before moving down south he was sensational. As you say, if he was foreign, he'd probably be more revered.

The season he scooped all the awards up here before moving down south he was sensational. As you say, if he was foreign, he'd probably be more revered.

Yeah I thought he was going to be a superstar after that award-winning season at Celtic. I don't understand why nobody in the EPL took a chance on him after Wigan went down.

What has helped is not being stuck out on the left wing.

Archived