Peterheid v Airdrie

Quite simple for us now - we need to win our last two and we need Brechin to lose their last two. Obviously very unlikely given the latter's form.

I had previously thought of this game as the hardest in our run-in, we just never seem to do well up there and Peterhead have spanked us twice at home this season. However, now they're out of the playoff equation, is there likely to be any tinkering / youngster-blooding / feet-off-gas?

Quite simple for us now - we need to win our last two and we need Brechin to lose their last two. Obviously very unlikely given the latter's form.

I had previously thought of this game as the hardest in our run-in, we just never seem to do well up there and Peterhead have spanked us twice at home this season. However, now they're out of the playoff equation, is there likely to be any tinkering / youngster-blooding / feet-off-gas?

Wouldn't think so, don't have the squad depth for one thing + playing for contracts should come into the equation as well. Incidentally, it seems the ref will be the 5th official from the Celtic v ICT game-apparently they missed a handball or something during that game. P.S. hope you're not bringing any of your notorious nudgers with you, Grampian police don't have the numbers to cope.

Wouldn't think so, don't have the squad depth for one thing + playing for contracts should come into the equation as well. Incidentally, it seems the ref will be the 5th official from the Celtic v ICT game-apparently they missed a handball or something during that game. P.S. hope you're not bringing any of your notorious nudgers with you, Grampian police don't have the numbers to cope.

Let's hope the referee doesn't miss the fouls on Rory Mac and Andy Rodgers who are constantly fouled without getting any decisions from the officials.

They both show magnificent restraint in not retaliating or complaining about the treatment they receive.

Hope you were at the game on Saturday, & that's tongue in cheek. Andy should've been sent off late in the second half for kicking out, when there was absolutely no need. Ref saw it clear as day, but decided a yellow would be enough-officials eh?!

we just never seem to do well up there

Granted I'm usually a bit sozzled by the time we reach Peterhead but I think we've got a decent record up there? I can't remember seeing us lose up at Peterhead and we've gave them a couple of beatings. That or in my drunken state I've been imagining things. :unsure2:

Granted I'm usually a bit sozzled by the time we reach Peterhead but I think we've got a decent record up there? I can't remember seeing us lose up at Peterhead and we've gave them a couple of beatings. That or in my drunken state I've been imagining things. :unsure2:

Actually looking at the stats, wins have been shared pretty evenly at Balmoor. Maybe I've just got that horrific 5-1 defeat stuck in my head.

Peterhead: Smith, Kerr, Noble, Strachan, Ross, McDonald, Dzierzawski, Redman, McAllister, Brown, Riley

Subs: Rodgers, Cox, Smith, Cowie, Donaldson, MacDonald

Airdrieonians: McNeil, Bain, P Boyle, Docherty, Gasparotto, Lindsay, Morton, Fitzpatrick, Prunty, Fraser, McHugh
Subs: O'Neil, Watt, Blockley, Gray, Ferguson, J Boyle, Stewart

Ref: Allan Muir

Well, that'll be that.

Gave it a great shot but now the rebuilding starts.

We'll be losing the CB pairing and our most creative midfielder.

Two years on the bounce we've missed out by a narrow margin due to an awful start. Ballantyne needs to have faith in Bollan and give him the budget so we can get off to a flyer.

Shame Stenny didn't win, with the fixtures next week we would have had a shot.

Whilst I agree with Pesadilla about next season, lets not forget that our bad start to the season was partly due to Bollan getting his signings wrong in the summer. Hamill, Kirwan, Parker and Proctor were either not good enough, past it or not ready yet. Even Fitzpatrick - who has found his role in the team now and done well for us - was a terrible centre back where I'm assuming he was signed to play. If Bollan is still here then he'll need to do better this summer.

Fair result today. Both teams did absolutely nothing in the first half. Second half and Peterhead were pressed back by Airdrie continually and any breakdown in Peterhead's play was followed by quick attacking, in numbers, by Airdrie. It appeared to be only a matter of time before we conceded and Airdrie were helped by Jim making his now customary but totally baffling substitutions. The first double substitution led to Peterhead changing formation and conceeding more and more of the ball to Airdrie who went close on a couple of occasions and only some glarious misses (and a couple of great saves by Smith) kept the game all square. A further substitution by Peterhead led to yet another change in formation but no change in the way the game was going. By this point the midfield of Airdrie had total freedom to move and pass the ball about with Peterhead deciding that we could win the game by completely removing our midfield with some of them at the back and some playing high. It was suicide.

A great goal by Airdrie with a header from a corner gave Airdrie the lead. This was a lead that Peterhead were never going to threaten.

From an Airdrie point of view, I am sure there is disappointment with the Brechin result and TBH out of the games that I have seen with the two teams, Airdrie have been the harder working and most direct. Will enjoy the battles again next year.

Fair summary Strichener. Thought we looked especially poor after Coxy went to right back, just shows how poor our squad depth is that he has played, striker, right wind and right back this season . We are a one trick pony and if it doesn't pay off then that's it. Thought McDonald was good in the first half and although I have critised the goalie in the past he probably deserved Motm today. Well done to Airdrie, had a good chat with one of your fans after the game and was good to hear people still enjoy a trip up to us after the bother we have had on and off the park.

Archived