Cheating players & managers

We all make a fuss about referees and officials but the real problem is that players cheat and break the rules with impunity, managers conspire by professing blindness when their players cheat but have 20-20 vision even when they cannot possibly have seen what has happened in many incidents.

Pundits pronounce from the security of a safe seat in the TV studios where they are able to view and review incidents in slow motion and often still cannot agree, supporters are in a sense irrelevant in this as they tend to be unable to take a dispassionate view by the very fact that they are fans.

Could I suggest that most football supporters would be enraged if they encountered such blatant cheating in their day to day journey through life, so why condone it in what is still regarded as a sport.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Petrov was the worst ive seen in spl.

Petrov was a scumbag. He dived to win a penalty against us in 2003 to beat us 2-1 at Firhill and done the exact same thing against your mob at Rugby Park the following week.

Nakamura used to just throw himself to the ground anytime he was within 25 yards of the goal. Infuriating.

Has excessive diving ever put you off a player that you'd otherwise have liked? Petrov and Nakamura both named in this thread already, the two of them were excellent players - particularly had a soft spot for Petrov - but their antics used to put me off them altogether.

The reverse can also be as infuriating. I lost count of the number of times that Paul Heffernan used to be fouled in the box, but reacted naturally to stay on his feet and try and get a shot away while unbalanced - inevitably it would shank by the post, and he'd be rewarded for his honesty with absolutely nothing from the referee. It's this kind of behaviour that encourages others to hit the deck when tripped by a grasshopper.

The thing that pisses me off about footballers more though, particularly when playing for Killie, is getting booked for nothing more than stupidity. Diving yes, but it's dissent that absolutely fucking slays me. See also, taking your top off when you score in any other situation than a last minute Owen v Argentina effort in the dying seconds of a cup final...leaping into challenges while already on a booking (Westlake...)...getting booked for kicking out, or over-reacting...the list goes on.

Time wasting is exempt from the above list, no greater act of heroism is known to mankind.

Clubs as well. I've heard there's a club that sends letters to the SFA every time a decision goes against them just so the refs are scared to give decisions against them. I mean Thistle couldn't afford the stationary bill if they adopted that tactic.

Has excessive diving ever put you off a player that you'd otherwise have liked? Petrov and Nakamura both named in this thread already, the two of them were excellent players - particularly had a soft spot for Petrov - but their antics used to put me off them altogether.

The reverse can also be as infuriating. I lost count of the number of times that Paul Heffernan used to be fouled in the box, but reacted naturally to stay on his feet and try and get a shot away while unbalanced - inevitably it would shank by the post, and he'd be rewarded for his honesty with absolutely nothing from the referee. It's this kind of behaviour that encourages others to hit the deck when tripped by a grasshopper.

The thing that pisses me off about footballers more though, particularly when playing for Killie, is getting booked for nothing more than stupidity. Diving yes, but it's dissent that absolutely fucking slays me. See also, taking your top off when you score in any other situation than a last minute Owen v Argentina effort in the dying seconds of a cup final...leaping into challenges while already on a booking (Westlake...)...getting booked for kicking out, or over-reacting...the list goes on.

Time wasting is exempt from the above list, no greater act of heroism is known to mankind.

Everyone is capable of keeping two sets of books. It wouldn't be the first time a St. Mirren player has been under pressure in the box and I've willed him to hit the deck. Part of me thinks if the defending player puts in a silly challenge, then they need to take some of the responsibility for that.

The one thing that really gets me is players pretending to be injured, to either get an opponent booked, or to waste time. If I've paid £20 odd to see a game, I don't want some of that to be taken up by prima donnas rolling about on the floor when someone accidently clipped their heels.

The thing about cheating if one of your own players dives to win a penalty and wins you the game it's not going to bother you if you say it does your telling lies lol

but when it's against you your pissed off it's one of the worse ways to lose game must say , but that's the way football has went now its ok for your team to dive and win penalties and stuff but Aslong as it doesn't happen against your own team

Clubs as well. I've heard there's a club that sends letters to the SFA every time a decision goes against them just so the refs are scared to give decisions against them. I mean Thistle couldn't afford the stationary bill if they adopted that tactic.

Where did you hear that? Be interested to find out who it is.

Then counter it with every throw, free kick, corner, penalty, opponent booking and red card in their favour and dock the points awarded that way.

Archived