Areas to Strengthen

The Keep / Undecided / Release thread got me thinking, what areas do we need to strengthen in for next season.

We play a 4-2-3-1 regularly so utilising that formation, the current players would be considered first team starters with the other positions required.

GK - Alexander

DR - Required

DC - Ozturk

DC - Required

DL - Required

MC - Pallardo

MC - Required

AMR - Walker

AMC - Required

AML - King

ST - Sow

So 3 new defenders and 2 central midfield players needed.

If we go down, we could end up needing virtually a new squad. You'd expect Gordon, Buchanan & McCord to be away, of the players we'd definitely want to keep. Maybe some others like Kevin Cawley, if someone's willing to take a gamble with consistency.

Assuming they stay, we'll need another standout keeper, another left-back now Daryll Meggatt's definitely off to Dundee, someone else at right-back considering the nightmare that Michael Doyle's had in the second-half of this season, at least two in midfield due to Stephen Simmons' age and injury problems and Graeme Holmes' mediocre year, and a goalscorer. Spence should be kept, with Layne given a full season to see if he can score goals at this level. Scotty Hynd will be eighteen by the start of next season, so we can maybe start to see if he's up for first-team duties too. I'd keep Kyle Benedictus if we can, as he's gone from competent to decent, and maybe another centre-back on top if we end up without a full-back that can cover when necessary.

All opinions my own, etc :P

I think Hearts need a fair few, but I don't know where the money will come from.

Keeper - Alexander isn't getting any younger and Gallacher bound to go. Need at least one.

Right back - Need competition for Paterson.

Left back - Competition needed for McHattie due to sad departure of Eckersely.

Central defence - Even if we keep the overrated Wilson, need another one.

Centre mid - Gomis has been amazing for most of the season, but needs time on the ball and has no pace. Won't get it in the top league. Didn't quite get giving Bauben a new contract when Eck was considered too old. Would love to keep Pallardo, but he needs someone quick beside him. Anderson - no idea. Robinson - will go. I'm a big fan of Holt, but he won't be staying.

Wing - Walker must stay, but not convinced he will. King's goals and assists mean he should stay. Nicholson I'd keep too. All 3 pretty lightweight though.

Forwards - Keep Sow. El Hass - not sure. Oliver - has potential, but I'd prefer Carrick. Keatings - would keep. He has fantastic work rate and hasn't really had a run playing with Sow. Zeefuik - Door will find it impossible not to hit his arse on his way out.

So strengthen - Keeper, RB, LB, CB, MC, FW.

GK:McGurn

LB: McKeown

RB:Thomson

CB: Barr

CB: Watson

LM: Conroy

RM: Anderson

CM: Callachan

CM: Required

FW: Stewart

FW: Vaughan

Given the circumstances, I think we'll be letting go a fair few players this summer. For the most part, we've done well enough with the core of the team which you'd have hoped would've been our first choice. I wouldn't be overly upset if Nade does go, given how well the partnership of Stewart and Vaughan has worked against team similar to our own level.

We re-signed Ross Callachan tonight who has been fantastic this season. What we really need is a solid midfield partner and to figure out which direction taking in terms of the type of player we're looking to bring in. Kevin Moon was fantastic this season, but hasn't looked the same and has frequently been injured. Both Scott and Fox really don't perform consistently enough to justify staying on.

Required

Taggart Graham Required Required

Gilhaney Agnew/Kirkpatrick Turner Megginson

Fleming Required

Our squad is going to require pretty major surgery I think, quite a few loanees moving on, some players who just aren't good enough and a chronic lack of squad depth.

Required

Taggart Graham Required Required

Gilhaney Agnew/Kirkpatrick Turner Megginson

Fleming Required

Our squad is going to require pretty major surgery I think, quite a few loanees moving on, some players who just aren't good enough and a chronic lack of squad depth.
Would be a big risk not signing a new winger with the season Megginson has had. Agree with the rest though.

GK:McGurn

LB: McKeown

RB:Thomson

CB: Barr

CB: Watson

LM: Conroy

RM: Anderson

CM: Callachan

CM: Required

FW: Stewart

FW: Vaughan

Given the circumstances, I think we'll be letting go a fair few players this summer. For the most part, we've done well enough with the core of the team which you'd have hoped would've been our first choice. I wouldn't be overly upset if Nade does go, given how well the partnership of Stewart and Vaughan has worked against team similar to our own level.

We re-signed Ross Callachan tonight who has been fantastic this season. What we really need is a solid midfield partner and to figure out which direction taking in terms of the type of player we're looking to bring in. Kevin Moon was fantastic this season, but hasn't looked the same and has frequently been injured. Both Scott and Fox really don't perform consistently enough to justify staying on.

We need more than 1 new 1st teamer.

Assuming we lose Reilly, Holt, Durnan, Clark and maybe Carmichael and Kidd. I reckon we would need replacements for all of them aswell as a striker. Guys who could fill the void for me are Declan Gallagher, Keaghan Jacobs, Willie Dyer, Craig Reid, Declan McManus, Darren Jamieson. All are realistic targets who would boost any squad at this level and are out of contract

Archived