The big number 2

Grim O'Grady

Who's going to finish in the number 2?

It's going to be an exciting run in.

We've got a big game down at Vale next Wednesday. I thought they played fantastic against the Welfare the other night. Luckily for us our lads won't be tired.

Grimbo

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've got a big game down at Vale next Wednesday. I thought they played fantastic against the Welfare the other night. Luckily for us our lads won't be tired.

Grimbo

in my opinion nobody will catch East Kilbride , and they will only improve next season!

Results of the last week ( defeats for welfare and Stirling) have helped those punters though.

True but canny see dalbeattie or bsc lying doon in Gretna's last two games either.

What I'm saying is it would nae get the cigars oot just yet for a big wedge of the each way at 20/1

Grimbo

Luckily for us our lads won't be tired.

Grimbo

Aye they will. Tired o aw that pish you spout Grimbo!

What is there for number 2 is there just a higher prize fund and a bit of bragging right or do you qualify for something?

There is also a Scottish Cup R2 place: top 2 in HL & LL enter a round later than the rest. Not much to shout about - but a bit like a higher slot being later CL/EL entry.

There is also a Scottish Cup R2 place: top 2 in HL & LL enter a round later than the rest. Not much to shout about - but a bit like a higher slot being later CL/EL entry.

That's not too bad then, nothing to really sing and dance about. What it the difference in prize money between second and below?

That's news to me, I have to say.

How would it work exactly? At the moment it's the 30 SPFL clubs outside the Premiership, and they invite HL & LL champion to make a round 32, or in 2013 before LL was in place they made the EOSL & SOSL champions playoff.

If they let additional clubs in there'd have to be some kind of Preliminary round.

(Or are Brora having their slot taken off them for being grumpy whingers :lol:?).

before they started winning trophies with money they didn't have a certain club in the west of Edinburgh used to big up finishing 2nd in the League and I always thought they should have introduced a 2nd place trophy- something like this:

post-12982-0-61644300-1428081142.jpg

and have a parade with something like this:

post-12982-0-64828400-1428081286.jpg

If the Lilywhites reach the playoffs final against the SPFL club, it would be apt if they won this:

blankety-blank.jpg

as they will have beaten the club with the blankety blank chequebook for whatever they want.

On the subject of the league, no way can EK fail to finish second after Gretna's spectacular meltdown.

That's news to me, I have to say.

How would it work exactly? At the moment it's the 30 SPFL clubs outside the Premiership, and they invite HL & LL champion to make a round 32, or in 2013 before LL was in place they made the EOSL & SOSL champions playoff.

If they let additional clubs in there'd have to be some kind of Preliminary round.

(Or are Brora having their slot taken off them for being grumpy whingers :lol:?).

As far as I am aware only second place will get a slot if the team who wins their league gets promoted. If Montrose are relegated and Edinburgh promoted then the extra place will go to second in the LL or second in the HL if Brora are promoted. If Montrose stay up then again it will only be the league winners of each division.

That would still make the 32 teams in the cup. I haven't saw this confirmed but I believe it is true.

Can any1 confirm that the team that finishes 2nd gains entry to Petrofac/Ramsdens or whatever it's called??

Now you mention it I think I heard that somewhere before.

Yes u get into petrofac cup if finish second

Think I might be culpable for putting that rumour about actually. Heard on a recent LL commentary and subsequent interview that 2nd place gets into the challenge cup, but it seems that the Scottish Cup is referred to by some (and the rulebook) as the 'challenge cup'. So they were probably talking about the top 2 getting a bye in the Scottish Cup, as mentioned above somewhere, and not entry to the Challenge Cup as the guy on the street knows it.

As far as I am aware only second place will get a slot if the team who wins their league gets promoted. If Montrose are relegated and Edinburgh promoted then the extra place will go to second in the LL or second in the HL if Brora are promoted. If Montrose stay up then again it will only be the league winners of each division.

That would still make the 32 teams in the cup. I haven't saw this confirmed but I believe it is true.

Doubt that chief. It'll probably be the 30 clubs from Championship, League One and League Two and the top side in each of the HL and LL from the preceding season - don't think the promotion situation will make any difference to it.

Archived