FAO Motherwell fans - Bob McHugh

I see on our website that Bob McHugh has joined us on loan till the end of the season. We're missing Jimmy Lister through injury and our other options just don't seem to be doing it. What kind of striker is he? Reckon he's a good signing for our level?

I'll give one - even to an Airdrie fan. Yes, he is good enough for your level :)

He's not made the grade at SPL level to be honest and when McCall had a very settled team, he was nowhere near being ahead of Ojamma, Higdon, Sutton, Murphy, etc in the pecking order and so never got much game time. He scored an absolute belter against Aberdeen at Fir Park and a memorable winner at Easter Rd in a 3-2 comeback but other than that not too much to write home about. I've always thought that he needs to learn how to use his build in the same way Scott McDonald does or Dougie Arnott did as he is similar ot them in stature - but he never developed in that way..

His attitude has always been good and he was responsible for some of the funniest songs in the 'Well Bois songbook - so I hope he gets a decent move in the summer..

McHugh should score plenty at that level.

In his career for Motherwell & Queen of the South he's only actually started 26 games and scored 13 goals so he averages a goal every other start.

Spent far too long hanging around the fringes of the Motherwell team though and getting the odd 5 and 10 mins here and there from the bench instead of doing what Stevie Lawless done and dropping down a level for regular first team football.

Hope he does well, his late winner at Easter Road was one of my favourite goals of the McCall era. Best of luck to him.

The best way to sum up Bob McHugh, is that he's been a promising youngster for 8 years.

Still only about 23 though I think, and his record in the U21's has always been really good so he obviously has a lot to offer at a certain level. However the fact that 5 different managers and 8 years have only seen him start 14 times, would suggest that level isn't Premiership though.

I've always hoped a loan move would turn in to a permenant deal for him, as it's a shame to see him waste a career playing reserve football.

Can only echo what others have said.

I had really really high hopes for McHugh when he first broke through. I remember him going 50/50 with Bobo Balde and putting Balde on his arse in a reserve game then played against some Hibs defenders and as a young lad dragged them about and knocked them all over the place. He was supposedly the nstrongest player at Fir Park from a very young age.

He just doesnt ever seem to have progressed that next step, can clearly finish and is strong but doesnt seem to use it right. About 3 or 4 years ago he should have went on loan and very nearly did to Partick Thistle and that would have been the making of him I think but he has never had that chance to shine or get an extended game run.

TBH I think he will score goals for fun for you but his level will be in the Championship I think in the long run no higher.

As much as I hate the diamond b*****ds I hope he does well.

The best way to sum up Bob McHugh, is that he's been a promising youngster for 8 years.

Nail on head. We waited, and waited, and waited a bit more. It never quite happened for him. Shouldn't have got his last 2 year deal, but that's not his fault.

Needs to play regular football. I think he'll struggle to go any higher in his career than the Scottish Championship though.

Archived