Bridcutt, Danny Wilson, Snodgrass, Dorrans, Griffiths

Mr Bairn

I also think talking of players who should be in the sqaud that Phil Bardsley must be missing out cause Strachan doesn't like him, as it couldn't be he's not good enough.

I think it's a couple of things. Strachan is loyal to those that have done well for him, and probably wary of any disruptive influences. I suspect the former is the main reason, with Whittaker keeping Bardsley out of the squad. But it wouldn't be surprising if Strachan isn't too keen on Bardsley for other reasons as well.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This. Or at least if they are then we'll be in real trouble. Neither of them have any great level of ability.

:lol:

You'd have said the same about Naismith and Fletcher back when they were 21. Playing at a better leven than Steven Naismith or Steven Fletcher were at 21.

Both still at Hibs and Kilmarnock.

Watt has tremendous potential, he's just turned 21 FFS, Fuzzy Affro read the Charlton boards he's played well in every single one of the 11 game he's played, outstanding in half of them.

Watt will be Scotland's number 9 one day.

I think it's a couple of things. Strachan is loyal to those that have done well for him, and probably wary of any disruptive influences. I suspect the former is the main reason, with Whittaker keeping Bardsley out of the squad. But it wouldn't be surprising if Strachan isn't too keen on Bardsley for other reasons as wellnt

It has to be that as he's quality.

As for Watt 11 games fine whatever, its a couple of months. If he is still playing like that this time next year get him in, but not after 11 games.

It has to be that as he's quality.

As for Watt 11 games fine whatever, its a couple of months. If he is still playing like that this time next year get him in, but not after 11 games.

Too early for him just now but I think he definitely has the ability to go on and play a part in the future, can't remember the last time I thought one of ours had so much potential, probably a young Riordan or Fletcher tbh.

Riordan was nowhere near as good as people seem to remember him being. It was always fairly clear Steven Fletcher would go the furthest out of that collection of Hibs strikers.

First time I've ever seen a bang-average jobber like Phil Bardsley described as "quality".

Players must get about 50 times better when they're not in the Scotland squad.

Agreed he's not 'quality' but he can play in the exact same positions as Whittaker and he can play in those positions far better than Whittaker.

As you can tell, I do not like Whittaker.

Whittaker = Pish.

Agreed he's not 'quality' but he can play in the exact same positions as Whittaker and he can play in those positions far better than Whittaker.

As you can tell, I do not like Whittaker.

Whittaker = Pish.

I've think Whittaker has been excellent this campaign. Especially Poland and Ireland games very solid. He offered himself tirelessly in forward positions vs Ireland.

First time I've ever seen a bang-average jobber like Phil Bardsley described as "quality".

Players must get about 50 times better when they're not in the Scotland squad.

In the context of the Scotland team he is quality. Played virtually his entire career at a higher level than Whittaker who gets in the squad.

Its a total no-brainer, there couldn't possibly be any football reason why he doesn't get picked, he is easily the second best RB we have and not far off Hutton for the best.

I think you're a bang-average jobber tbh.

The fact that Ritchie was called up ahead of him despite playing in a league below suggests he's lacking something in his game

Does it? Marshall's being picked ahead of two better keepers, at least one of whom is playing at a higher level.

Phillips has hardly had four games in a row with QPR, which is an absolute clusterfuck of a team. I suspect he'll be back in, along with Bridcutt, when injuries dictate. I actually really like both of those players and would have them in the squad every time. I tend to take Strachan at his word when he said that guys like Bryson, Forsyth and the rest of those Derby County esque mediocrities get their places because 1. They aren never going to start meaningful games and 2. They're actually doing nothing wrong. (See Marshall also, although he was badly at fault for the Gibraltar game.)

On the other hand, Phil Bardsley has a screw loose though, so I think he might be done. He clearly is our second best option at right back.

Having said all of that, perhaps Strachan is a rotten racist b*****d and won't pick Phillips or Bridcutt because they is black?

Does it? Marshall's being picked ahead of two better keepers, at least one of whom is playing at a higher level.

Fair point. But then the difference between the situation of Marshall/McGregor (Championship->EPL, both in Scotland squad and have been for roughly a decade) vs Ritchie/Phillips (Championship->EPL, Ritchie came from nowhere to a starting place in both those games while Phillips wasn't even called up) seems really stark.

One thing in Strachan's favour though is that he doesn't really seem to hold grudges (someone might be able to point out an example to debunk this), and no player is left out due to sheer bloody-mindedness - it always seems to be football/team dynamic related.

Having said all of that, perhaps Strachan is a rotten racist b*****d and won't pick Phillips or Bridcutt because they is black?

:lol::lol::lol:

• 3 months later...

I've thought about this a fair bit when squads have been announced.

Strachan puts a lot of emphasis on English players 'feeling' Scottish, he discussed this at length when he first introduced Ritchie to the squad.

Could it be that Bardsley, Phillips and Bridcutt haven't convinced Strachan that they are 100% committed to our cause?

• 4 weeks later...

Bloody hell listen to yourselves, is this not meant to be a Scottish fitba forum.

No wonder we are gash, people in this country know absolutely hee haw about fitba.

Gordon Greer is pish, as is Hanley, Martin, Bannan,McArthur, Berra, Bridicutt and half of all these other diddies mentioned should be nowhere near a Scotland squad.

Archived