Bridcutt, Danny Wilson, Snodgrass, Dorrans, Griffiths

Mr Bairn

To be fair Gauld has played his way into the first team at a Portuguese club. Now given that we usually play with 3 attacking midfielders, that means you'll have about 7 in the squad. No way do we have 7 better than Ryan Gauld.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would you bring in Gauld for 'squad time'? .. What happens if we actually need to use a defensive minded midfielder and all we have is Gauld?

You need to keep as much balance to the squad as possible, wasting spaces giving folk a feel of being around the squad is just stupid, IMO.

We've already got plenty of players who play Bridcutts role, we'd need Brown, Morrison, Fletcher, McArthur & arguably Dorrans & Bannan out injured before we'd look to Bridcutt (and if we're really struggling you could have Berra/Greer move into a defensive mid role). I'd rather we gave our younger, promising lads some time than a someone as unspectacular as Bridcutt who is the type of player we have in abundance.

We've already got plenty of players who play Bridcutts role, we'd need Brown, Morrison, Fletcher, McArthur & arguably Dorrans & Bannan out injured before we'd look to Bridcutt (and if we're really struggling you could have Berra/Greer move into a defensive mid role). I'd rather we gave our younger, promising lads some time than a someone as unspectacular as Bridcutt who is the type of player we have in abundance.

Mulgrew as well.

Gordon Greer has been very good in almost every game he has played for Scotland. There's an argument for him becoming a regular starter (in the short term obviously). He certainly shouldn't be dropping out of the squad for Danny fucking Wilson.

This 100%

Yeah, definitely get that. Not saying that Griffiths is the great white hope, but I think he'd be a better option than Rhodes. Naismith/Fletcher are still the first picks until we get something better, and throwing Griffiths on in the latter stages of the game would maybe yield results. And for someone who will supposedly score whenever he gets a chance, Rhodes fair fluffed his chance from eight yards by spooning it straight into the keeper's arms. One shot does not sum up a career of course, but if I was an International Class striker, that'd be the sort of chance I'd dream of.

The Rhodes thing over this last week has been a case of +ve and -ve hyperbole: folk seem to have been expecting him to either start and score a hattrick and become a hero/first pick in future, or to be left on the bench for 90 mins or have a shocker and never be picked again. In truth he came on, looked quite dangerous, had a few shots, screwed up a sitter and made a tidy assist. In short, he was decent and looked like a good foil for Fletcher. A few folk seem a bit hacked off that they can't really pipe out their saviour or sh*te verdicts... because he was neither.

I don't like pish like that.

Oh no. If only I'd known before I posted it.

The Rhodes thing over this last week has been a case of +ve and -ve hyperbole: folk seem to have been expecting him to either start and score a hattrick and become a hero/first pick in future, or to be left on the bench for 90 mins or have a shocker and never be picked again. In truth he came on, looked quite dangerous, had a few shots, screwed up a sitter and made a tidy assist. In short, he was decent and looked like a good foil for Fletcher. A few folk seem a bit hacked off that they can't really pipe out their saviour or sh*te verdicts... because he was neither.

Well I wasn't really jumping to either extreme either. I don't expect him to score every chance, but plenty seem to. A lot treat him as the great white hope, and some seem to treat him like he's the only player you'd ever want when the ball falls to him in the box. It's not the hype level that English players get from their media, but he is talked about in glowing terms that he hasn't really matched for Scotland. Yet. I'd be delighted if he got his head down, proved WGS wrong and ended up scoring a hatful for us. I just don't think he fits in how he is now, beyond featuring from the bench.

I wouldn't say he looked that "dangerous" on Sunday - each to their own of course - but he wasn't bad in any way. He got an assist after all. But saying he's a good foil for Fletcher...yeah, but that kind of reinforces why he won't really work. We're very, very unlikely to play a system where we have both of them playing like that, outside of the Gibraltar away game.

Is it just me that thinks GMS would fit perfectly into the way Scotland play now? Obviously i don't think he should be straight into the starting team but for the likes of the two games we just had he could have been given a run off the bench

Stevie May's 22 and you're saying he won't get any better than he is now? Tony Watt isn't half the player May is, in ability or attitude.

As for folk like Bridcutt, I'd rather see Gauld given squad time.

Tony Watt is a much better player than May. Watt has seriously bucked up his ideas and been putting in great performances, the Charlton fans are talking about how hard it could be to keep him in the summer, I look forward to being proven right in the next 3 years.

Not just Killie fans "championing" him. He wasn't even all that brilliant or all that popular when he played with us.

Yup. He was pretty average at Killie, which is probably highlighted by the fact he went on to sign for Doncaster in League One and only play a handful of times over two seasons.

Tony Watt is a much better player than May. Watt has seriously bucked up his ideas and been putting in great performances, the Charlton fans are talking about how hard it could be to keep him in the summer, I look forward to being proven right in the next 3 years.

Tbf Watt has put in about four good performances. Wait till he's been doing it for a year and a half before you get too excited.

I don't think it can be long before Griffiths, Mackay-Steven and Armstrong make the squad. We are talking about 3 of Celtic's best players in the 2nd half of the season. GMS was inconsistent at United but it was always clear that on his day, when 100% fit and on form, he has plenty ability. On recent form he should have been straight into the squad - partly because we lack players of that kind of ability - pace and the ability to run at and beat people (aside from Anya, we are very short in that department). I think he'd be within his rights to find it a bit of a kick in the teeth that someone like Matt Ritchie gets in ahead of him - in neither of the two games did he look dangerous 1 vs 1 or offer particular spark to the performance.

We seem to confer extra abilities onto players who play down south, even when they were bog-standard up here. Gordon Greer is the perfect example.

I also think talking of players who should be in the sqaud that Phil Bardsley must be missing out cause Strachan doesn't like him, as it couldn't be he's not good enough.

He's better than Whittaker anyway and can play on both sides of the back 4. I'd have Bardsley in the squad.

Archived