Bridcutt, Danny Wilson, Snodgrass, Dorrans, Griffiths

Mr Bairn

WTF happened to all these guys? I remember being particularly impressed with Liam Bridcutt in one of the games at the end of the world cup qualifying campaign when we started to play better football, Danny Wilson is surely better than Gordon Greer, and Snodgrass impressed me for his club.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paging Dryhorse.....

Eh? It's not like these guys are obscure no names. Bridcutt played well last time we seen him for Scotland, Wilson plays the position we're weakest at and has played at a dominant level in the SFL Championship, Snodgrass went for £6m last summer, Dorrans plays in the premier league and Griffiths scores a barrel load when he gets the right service.

Dorrans has been in most squads this campaign apart from most recent. He isn't playing EPL anymore by the way. He won't ever be more than a squad player now along with guys like Bryson, Burke, McCormack etc who will all be in and out of squads.

Snodgrass is a regular and was a starter before his injury. Will be straight back in squad next season.

Bridcutt is decent enough and I reckon he will go on to win a number of caps. Has had a rough season at Sunderland though and in and out of the team. He also plays in a position where we are well covered with at least 5-6 players ahead of him -Brown, Morrison, McArthur, Fletcher, Mulgrew etc.

Haven't seen much of Hearts or Wilson for ages but can only assume he isn't of the level of our other central defenders but others will be able to update better on his development.

Griffiths just isn't as good as other strikers in and around our squad. Simple as that. With us only playing one up front usually, we don't need alot of strikers in the squad and he is down the pecking order

Griffiths just isn't as good as other strikers in and around our squad. Simple as that. With us only playing one up front usually, we don't need alot of strikers in the squad and he is down the pecking order

I'd have Griffiths in before Stevie May. Agree with the rest of your assessment though.

Bridcutt can hardly get a game at Sunderland we have better players in that position, same with Dorrans.

Snodgrass is injured and has been all season near enough.

Griffiths will be back in the squad at some point, he's no given right to be in it though.

Wilson will be back in it in a year or two if he's back proving himself at a higher level. Reynolds is shite but still more deserving of a place than Wilson.

It's a pretty pathetic list Mr Bairn there are plenty of players who could feel very hard done by by not being in the squad, much more hard done by than the ones you have mentioned here anyway.

Gordon Greer has been very good in almost every game he has played for Scotland. There's an argument for him becoming a regular starter (in the short term obviously). He certainly shouldn't be dropping out of the squad for Danny fucking Wilson.

Gordon Greer has been very good in almost every game he has played for Scotland. There's an argument for him becoming a regular starter (in the short term obviously). He certainly shouldn't be dropping out of the squad for Danny fucking Wilson.

Couldn't agree more. The only uh oh moment i've seen from him was when he almost cut Lewandowskis leg in half in the Poland game. Still got away with it ha

The only one for me that might have a case is Griffiths, who I'd have over May and Rhodes. I like Rhodes, and he's obviously a good goalscorer, but Griffiths would offer more all round, which WGS will quite rightly demand from the squad. He gave a good cross for Fletcher's goal on Sunday, but any better team wouldn't have given him the chance to labour down the line, take his time and pick out a cross.

Snodgrass will be back in, as he got a pretty horrific kneecap injury on the opening day of the Premier League season.

The center back issue isn't a new one, but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as it used to be. We don't have an absolute star there, but none of them have really let us down in this campaign. They're the best we've got, and until they start making regular mistakes that cost us games, they should be in there.

The only one for me that might have a case is Griffiths, who I'd have over May and Rhodes. I like Rhodes, and he's obviously a good goalscorer, but Griffiths would offer more all round, which WGS will quite rightly demand from the squad. He gave a good cross for Fletcher's goal on Sunday, but any better team wouldn't have given him the chance to labour down the line, take his time and pick out a cross.

Snodgrass will be back in, as he got a pretty horrific kneecap injury on the opening day of the Premier League season.

The center back issue isn't a new one, but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as it used to be. We don't have an absolute star there, but none of them have really let us down in this campaign. They're the best we've got, and until they start making regular mistakes that cost us games, they should be in there.

Thing with Griffiths is that although he offers a better all round game, I don't think he's quite up to scratch at the top level. In his caps for Scotland so far he's looked detached and out of his depth. I expected him to improve and score for fun at Celtic but he seems to be struggling there (well, he's doing okay, but still seems a shadow of the player that tore up the league scoring charts with Hibs). Still plenty of time for him to improve and get back into the squad though, but at the moment, he's on the fringes at best.

I thought Wilson looked incredibly assured for an 18 year old centre half on his Scotland debut. He strolled it, and it seemed certain that he'd go onto be a regular in the not to distant future. It just goes to show that some players don't really develop after that age. After being at Liverpool stalled his career, he has moved towards being a potential top flight Scottish player rather than a potential Scotland player. Maybe he'll reappear later on in his career as a Scotland player, like Greer has, but he just hasn't turned into the player he might have been.

Stevie May isn't good enough for international level. He isn't even the top scorer, in all competitions, at his club.

I don't think he's good enough either, Tony Watt is a much better player, still time for May to improve but don't see enough about him to make it at international level or at a club any higher than mid table championship.

Thing with Griffiths is that although he offers a better all round game, I don't think he's quite up to scratch at the top level. In his caps for Scotland so far he's looked detached and out of his depth. I expected him to improve and score for fun at Celtic but he seems to be struggling there (well, he's doing okay, but still seems a shadow of the player that tore up the league scoring charts with Hibs). Still plenty of time for him to improve and get back into the squad though, but at the moment, he's on the fringes at best.

Yeah, definitely get that. Not saying that Griffiths is the great white hope, but I think he'd be a better option than Rhodes. Naismith/Fletcher are still the first picks until we get something better, and throwing Griffiths on in the latter stages of the game would maybe yield results. And for someone who will supposedly score whenever he gets a chance, Rhodes fair fluffed his chance from eight yards by spooning it straight into the keeper's arms. One shot does not sum up a career of course, but if I was an International Class striker, that'd be the sort of chance I'd dream of.

Yeah, definitely get that. Not saying that Griffiths is the great white hope, but I think he'd be a better option than Rhodes. Naismith/Fletcher are still the first picks until we get something better, and throwing Griffiths on in the latter stages of the game would maybe yield results. And for someone who will supposedly score whenever he gets a chance, Rhodes fair fluffed his chance from eight yards by spooning it straight into the keeper's arms. One shot does not sum up a career of course, but if I was an International Class striker, that'd be the sort of chance I'd dream of.

I don't like pish like that. Its one chance, even Messi misses sitters. Judge someone over a season or a career, to judge someone over one chance is laughably idiotic. All the best strikers of all time missed sitters all the time, all strikers do.

Snodgrass in my opinion is our best player. When he has recovered from a horrible injury he'll be straight back in the squad.

Would love to see Matty Philips given a chance, in decent form just now for QPR and apparently their fans are demanding him to start more games. tricky winger who can also play through the middle that has good pace. Get him in!

Would also give Wilson a season or 2 in the SPL before deciding if he should be in the squad let alone a starter.

I don't think he's good enough either, Tony Watt is a much better player, still time for May to improve but don't see enough about him to make it at international level or at a club any higher than mid table championship.

Stevie May's 22 and you're saying he won't get any better than he is now? Tony Watt isn't half the player May is, in ability or attitude.

As for folk like Bridcutt, I'd rather see Gauld given squad time.

Archived