Albion Rovers v Elgin City

As no one else seems interested I'll start off. Another of these games you can see going either way. My half empty glass says Albion are on a good run heading towards the title like an run away express train and our record there ain't good. 3 0 Albion. My half full glass says Elgin have been working away and picking up some decent results. If we can keep it tight at the back there is usually a goal in us. 2 1 Elgin.

Weather may play a big part.

Tend to agree - lately City have won/drawn when I've expected them to lose, and then drawn/lost when I've expected them to win.

So easy home win/dull draw/gritty away win, IMO

Can`t see Elgin getting anything from this. The Wee Rovers are on a roll with one hand on the trophy.If the Dunlops keep it tight at the back and Mark McGuigan keeps up his run of form I can only see one winner, C`mon the Vers.

Can`t see Elgin getting anything from this. The Wee Rovers are on a roll with one hand on the trophy.If the Dunlops keep it tight at the back and Mark McGuigan keeps up his run of form I can only see one winner, C`mon the Vers.

£10 on 3-2 at half time?

Tend to agree - lately City have won/drawn when I've expected them to lose, and then drawn/lost when I've expected them to win.

So easy gritty home win/dull draw/gritty easy away win, IMO

Great win for us been impressed by albion rovers when I've seen them at borough brigg this season was worried we'd lose this so most wanted was a draw so happy with that win just need to keep pushing for that final play off spot

Better team won, simple as that.

Yeah, no arguments with that. Elgin did what we did to Arbroath and QP: sat in, defended well, and broke at speed. They didn't get up the park much, but they always looked like scoring when they did.

We on the other hand were very poor, but got lucky with other results. Only Gary Fisher got pass marks for me; maybe Turnbull too, at a push. The team really does need freshened up now. I'd say Ferns and Love are most likely to drop out, hopefully for Cadden and Chaplai, albeit the system will need tweaked to fir Chappie, Mullin would be on a shaky peg, but for the fact Fisher is really the only other option in there and we need him further up the park.

Still, we're six clear with five to play. I'd definitely have taken that in August.

Yeah, no arguments with that. Elgin did what we did to Arbroath and QP: sat in, defended well, and broke at speed. They didn't get up the park much, but they always looked like scoring when they did.

We on the other hand were very poor, but got lucky with other results. Only Gary Fisher got pass marks for me; maybe Turnbull too, at a push. The team really does need freshened up now. I'd say Ferns and Love are most likely to drop out, hopefully for Cadden and Chaplai, albeit the system will need tweaked to fir Chappie, Mullin would be on a shaky peg, but for the fact Fisher is really the only other option in there and we need him further up the park.

Still, we're six clear with five to play. I'd definitely have taken that in August.

Turnbull needs his arse kicked for giving up the chase back for their 2nd goal, should have pulled him their player down or something.

Tbh I think it might be a bit harsh to single out any players today as we just weren't at the races but could have still sneaked something with a wee bit of luck.

Anyways, we pick ourselves up and go again next week.

McGuigan continuing his run of form was a contributing factor in why we got nil! As well as failing to stick a leg out at an open goal, he drifted out wide for every other attack- which is great for a winger (his best position) but no use from a lone (so-called) striker. He's basically a big, tall "false 9", and he's good at that but it means the onus is on the midfielders to get the goals. That will always be a harder task without Scott Chaplain on the field.

I have few contentions with Snuffy's post-mortem on that murder, only that I disagree with Fat Gary as 'Vers MOTM- Ross Dunlop was on fine form again, and would be my pick. Darren Young gets pass marks also: he carried Fisher and Davidson through much the game, as he has for the last few weeks.

Young has done a fine job as our third rookie manager in a row: the only test left for him this season is wrapping up the title. I'm confident we'll win next week, but am wary that the last losing streak began with a defeat to Elgin. He doesn't like changing a winning team but anyone can see that Ally Love is a lightweight, and dropping him for Chappy is a no-brainer. I'd suggest a 4-2-3-1, built around our best player and top scorer.

It goes without saying that Elgin were well worthy of their win: with some top forward players in Gunn, Sutherland and Reid, and an excellent goalkeeper who had a perfect game, dealing easily with everything he had to, and particularly impressive with his kicking, which exceeded Parry's average yardage even when going into a headwind. Good luck to Jim Weir in his play-off pursuit.

Lastly, regarding John Gemmell's involvement in the match: was any of it legal? I think he may have become the first player to come on as a substitute and foul with every touch.

Did I imagine that John gemmell was at one point a pretty good player a few years back? I told my dad to watch out for him at the last game at borough Briggs, his only contribution of note was to be booked for diving..

John has had a (predictably) bad season. He peaked in November in the crucial defeat of so-called champions-elect Arbroath, whose fans gave him a 90-minute barrage of BMI-related abuse, but since then has slowly become a parody of himself: slower, fatter, booked and hooked more than ever.

Still, I rate him for any big game- he may be slow and mouthy but if you want a clinical striker with presence and influence, who gets in the box for chances, he's an improvement, many fold, on Mark "decoy" McGuigan. History has taught us that he also brings out the best in Scott Chaplain.

Didn't see that one coming! Crazy league this season. Out of all the teams though Albion Rovers have managed to recover from lapses in form quicker than the rest and will no doubt do so again to clinch the title. Fair play to Elgin City though, trapdoor contenders turned play-off hopefuls...

Thought the Rovers defence bar Ross Dunlop were very poor. Both full backs couldn't have complained had they not came back out after break. The decision to bring Gemmill on and go with 2 big guys up top didn't work which wasn't a surprise as wind was holding any high ball up.

McGuigan held on to ball too long too often for me. Thought Young & Davidson done well other than that very poor all round.

Formation is too congested in middle , could do with playing with wingers & starting Gemmill or it could be squeaky bum time

Great win for us been impressed by albion rovers when I've seen them at borough brigg this season was worried we'd lose this so most wanted was a draw so happy with that win just need to keep pushing for that final play off spot

A decent team are Elgin , a totally deserved 3 points with little help from our defence. The two full backs were the weak link which is a shame as they have done well recently.

Highlight of the day was the outbursts from Albino Rover and Shaun "ya dirty cheat" Millar- for a minute I thought the it was National Tourette's week at Cliftonhill.

Archived