Scotland vs Gibraltar

ArabFC

That's naive though, as the opposition we are facing will not play in a normal way. We are playing a team who will play ten at the back and never get more than 35 yards from their own goal. I think you should make changes to counter that.

We went with two strikers against Luxembourg a couple of years ago. That didn't really work out.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair enough if thats your logic.

Why are you championing Rhodes though, considering Chris Martins outscored him over the last two seasons?

I don't think that's true anymore? I know CM was ahead earlier in the season when he was flying and Rhodes was playing poorly, but JR's back in front now.

How does this game work in terms of world ranking points? Gibraltar don't have a FIFA ranking atm based on the current rankings.

Would this game just not be counted? Or can we still get points.

Apologies if this has been answered before.

Doesn't count a jot towards the rankings as they're not recognised by fifa and aren't in the rankings. Even if they were, we'd get next to nothing for it as they'd be very low

After listening to Strachan on Off The Ball a few weeks ago I think there is no chance he will tinker about with the 2 systems he prefers.

He said the manager and players don't panic in these games, the longer it goes 0-0 the more the fans panic because they are expecting a humping and then the fans get on the players backs.

Why are people wanting to change a formation and team that have been performing to a high standard for some time now. I know we are playing a stinking team but the same formation and team that we have been playing with will do, we will take a few off this mob and also with this formation we have created many chances against teams who are 10 time better than this mob.

No fucking about, just keep the same shape and balance and continue doing what we are doing.

Why are people wanting to change a formation and team that have been performing to a high standard for some time now. I know we are playing a stinking team but the same formation and team that we have been playing with will do, we will take a few off this mob, remember and also with this formation we have created many chances against teams who are 10 time better than this mob.

No fucking about, just keep the same shape and balance and continue doing what we are doing.

Fair enough if thats your logic.

Why are you championing Rhodes though, considering Chris Martins outscored him over the last two seasons?

Martin's played in the best attacking side in the last few years, tbf.

I'd go:

Gordon; Hutton, Martin, Reynolds, Robertson; Brown; Russell, Maloney, Naismith, Anya; Rhodes

Why are people wanting to change a formation and team that have been performing to a high standard for some time now. I know we are playing a stinking team but the same formation and team that we have been playing with will do, we will take a few off this mob, remember and also with this formation we have created many chances against teams who are 10 time better than this mob.

I done it because last night the only goal threat against a team sitting right in was Fletcher, it was basically him against all the Northern Ireland defenders in the box. Don't see the point of having 2 holding midfielders and 3 small attacking midfielders here tbh

Coz wur playing diddies and 4-4-2 wi Rhodes the goal machine is the way forward.

For some reason.

Is this the first time a Scot has managed Scotland's opposition in a competitive match?

It would seem so... Infact even in friendlies the only one I can find seems to be Eddie Thomson (Australia - 1996) and maybe Bill Jeffrey (USA - 1952).

From the games against both halves of Ireland, it's blindingly clear that this team's weakness is the inability to create chances when the onus is on us to control the tempo of the game. The reason we play well away from home and against the better sides is because we're a counter attacking team. 4-2-3-1 doesn't work in games like that because all the crosses in to the lone striker get snuffed out by their centre backs.

We may have won both games but both were late winners from set pieces in games we should have won 3-0 or so. Two holding midfielders is not needed when the opposition have no intention of playing attacking football.

Our standard set up should be

GK

Back 4

Brown

Right winger --- Maloney --- Anya

Naismith

Centre forward

Then in games like away to Poland/Ireland or any game against the top top sides, sacrifice one of the further forward players and put Fletcher in next to Brown. Personally I'd sacrifice whoever is up top and roll with Naismith as the main man, although another option is to push Naismith wide right and sacrifice whoever you have there normally (Ritchie?)

Ritchie didnt do enough to warrant a place in the side.

He asaisted our only goal. Decent Set piece delivery could add to our goal tally on Sunday?

Archived