Scotland vs Gibraltar

ArabFC

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're very different kinds of strikers so that comparison is useless.

Rhodes is really just a goalscorer, but very good at it. Fletcher's game offers an awful lot more.

As it happens I think they compliment each other very well and make a great front two for games like Gibraltar.

They're very different kinds of strikers so that comparison is useless.

Rhodes is really just a goalscorer, but very good at it. Fletcher's game offers an awful lot more.

As it happens I think they compliment each other very well and make a great front two for games like Gibraltar.

Thumbs to this, apart from the 'just a goalscorer' bit

If you'd watched the game tonight, you'd have seen Rhodes block a few NI crosses, lay on a few balls to the wingers and put himself about a bit

ETA, not suggesting that he's technically better than Fletcher, just that it's a total myth that he's a reincarnation of Kris Boyd

The answer to that question is always going to favour Rhodes.

Always.

38 goals to Fletcher's 7.

Are Fletcher's 7 prem goals really better than Rhodes' 38 in the championship?

Fair enough if thats your logic.

Why are you championing Rhodes though, considering Chris Martins outscored him over the last two seasons?

S Fletcher will start and score.

Still can't believe the amount of people who want him dropped are they blind to what he brings to the team?

As long as the team are playing well and getting results at this level it's irrelevant who scores the goals.

Whit aboot

No fussed what GK

Hutton (will bomb forward)

Martin

Greer

Robertson (will bomb forward)

Broony

Naismith

Morrison

Anya

Fletcher

Rhodes

Fletchers great for us but just needs a goal, this will be a 10 men behind the ball job so we need players in the box. Anya and Robertson going down the left getting crosses in with Fletcher/Rhodes in the box, Naismith coming in at the back and Morrison loitering on the edge sounds good. I imagine Martin/Greer and Brown will be the 3 left sitting back whilst everybody else goes forward.

Hopefully we pump them to make up for that pish last night

Thumbs to this, apart from the 'just a goalscorer' bit

If you'd watched the game tonight, you'd have seen Rhodes block a few NI crosses, lay on a few balls to the wingers and put himself about a bit

ETA, not suggesting that he's technically better than Fletcher, just that it's a total myth that he's a reincarnation of Kris Boyd

That is true he is adding more to his game now which is great and probably part of why he is back in the national squad.

Thought Fletcher had a decent enough game, good touches and held the ball up well when needed. Didn't think Rhodes did anything when he came on, not really sure of the facination with him. He has never been great in any of his Scotland showings IMO.

The team in the opening post has nailed the outfield 10 for me, though I am not fussed either way on Gordon/Marshall and Greer/Berra. Berra has been a decent enough player over the years for Scotland IMO, maybe a few dodgy moments but on the whole pretty solid.

If only we had a defender as solid as Johnny Evans.

Whit aboot

No fussed what GK

Hutton (will bomb forward)

Martin

Greer

Robertson (will bomb forward)

Broony

Naismith

Morrison

Anya

Fletcher

Rhodes

Fletchers great for us but just needs a goal, this will be a 10 men behind the ball job so we need players in the box. Anya and Robertson going down the left getting crosses in with Fletcher/Rhodes in the box, Naismith coming in at the back and Morrison loitering on the edge sounds good. I imagine Martin/Greer and Brown will be the 3 left sitting back whilst everybody else goes forward.

Hopefully we pump them to make up for that pish last night

I'd go with that, Morrison could drop deeper if required aswell.

Might put russell in for morrion and have naisy more central if i was to change anything

I'm not sure just trying to fit as many attacking players into the line up as we can as some seem to be suggesting is really the way to go tbh. You start doing that and you start fucking with the shape and balance of the fairly settled team we currently have. I'm convinced the reason we struggled so baldly against Liechtenstein was due to Levein making an arse of things trying to shoehorn Boyd, Miller and Faddy into starting lineup to the overall detriment of the team.

I'd stick to our tried and trusted shape we've used so far and would probably go with the OP's team. Wouldn't be bothered which keeper we go with, think personally that Gordon is the best of the trio but could understand why Strachan would stick with Marshall.

Suppose I can see why some people would want Rhodes for a game like this but for me it has to be Fletcher up front. What he brings to the team seems to be vastly underestimated by a fair section of the Scotland support. His touch, hold and link up play are top notch. Even when he isn't scoring goals he brings so much to the team and does a great job of bringing others like Maloney and Anya into the game.

I know we could probably play Lee Hollis in goal and Colin Nish up front and still win this one as Gibraltar as expected have looked funking rank so far but I still wouldn't be changing too much regardless of opposition.

Just stick with our strongest team, in our settled formation and get the job done.

Nice 4-4-1-1 (essentially a 4-4-2 anyway.

Marshall (not my choice but clearly first pick for Strachan)

Hutton

Martin

Greer

Robertson

Maloney

Morrison

Brown

Anya

Naismith

Fletcher

That won't be far off. Naismith might go up top with Maloney in the 10, Morrison wider and Darren Fletcher in midfield.

Hutton

Martin

Greer

Robertson

Maloney

Morrison

Brown

Anya

Naismith

Fletcher

That won't be far off. Naismith might go up top with Maloney in the 10, Morrison wider and Darren Fletcher in midfield.

I'd go with that too. Think it's safe to say barring injury, Andy Robertson has the LB slot tied down for the foreseeable.

I'm not sure just trying to fit as many attacking players into the line up as we can as some seem to be suggesting is really the way to go tbh. You start doing that and you start fucking with the shape and balance of the fairly settled team we currently have. I'm convinced the reason we struggled so baldly against Liechtenstein was due to Levein making an arse of things trying to shoehorn Boyd, Miller and Faddy into starting lineup to the overall detriment of the team.

I'd stick to our tried and trusted shape we've used so far and would probably go with the OP's team. Wouldn't be bothered which keeper we go with, think personally that Gordon is the best of the trio but could understand why Strachan would stick with Marshall.

Suppose I can see why some people would want Rhodes for a game like this but for me it has to be Fletcher up front. What he brings to the team seems to be vastly underestimated by a fair section of the Scotland support. His touch, hold and link up play are top notch. Even when he isn't scoring goals he brings so much to the team and does a great job of bringing others like Maloney and Anya into the game.

I know we could probably play Lee Hollis in goal and Colin Nish up front and still win this one as Gibraltar as expected have looked funking rank so far but I still wouldn't be changing too much regardless of opposition.

Just stick with our strongest team, in our settled formation and get the job done.

That's naive though, as the opposition we are facing will not play in a normal way. We are playing a team who will play ten at the back and never get more than 35 yards from their own goal. I think you should make changes to counter that.

Hutton

Martin

Greer

Robertson

Maloney

Morrison

Brown

Anya

Naismith

Fletcher

I'd go with this. No point in starting with Fletcher and Brown in the same midfield against the weakest side in the group. Reckon Strachan will do this anyway and possibly start Maloney ahead of Naismith.

Archived