Real Madrid Forward "a luxury"

Sweet Pete

I was reading in the Metro this morning that Ricky Sbragia has not selected Real Madrid player Jack Harper because he feels he's too small, though the player is over 6 feet tall, and because he hasn't seen him much in the last 6 months, as well as stating that the player can be a luxury at times as he drifts positions and he needs a more positionally disciplined player. Sbragia states that he has picked a squad for the Austrian games that will be, in his own words, tall and physical.

Now, I don't know the first thing about Jack Harper, so I don't really care whether he gets international youth caps or not, but Sbragia's comments about wanting to pick a tall, physical side irked me. I would argue that at youth international level the focus should be on picking the best ball players and the most talented players available to you, rather than picking only the tallest or strongest available, because though there is a trophy at stake, this is still a youth tournament and ultimately should be about player development.

Would you agree that youth international coaches are right to pick players based on physicality in the hope of winning through strength and fitness, or would you say that youth coaches at all levels should be more concerned with developing technique and skill?

Discuss.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You got to think, this boy is at real madrid for a reason. He has scored a lot of goals at every level he's played at so far. He should be getting a call up to the youth squads to get him interested and excited at the prospect of playing for scotland. Agree picking boys for their height is about 10/20 years out of date. Thats like saying anya + maloney you're no longer needed.

What a fanny. Harpers huge. That's an absolute disgrace that, pick the best players FFS no the biggest. Only Scotland could have a talented player at Real Madrid and decide not to pick him because he's 'too small' when he is 6 foot 1 FFS!

In the nicest way possible, I hope he falls down the stairs in his house and is hospitalised with a possible broken neck.

Sbragia not Harper.

We'll no doubt see Harper turning out for Ireland in no time.

Or Spain.

Are Sbragia's credentials any good? Seems he's caretaker boss right now and has been for months, wonder what steps are being made to find a full-timer.

Or Spain.

Are Sbragia's credentials any good? Seems he's caretaker boss right now and has been for months, wonder what steps are being made to find a full-timer.

Aye, I believe he is eligible to play for them due to residency. We deserve to lose him, quite frankly.

Fire him today and give the job to Ian Cathro. Most ridiculous thing I've ever read.

Heard a guy on the radio a few years ago who was a coach at Everton, said he recommended Modric to them after he demolished England for Croatia. Everton's head scout said he was too small.

This is why foreigners are better than us at football.

Archived