United v County

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I'm happy to see the young lads play this game, revert back to the 4-2-3-1, slightly puzzled as to why this approach has been dropped. We played and won without Gary and Stuart using that system.

Rado

McGowan Morris/Souttar Fojut Dixon

Butcher Paton

Dow Telfer Connolly

Ciftci

There's no reason for us to pack up for the season yet, if the boys can make a run for third and win the derby/derbies, won't be the worst season ever.

ETA: Having looked at our run in, this is vital in our season, a win here build the confidence for the derby, then Hamilton at home. That's 9 point's before the Aberdeen game. put's the pressure on Inverness after the split.

Disappointing that Midge won't be able to play for us, he'll be a big miss. Most likely it'll be either Sernas or Carey, hopefully it's Sernas tbh as I haven't seen him play yet and he should get a chance from the start to make an impression.

Goes without out saying, as long as it's not Joe Cardle.

I'd go with Telfer/Butcher as they've won every game together. Paton does not merit a start. At all. Spittal deserves to keep his place being one of the only positives against Celtic. Souttar will hopefully start too.

Wouldn't be against Muirhead and Ciftci playing off each other. Nice blend of physical players with them two and Butcher complimented by Connolly, Spittal and Telfer/

But no. We'll get Paton, Dillon, Erskine and Dow all playing. YAY.

He just seems such a limited footballer. Cuts in on his right foot on the left hand side every fucking time.

That's about it. Just seems out of his depth at this level.

I remain hopeful we can take something from this game, though it won't be an easy task. Hopefully those 10 consecutive defeats to Celtic (or whatever it was) will have really taken the wind out of their sails and County can capitalise. But like others above have said, hard to imagine how we'll do without Midge.

1-1 bore draw, players spotted downing pints at half time, pulled by The Baldy Snake

OR

United to tear forth after the four bootcamp games against Celtic and rip County a new one, 3-0

I've boldly predicted 3-0 utd all week and I shall be having a wager on this outcome.

Team must be hurting and a good opportunity to take out their frustrations on someone other than Dundee...

By 5pm Saturday Jackie Mc will be the messiah again, pates and ranks will be the destroyers/terriers/insert cliche here that were being lauded earlier this season, Dow will be the answer and *Aniers hattrick will cement his place in the hearts of the fans.

*that last bit was added for comedic effect - the rest is typical DAB behaviour.

This is suddenly about the hardest game to predict, of our entire season. With our awful record against United, I usually want these fixtures to come and go without me even being aware they happened. Then again, our record against them in Dundee isn't actually as horrendous as might be expected - off the top of my head, we've never won there but at least a few draws? (I didn't say "Not horrendous", only "Not as horrendous as might be expected!") When we first started our run a few weeks back, you kind of looked ahead and thought if it hasn't ended by the time we play United, it certainly will then. But then we've just got better and better, and IF United's run of games against Celtic has demoralised them as much as it understandably could, you're suddenly thinking "our first ever win at Tannadice?". Then again, no Midge... then again, the whole team has looked impressive of late - we're no one-man-show, even if there are some definite key players in there.

A-N-Y-W-A-Y.

With it being so hard to predict I'm going for a 2-2 draw. If not that, then some kind of a United victory.

I've boldly predicted 3-0 utd all week and I shall be having a wager on this outcome.

Team must be hurting and a good opportunity to take out their frustrations on someone other than Dundee...

By 5pm Saturday Jackie Mc will be the messiah again, pates and ranks will be the destroyers/terriers/insert cliche here that were being lauded earlier this season, Dow will be the answer and *Aniers hattrick will cement his place in the hearts of the fans.

*that last bit was added for comedic effect - the rest is typical DAB behaviour.

What absolute dunce has been praising Rankin and Paton?

What absolute dunce has been praising Rankin and Paton?

No one recently I'll grant you but early season they were the boys behind your early success. There were even newspaper articles dedicated to them over a particular game at pitoddrie.

Pretty sure around the time Paton was pavement dancing he was highly thought of by your support.

There has been (from an outsiders perspective) a swift and dramatic turn on these two in the past month or 2.

No one recently I'll grant you but early season they were the boys behind your early success. There were even newspaper articles dedicated to them over a particular game at pitoddrie.

Pretty sure around the time Paton was pavement dancing he was highly thought of by your support.

There has been (from an outsiders perspective) a swift and dramatic turn on these two in the past month or 2.

You'll find conflicting opinions on both at different times, like any players in any team.

Rankin had a great first season, shite second, good third, and has been a much diminished force this season. Paton is harder to judge, I think he does a good enough job, others disagree. The point is that their 'sum is greater than the parts' partnership of last season has faltered, the reason for which is open to speculation and debate. Losing our two of our best players in the summer then another two recently, all good outlets, has probably put an additional load on their position to be fair.

It took me a long time to wear these fcukers down! :rolleyes:

You'll find conflicting opinions on both at different times, like any players in any team.

Rankin had a great first season, shite second, good third, and has been a much diminished force this season. Paton is harder to judge, I think he does a good enough job, others disagree. The point is that their 'sum is greater than the parts' partnership of last season has faltered, the reason for which is open to speculation and debate. Losing our two of our best players in the summer then another two recently, all good outlets, has probably put an additional load on their position to be fair.

When we were on the hot streak last season, teams were playing so deep against us that Rankin and Paton were never under any pressure and were made to look better than they are. When teams found out if you got in our faces, they didnt show up so well when we needed to battle in games.

Add into that Robertson who brought a whole other dimension down the left - losing him basically left us with no width as GMS was being played on the right in an inside forward role which crowded Rankin and Paton even more.

Archived