Scotland vs Northern Ireland 25/03/15

Looking forward to this as its my first Scotland game since the USA one last year. Should be a good 4 or 5k fans over from NI which should make for a good atmosphere. Unfortunately the game itself probably won't match the atmosphere as its only a friendly.

0-0 written all over it IMO

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not missed a home since the Croatia home game in 2013. Going through myself for this one.

Never do friendlies, leaving work from Dundee at 5 would take forever, would have to leave at 4 to beat traffic and then I'd be in Glasgow for 20 to 6 with f**k all to do. Pretty shite having friendlies in the central belt.

Never do friendlies, leaving work from Dundee at 5 would take forever, would have to leave at 4 to beat traffic and then I'd be in Glasgow for 20 to 6 with f**k all to do. Pretty shite having friendlies in the central belt.

Friendlies like these games should be at Easter Road.

I said this already but I dunno why Dundee never gets a game, this one is to big for Tannadice but even Pittodrie. Glasgow makes sure all the bigots turn up though.

Pittodrie i can see the point mate.

Would be a good excuse for a day out.

Unless it's a big friendly game they should rotate it between Edinburgh/Dundee and Aberdeen. ;)

Glasgow gets all the qualifiers.

This.

If Scotland were to play something like Brazil or Colombia in a friendly. It should be at Hampden.

Edinburghs full of rugby wankers and Aberdeen is fucking miles away from civilisation. Keep the soccer in Glasgow, maybe some shitey games get given to Dundee.

How dare you call us Edinburgh people wankers :angry:

Team-wise, I'd go for:

---------------------Gordon

Hutton-----Martin-------Greer-----Robertson

-------------Fletcher-----Brown

Forrest----------Morrison---------------Anya

-------------------Fletcher

GK, defence and holding midfield pick themselves for me. Mark Reynolds on later to see how he looks at this level.

Attacking midfield:

-Although Forrest is not flavour of the month on these forums, we need to try him out in this system and I think Strachan will do this. With the pace of Anya on one side and Forrest on the other we could be quite a different prospect. I'd bring Russell on for Anya later on.

-Favoured Morrison in the hole over Naismith as I think we already know Naismith works well in this position (and can bring Naismith or Maloney on if we're losing/drawing and we need to secure a result).

Fletcher gets a start but only just. Rhodes on for him at half time.

With the Gibraltar game coming up, perhaps a switch to the 4-4-1-1 we used vs Croatia might be an idea for the second half too.

Would be nice to get May and McCormack some game time too but that might be too much chopping and changing.

All just ideas - main thing is we get a win and the ranking points that come with it.

I think we should try out a few alternative options in the northern Ireland game. I don't expect the shape to change for either game. To start against northern Ireland we shouldn't put out a full different 11 but certainly try out a couple of other squad members.

I would go with the below.

Marshall

Hutton Martin Reynolds Robertson

McArthur Morrison

Ritchie Naismith Anya

Fletcher

Give Scott Brown a rest after a hectic schedule I think will benefit Scotland but I hope he plays two 90 minutes and gets injured from a personal point of view.

Darren Fletcher as well will benefit from maybe only playing the last 30 minutes.

Give Forsyth a half at left back and take Andy Robertson off.

Get Russell a decent run out as well. Stevie May as well with McCormack later on in the match.

^^^

Seems fair enough. I'd start with first choice though, then make subs as you go on. Friendlies count for points, so it'd be much easier to throw inexperienced players in later when it's a draw or we're winning, then throw on the best players when we're getting cuffed.

But to be honest, as long as we keep the same system we're going to be playing in every other game, I don't really care who we play. Put Ritchie in though, we'll see what he's got.

If we turn up and actually try hard it will be a 3 nil pumping.

Bring it on

Vs NI or Gibraltar? (this thread's a bit mixed up)

I'm hoping for:

Scotland 3-0 Northern Ireland, Fletcher and Rhodes scoring

Scotland 11-0 Gibraltar, hunners of goals for everyone

But in reality I expect:

Scotland 1-0 Northern Ireland, with a scrambled goal from a defender

Scotland 3-0 Gibraltar, with Maloney unpicking them a few times

Either way I'm hopeful of two wins and I'll be delighted if we get them. Would be immense to see a goal glut though :)

Archived