Scottish Away Football Supporters

Peterhead is the best away day in the country. Even better when you go up for the weekend. Is it true that Berwick fans sailed to Peterhead a couple of seasons ago? Pretty certain I heard it either on here or at the football and thought that'd be quite a good weekend to do.

As a full stadium Tynecastle is fantastic - probably the best in Scotland. When you support a team with 300 home fans things like that is pretty insignificant. It's about the overall match day experience and Gorgie isn't the best.

As an area it isn't really but I love having our stadium there. Hate going to grounds where it's a half mile walk at least from a pub or any other amenities.

Gorgie has around a half dozen decent pubs all a goal kick away from the ground as well as plenty other eateries, convenience stores and is also served very well by public transport.

Absolutely mate, not disagreeing with that and I could see why top flight fans would enjoy it as their favourite. Not for me though. There's a few pubs but they all are awful small and rammed before kick off. You don't get that when you're away to Annan with 500 fans in attendance ;)

Edit: out of town stadiums are dreadful. Livi and Clyde are two that spring to mind. Not sure I will ever go back to these places.

We went into the Prison wardens club on both our Tynecastle visits and whilst it was busy there were no issues getting a seat or being served. It's shame we won't be back there next year.

Arbroath is one of the best for me. Good pub at the ground, good people, good ground and if it wasn't so close to the sea it'd be perfect (weather can ruin games).

Absolutely mate, not disagreeing with that and I could see why top flight fans would enjoy it as their favourite. Not for me though. There's a few pubs but they all are awful small and rammed before kick off. You don't get that when you're away to Annan with 500 fans in attendance ;)

Edit: out of town stadiums are dreadful. Livi and Clyde are two that spring to mind. Not sure I will ever go back to these places.

Livi is not out of town. The stadium is a five minute walk from the main town centre and a shorter walk from the main bus stop.

You must have high standards in watching games, considering that you watch your home games behind a cage....

People in glass houses and all that.

I would say it's out of town as no town exists in Livingston. It has a shopping centre and f**k all else. Shit pubs, miles away from any transport links and an all round shite day.

I'd wager more than 50% of regular Scottish football fans would rather an away day at Central Park - despite it's dilapidated state - than Livi or Clyde. Tells it's own story.

Livi is not out of town. The stadium is a five minute walk from the main town centre and a shorter walk from the main bus stop.

You must have high standards in watching games, considering that you watch your home games behind a cage....

People in glass houses and all that.

Considering most away supporters will either drive or get the train, the parking is a disaster as is the traffic. There is no frequent bus service from the station to the ground . All in all it a shambles.

Cowden have free yes free , not £5 a go, on site and both the bus stops and the station are 5mins fom the ground. Absolutely no comparison.

Don't get me started about the catering prices.

Done.

Scottish football is full of great away days, it's impossible to choose just one. The last few years in particular have been good to us with our seaside tour in the 2nd Division taking us to places we hadn't visited in many years (or at all in my case) and then this season allowing us to visit Ibrox, Tynecastle and Easter Road on league business for the first time in donkeys years.

I opted for Stranraer simply because it's as close to a derby match as we have and we usually win. Games in the Cleyhole normal draw a decent sized crowd as well which normally leads to a good atmosphere behind the goals and in the wee stand..

I've had far, far better away days than Stranraer, but often these have occurred rather spontaneously due to events on the pitch etc. For example winning the Challenge Cup at Livingston is one of the best games I've ever been to, but no-one in their right mind is going to vote for Livingston as a good away day. Stranraer you pretty much know is going to be a good one every single time.

Not done as I am not a fan of one particular Scottish Club and visit the grounds as a neutral. I am interested in the debate on best away day however.

My (and my mates) criteria is as follows;

• Good Pubs (Must have real ale, which is a bit of an issue at a lot of Scottish grounds but thankfully never a problem anywhere in England anymore)
  • Friendly home fans (cannot understand why a lot of away fans ask on message boards where there own fans are going. The whole point of an away trip is to meet the oppo and have a bit natter with them. You can talk to your own fans anytime)
  • Good night out (we normally stay over on trips away in England even if its fairly close by)
  • Good ground (We prefer the older grounds with a bit of character rather than the new builds)

Putting the above to the test against the Scottish grounds I have been to (done 26 of the 42), I would put my current favourites as;

• Queen of the South
  • Partick Thistle
  • Annan Athletic

Also a shout out for Arbroath, Forfar and the two Edinburgh clubs if nothing else than they are in Edinburgh so ticks the night out box.

In England some of my favourites are ones that many would not expect;

• Hull City
  • Swansea City
  • Portsmouth
  • Leicester City
  • Birmingham City
  • York City
  • Norwich City
  • Peterborough United
  • Derby County
  • Stoke City
  • Nottingham Forest
  • Doncaster Rovers
  • Sheffield Wednesday
  • Huddersfield Town

All the above have provided us with a great day at the footy and a cracking night out.

Thank you for completing guys!

Roker you are welcome to complete the survey, I have an option for people who either don't support a football team or have another British team.

Palmy, I agree about the difficulty in picking one favourite away day but decided to have only one because if I did multiple then I could get inconsistent results if some fans are saying 10 teams and others only 1!

Archived