Scotland v Qatar

Lyle Lanley

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How fatal is it likely to be though?

Assuming it's 9 groups composing 5 or 6 teams with seedings based on the World Ranking position we would currently be in amongst the 3rd Group of seeds: Ukraine, Russia (assuming UEFA include them on same basis as France are for Euro 2016), Poland, Iceland, Wales, Scotland, Serbia, Northern Ireland and Sweden.

Below that the next few teams are Hungary, Slovenia and Turkey. Turkey probably have too much to do in terms of overtaking us but the other two possibly might. Upcoming fixtures for teams below us in the World Rankings are:

Serbia: Portugal (A) Mar 29, Denmark (A) June 13

Northern Ireland: Scotland (A) Mar 25, Finland (H) Mar 29, Romania (H) Jun 13

Sweden: Moldova (A) Mar 27, Iran (H) Mar 31, Norway (A) Jun 8, Montenegro (H) Jun 14

Hungary: Greece (H) Mar 29, Finland (A) Jun 13

Slovenia: San Marino (H) Mar 27, Qatar (A) Mar 30, England (H) Jun 14

Turkey: Netherlands (A) Mar 28, Luxembourg (A) Mar 31, Kazakhstan (A) Jun 12

I know there are no ranking points to be gained against Gibraltar but I don't see a friendly in June against Qatar as being catastrophic in terms of us remaining alongside the third seeds unless we lose all these games and everyone below us wins theirs.

Someone with more time on their hands will know how many ranking points ourselves and those alongside us stand to gain and lose between now and July when the draw is made.

The second pot is well within our grasp if we beat Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland. Playing Qatar could mess that up, even if we beat them.

Not really IMO, if we pick up a win it can only be a good thing. plus the coefficient points is always a well needed bonus

Actually this game could HURT our coefficient. You get more points for beating a team higher up the rankings, and your ranking is an average number of points per game you've played, so even if you win a game it can hurt your ranking if you score less points than your current average.

I'm seething about this game because it guarantees we're in pot 3 for the world cup now whereas before this was announced we'd have been in pot 2 had we won in Dublin. Wish we could have just played Qatar later on in the year tbh

Actually this game could HURT our coefficient. You get more points for beating a team higher up the rankings, and your ranking is an average number of points per game you've played, so even if you win a game it can hurt your ranking if you score less points than your current average.

I'm seething about this game because it guarantees we're in pot 3 for the world cup now whereas before this was announced we'd have been in pot 2 had we won in Dublin. Wish we could have just played Qatar later on in the year tbh

Was that not the reason The Netherlands ended up being a lower seed in the WC, as they played (and beat) Indonesia but that hurt their coefficient?

Was that not the reason The Netherlands ended up being a lower seed in the WC, as they played (and beat) Indonesia but that hurt their coefficient?

Yup, I believe it also was the reason why Wales were in the lowest pot for the world cup qualifying last time round (and, of course, ended up drawing us and beating us twice)

If we are assuming SFA actually know about how the world rankings work (and I say that in all seriousness: as friendly decisions in times past have been decidedly suspect) - my guess would be they rate the improved relations with Qatar and/or a fee (if there is one) and/or the opportunity to play a preparation match ahead of the Eire match, above the opportunity to rise a pot in the WC qualifiers.

Doubt we'll ever know, tbf.

If we are assuming SFA actually know about how the world rankings work (and I say that in all seriousness: as friendly decisions in times past have been decidedly suspect) - my guess would be they rate the improved relations with Qatar and/or a fee (if there is one) and/or the opportunity to play a preparation match ahead of the Eire match, above the opportunity to rise a pot in the WC qualifiers.

Doubt we'll ever know, tbf.

Exactly. I'd be amazed (and disappointed) if they're doing this friendly for football reasons. I imagine it's more down to the new relations between the two countries, one of the provisos presumably being a friendly. Not that that's much better, but it's at least a reason beyond the incompetence of the SFA.

In the end, playing any friendly is going to be better than playing none at all, which was the tactic until recently. Holland is an example of it going wrong, but they're higher in the rankings, so any mistakes are magnified by better sides around them overtaking. This game won't help compared to one against a team higher up, but it shouldn't be the death knell some are making out.

Or maybe it will. f**k all we can do about it really.

So you'd rather get zero points from it by actively sabotaging the game from a rankings perspective, rather than some points by having a chance of beating them?

^^^ Doesn't understand how points work.

Your coefficient is determined by total number of points / total number of games played.

Your number of points from a given match is determined by, among other things, the ranking of the opposition.

If you beat a team that's low enough down the rankings it can actually hurt your coefficient.

^^^ Doesn't understand how points work.

Your coefficient is determined by total number of points / total number of games played.

Your number of points from a given match is determined by, among other things, the ranking of the opposition.

If you beat a team that's low enough down the rankings it can actually hurt your coefficient.

Fair enough, my mistake, I wasn't aware that the average was taken at the end of each period to get the totals.

Still, would actively sabotaging in this way mean the match was completely missed off, as though we'd never played it, or would it count as a 0 towards it? Suspect it's the former, but don't know.

EDIT: On reading stuff around Netherlands fail last year, looks like it's just completely null and void, so might be beneficial.

In that case, if the SFA do their calculations before the game (a stretch, I know) and there is no chance of keeping the rankings static, then yes, sabotage the shit out of the game. Given it's mentioned to be in June, then it's pretty likely. Looks like a possible maximum of around 230 points for a win based on where Qatar are now, which means they'd have to jump around fifty places before the score wouldn't hurt our average.

Archived