The top 4 shake out.

Getting toward the pointy end of season now, and having kept an eye on the table since Xmas it is the first time Stranraer have been off the top spot since then. I also noticed that all 4 teams have conceded 30 goals a piece.

So with between 9 and 11 games to go do we think these will be the top 4 or is there something about to change the table?

For what it is worth I was really hoping for a title show down on the last day of season between the best team I have seen (Stranraer) and my own team Brechin at the Glebe. I do rather suspect Morton with their squad are probably favourites to win the league, and I would like the other 3 to be in the play offs.

Or do Peterheid and the Pars really have it in them too to damage those aspirations?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting toward the pointy end of season now, and having kept an eye on the table since Xmas it is the first time Stranraer have been off the top spot since then. I also noticed that all 4 teams have conceded 30 goals a piece.

So with between 9 and 11 games to go do we think these will be the top 4 or is there something about to change the table?

For what it is worth I was really hoping for a title show down on the last day of season between the best team I have seen (Stranraer) and my own team Brechin at the Glebe. I do rather suspect Morton with their squad are probably favourites to win the league, and I would like the other 3 to be in the play offs.

Or do Peterheid and the Pars really have it in them too to damage those aspirations?

I think last night might well prove to be a turning point.

Morton's impressive run of results (despite not looking quite so impressive on the pitch at times) will have Stranraer, Forfar and Brechin worried; grinding out results when often not playing particularly well is the stuff that champions are made of, and while it's too early to say that the other three's bottles have crashed I think the results of the last four days have certainly introduced a few cracks in them.

Morton's additions to the squad in January, plus getting McManus back from Aberdeen, means they certainly have the strongest first-team pool of the four, and if they keep their nerve and focus (and keep McDonald fit) they should be favourites to finish top.

I think Stranraer will be a close second, with Forfar and Brechin fighting it out for third. I can't see the Pars getting into the playoff spots without a big improvement in form, but I think they will finish above Peterheid.

Comparing the teams since Morton made their January signings is interesting. Each team has played seven :

Morton have 17 points out of 21 and have scored 15 for the loss of 4

Stranraer have 10 points out of 21 - 3 wins, 3 losses and a draw and have scored 10 (including 5 v Dunfermline) for the loss of 7

Brechin have 15 points - 4 wins and 3 draws scoring 9 and losing 4

Forfar have 12 points - 4 wins and 3 losses scoring 8 and losing 7

Clearly Morton and Brechin are the current form teams with Morton scoring more freely as you would expect with their striking options.

Forfar's next three games are Morton away, Peterhead away ( next Tuesday) then Stranraer at home. They probably need at least a draw at Cappielow and to win the other two to remain championship contenders

Forfar and Brechin have still to come to Cappielow whereas Morton and Stranraer meet at Stair park on the second last game of the season. I am hoping it's all over by then as I would not want to be going there needing to take something from the game. Current form though makes Morton clear favorites for the title.

Beginning to look like Morton will stay at the top from now on.

No question Stranraer and Brechin will be 2nd and 3rd, it doesn't really matter as they'll play each other in the play off semi.

4th is a bit trickier. With Forfar's next games against the top three and Peterhead and Dunfermline's next three against the bottom three, we'll have a better idea then.

Don't see Peterhead or Airdrie making up the ground.

For me it's going to be:

Morton

Brechin

Stranraer

Dunfermline

I think the top four will stay as it is between now and the end of the season. Morton will win the division by virtue of their impressive strike force, but second, third and fourth and are all interchangeable.

I have no idea why people think Dunfermline will suddenly gatecrash the top four - they've been poor throughout the season and shown no sign of "turning the corner". Granted, their run-in is a little more straightforward than their rivals, but I think it would be remiss to expect Brechin and Forfar to lose enough games to allow them to sneak into the final play-off place.

Morton have developed an uncanny ability to hang on by their fingernails when the opposition look like overrunning them but they are equally always likely to score on the break. Our last two games at Peterhead and then at Cappielow v Stirling were perfect examples where for long spells the opposition looked well on top but could not score then Morton run out comfortable winners thanks to strikers that are way too good for this level.

Fancy us to do it. We have hit form at the right time. Still not lost since we signed Caldwell,Forbes,Peaso and brought back McManus. We also have no injuries at a key point in the season.

Think Brechin will give us more of a challenge than Stranraer.

Fancy Peterhead to catch Forfar as well. Airdrie are just to far behind and the Pars just want this season to end.

1. Morton.

2. Brechin.

3. Stranraer.

4 Peterhead.

I was shocked to realise last night that we actually have the joint best defensive record in the league - ourselves, Stranraer, Brechin and Forfar have all conceded 30. That's a clear reflection of how we've improved all over the park, not just up front, considering how much of a shambles the defence was earlier in the season.

I think we're now favourites for the first time this season. We're still far from certain to win it but our current form is extremely encouraging, and we now actually have a bit of depth. Earlier in the season if McManus got injured or had a poor game we were essentially fucked, now we've got options to change things.

If we are to win the league I think we need to be at least four points ahead when we go to Stair Park on the second last day: going there needing to win would not be nice.

Regardless of who wins it, there's no doubt that the current top four will be the top four at the end of the season. Even if someone has a collapse and goes on a terrible run, I doubt Peterhead, Dunfermline and Airdrie have enough to capitalise on it. Peterhead and Dunfermline don't have the consistency and Airdrie left it too late to improve.

Fancy us to do it. We have hit form at the right time. Still not lost since we signed Caldwell,Forbes,Peaso and brought back McManus. We also have no injuries at a key point in the season.

Think Brechin will give us more of a challenge than Stranraer.

Fancy Peterhead to catch Forfar as well. Airdrie are just to far behind and the Pars just want this season to end.

1. Morton.

2. Brechin.

3. Stranraer.

4 Peterhead.

Peterhead are 2 games (and have managed 1 point from those) into 5 games in a fortnight which is tough on a part time side. If anyone is an outsider for the top four its Airdrie who are playing well but it will take one of the present top four to go on a pretty bad run.

I think it'll finish:

1. Morton

2. Stranraer

3. Brechin

4. Forfar

Forfar have a difficult run in and their next 3 games are crucial if they want to have any chance of winning the league. I'd say they have to pick up at least 7 points out of 9 if they're going to mount any credible title challenge.

Brechin are on a terrific 16 match unbeaten run and it'll go to the wire between them, Stranraer and ourselves. Although they have played a large amount of games in a short space of time, will that start to take it's toll?

Stranraer haven't impressed at either visit to Cappielow but they're obviously getting results against every other team.

We aren't playing great but we are grinding out results which is a good sign. Our strike force is far too good for this level and they're all contributing to a goal every game whether it's a goal or an assist. Our defence is still a bit shaky but it has improved a lot.

Agree with what Dunning said, I would like to have a decent gap between ourselves and Stranraer going into the second last game of the season. I wouldn't like to go there having to get a result.

Forfar have a very tough run in, their next 4 games are about as tough a run of 4 games as you'll get in this league. They'll fall away, it's just whether any team can put a run of wins together to make up the gap. I think Forfar will hang on to 4th just. Morton will win the league. Brechin and Stranrear 2nd and 3rd.

Forfar have a very tough run in, their next 4 games are about as tough a run of 4 games as you'll get in this league. They'll fall away, it's just whether any team can put a run of wins together to make up the gap. I think Forfar will hang on to 4th just. Morton will win the league. Brechin and Stranrear 2nd and 3rd.

Yes but after that we then play Stirling (h) Stenny (a) Airdrie (h)

I think we would only really need 4 wins out of the last 10 to make sure of top 4.

Can't see Airdrie or Peterhead putting a run of 3/4 wins on the bounce to make any real inroads.

Yes but after that we then play Stirling (h) Stenny (a) Airdrie (h)

I think we would only really need 4 wins out of the last 10 to make sure of top 4.

Can't see Airdrie or Peterhead putting a run of 3/4 wins on the bounce to make any real inroads.

Airdrie are undefeated in their last six games and have won the last three. Those six include draws with Brechin and Stranraer and a 3-1 over Forfar. They have probably left it too late but currently they are racking up the points faster than two of the top four. Games will probably run out but I don't doubt they will at least have say in how the top four shakes out.

Airdrie more than Peterhead and Dunfermline would be the team I would look out for to take our place in the top 4. They had a similar excellent run at end of last season, looked very competent in despatching us a few weeks ago and as you say are on a good run of form. They really would have to have virtually no slip ups though and for our home form (which is the best in the league) to desert us too.

Archived